Is EJ a franchise QB?

Kirby Jackson

Is EJ a franchise QB?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that EJ will be a franchise QB?

I honestly believe that the Bills will make a play for a Foles, Cousins or maybe even Bradford and it will not be Manuel or one of the garbage free agents. Or they are in love with one of the second tier QB's in the draft and they will take them at 50 and have them battle it out with McCown. I believe this because I truly think Pegula is looking to make a splash and that they have a grander plan.

Unlike Brady or Manning, Foles' arm can't compensate for his lack of athleticism. Cousins' confidence is shot and Bradford is made of glass. I think Manuel is a better option than all three, he's definitely a better option over Cousins or Bradford.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be depressed if they brought in Cousins. I've never actually seen a QB's eyes in the exact moment where everything started to fall apart, like I did watching Cousins against the Giants last year. He was slinging the ball one moment, and then bam, zero confidence. It terrified me because before that I thought he had moxie.

Geez then how did you feel after watching EJ against San Diego and Houston last year?

Unlike Brady or Manning, Foles' arm can't compensate for his lack of athleticism. Cousins' confidence is shot and Bradford is made of glass. I think Manuel is a better option than all three, he's definitely a better option over Cousins or Bradford.

Definitely? EJ Manuel is "definitely" a better option than Sam Bradford? If you polled non-Buffalo Bills fans across the country and asked them who they felt is a better option at QB- EJ Manuel or Sam Bradford, I think the results might surprise you a little bit.

No.

Not everyone is Joe Flacco when it comes to throwing the deep ball. It's almost non existent in Peyton and Brady's games.

To be a "franchise" QB you need to be able to read defenses like you were in their meetings and accurately get the ball quickly to guys in a position they can make something happen. EJ is a great kid, great head on his shoulders, prototypical size, nice arm, but the short accuracy simply isn't there. Not every completion is created equal and I worry this is what trips people up who only look at numbers. An NFL qb needs to not only complete passes, but put the ball in a window that positions your guy to run after the catch and not get killed when their head is turned. Watching the games last year, it looked like the receivers no longer trusted him to maximize their safety. You simply can't routinely get a guy killed or miss on the short throws. EJ doesn't have the short accuracy.

Geez then how did you feel after watching EJ against San Diego and Houston last year?

Definitely? EJ Manuel is "definitely" a better option than Sam Bradford? If you polled non-Buffalo Bills fans across the country and asked them who they felt is a better option at QB- EJ Manuel or Sam Bradford, I think the results might surprise you a little bit.

Bradford is always hurt. ALWAYS. That hugely factors into Manuel being the better option. There is no escaping the reality of Bradford being a walking injury just waiting to happen.

Billsfan keeps making this out to be biased to show how few supporters there are but a supporter and a voter of "no" dont have to be seperate. You can support him but not think he is going to be a franchise guy. I personally dont think he will ever develop but I will still root for him to prove me wrong. I root for anyone that puts the jersey on, just because I vote no here or that I understand the logic of trying to get rid of him now (although I prefer a trade) doesnt mean I hate him.

Edited by jletha

Billsfan keeps making this out to be biased to show how few supporters there are but a supporter and a voter of "no" dont have to be seperate. You can support him but not think he is going to be a franchise guy. I personally dont think he will ever develop but I will still root for him to prove me wrong. I root for anyone that puts the jersey on, just because I vote no here or that I understand the logic of trying to get rid of him now (although I prefer a trade) doesnt mean I hate him.

Exactly.

Bradford is always hurt. ALWAYS. That hugely factors into Manuel being the better option. There is no escaping the reality of Bradford being a walking injury just waiting to happen.

...and EJ has always sucked. ALWAYS. Back to square one at QB, I guess. AGAIN!

I'll admit I've seen EJ noticeably lose confidence a few different times, but never anything like Cousins in that game. It's the worst I can remember seeing in football.

That's the point. If you think that he will be its a yes. If you think that he won't be its a no. I don't care where. The coaching staff has to make a decision based on what has happened to this point. TBD has a lot to say on the topic so we should go on record with what we think as well.

That's simply not true. The coaching staff (and management) can and hopefully are considering "he has a chance" as the perfectly sensible position at this point - 14 starts into his career.

Keeping him on the roster and/or giving him a chance to compete (the only decision at hand today) does not mean they have to believe (with any certainty) he will be a franchise QB.

Edited by BobChalmers

That's simply not true. The coaching staff (and management) can and hopefully are considering "he has a chance" as the perfectly sensible position at this point - 14 starts into his career.

I wouldn't disagree with this sentiment. However I would hope that bills fan 4 ever and the rest of the EJ dreamers out there would entrust the new coaching staff with looking at game footage of Manuel and if they decide that the verdict is in, they've seen enough and it's simply not happening for him, that they would respect that choice as well. It is not far-fetched for someone to reach that conclusion. Personally I think the whole Leroi thing is BS and he will not get cut and will be given one more chance to prove himself. I just don't think he will be able to win the job.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Hyperbole at its finest.

They can't come up with a QB option that's better than Manuel so tearing him down with comments like that is the only thing left to do.

They're frustrated because Manuel didn't magically turn into Andrew Luck. They were told he was going to take some time and he performed exactly as advertised. These fans just don't have the patience for it. It's a shame that they feel they have to go overboard when they know that Manuel has shown some real flashes for clutch play which is THE main trait for becoming a franchise QB. 1 fourth quarter comeback, 3 game winning drives and that Falcon game in Toronto sans fumbled clutch passes were not imaginary.