RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't imagine Whaley wouldn't want to recover some dignity on the EJ pick by seeing what he can do in the new system. Rex won 8 games with Geno effing Smiff for chrissakes.

I wish we knew how much of the EJ pick was on Whaley. I know he came out and said it was a team decision, yada, yada, yada, but that's all just media speech. Either he was a big part of the pick or not. From the outside looking in, that pick wreaks of reeks of Nix, but I'll admit that may just be my hope.

Either way, I won't crucify a guy for one bad pick, but it just looks especially bad when the opinion of EJ was overwhelmingly low from all outlets.

More to the point of you're question, it may be out of his hands. Rex reports to the Pegulas, not Whaley. If he wants EJ gone and a clean slate, Whaley might not have much say in the matter.

Rex is in charge of the roster, correct?

EJ is on the roster, correct?

Rex has not coached EJ one minute, correct?

How has RexRoman evaluated EJ?

Film? Gimme a break, you don't know until you see how he responds to YOUR coaching YOURSELF.

The former regime's beliefs? If you took over a company would you fire a once, very recently, highly regarded employee based on his evals or would you want to see for yourself?

By evaluators, I mean the Pro Scouts.

And by now, Rex and Roman have had plenty of time to evaluate tape. In fact, I'd expect that 75% of Rex's time and 90% of Roman's time have been spent evaluating the QB position on the team.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Whaley is in charge of the roster. Rex has influence.

If this rumor is out, it is because the evaluations are completed.

I cll BS on this guy. No way they are cutting EJ, it would be retarded to do so. How could anyone know exactly what EJ is capable of, he was never given a fair opportunity, with all the changes and such that we have had and this is coming from someone who is not a big EJ fan.

Can't imagine Whaley wouldn't want to recover some dignity on the EJ pick by seeing what he can do in the new system. Rex won 8 games with Geno effing Smiff for chrissakes.

That's Schmiff to you...

Sincerely,

Michael Irvin

Someone please refute the following statements, and then explain how anyone would advocate cutting him:

1. At his worst, EJ performed at a level equal to or better than most 2nd-string QBs in the NFL.

2. EJ is extraordinarily professional, smart, a hard worker, and universally liked by his teammates.

3. Cutting EJ is a bad move financially for the dead money cap hit.

1. They aren't looking for a backup QB, they are looking for 2 guys who can compete to be the starter

2. There's a lot of smart, hard working, well liked people who can't play QB at a NFL level

3. The dead money is overblown. It likely doesn't affect what we'd do this FA period and it's either take the hit now or take it later.

We are desperate to find an alternative to EJ.

We feel McCown is an upgrade to Orton.

Roman and him are good friends. Look for this to be completed tomorrow AM, also look for EJ to be cut two days after FA opens.

Imo

I would really like to know who the "we" is in that sentence? Roman, Ryan, Whaley? Because there is some serious stupidity in that statement just looking over Ortons and McCowns career records.

One guy went 7-5 last year on a bad offense with some really bad offensive coaching, very young WR's, and almost no run game behind him. Along with a pass happy imbecile calling 40+ pass plays a game, and couldn't build a decent run game to save his life, or his job. . That same QB has a 42-40 overall record with 101 TD's vs 69 INT's.

The other guy (McClown) went 1-10 with 11 TD's vs 14 INT's with WR's Mike Evans, and Vincent Jackson who both caught passes for 1000 yards last year. His career record is 17-32 with 61 TD's vs 59 INT's.

I have to think EJ is better then McClown! If this is Greg Roman that wants this move, then I don't see the Bills winning many games this year...sadly.

By evaluators, I mean the Pro Scouts.

And by now, Rex and Roman have had plenty of time to evaluate tape. In fact, I'd expect that 75% of Rex's time and 90% of Roman's time have been spent evaluating the QB position on the team.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Whaley is in charge of the roster. Rex has influence.

If this rumor is out, it is because the evaluations are completed.

If evaluations are complete then they are complete BS. There is no benefit to cutting Manuel at this time. (if there are, please provide them)

If evaluations are complete then they are complete BS. There is no benefit to cutting Manuel at this time. (if there are, please provide them)

Financially, it would be dumb. I concede.

For Morale, it might be smart. You are telling the players that you are moving to a Patriots/Seahawks style of evaluation. "We are serious when we say that the best players will play, and if you cant help us, you are out, NO MATTER YOUR DRAFT STATUS."

1. They aren't looking for a backup QB, they are looking for 2 guys who can compete to be the starter

2. There's a lot of smart, hard working, well liked people who can't play QB at a NFL level

3. The dead money is overblown. It likely doesn't affect what we'd do this FA period and it's either take the hit now or take it later.

Thanks for the effort, but aside from #3 (which I agree with) I think you're off base. I can't think of a team that wouldn't want a guy like EJ as their backup -- if he can't win a starting job outright.

As for point #2, it relates to point #1 -- EJ has shown he can play QB at an NFL level; we just don't know if he can do it consistently enough to be a starter.

(OT completely. Irrelevant to the discussion. But if I ever had a doubt that you was a brotha, those doubts are gone. And if you aint, we might have to fight) :flirt:

Edited by maddenboy

Because there's another FA or trade option they believe will be better competition with McCown. The dead money is soo overblown. We can easily have $35-40 mil in cap space and unless Revis shakes free or a miracle trade for a guy like Rivers happens we likely won't use all of it. Why keep a guy on the roster when you've evaluated players to be better than him to save $2.5 mil of cap space?

Again, what does it cost to take him into training camp/preseason then, to see who wins out?

For Morale, it might be smart. You are telling the players that you are moving to a Patriots/Seahawks style of evaluation. "We are serious when we say that the best players will play, and if you cant help us, you are out, NO MATTER YOUR DRAFT STATUS."

"we will cut guys months before we need to causing unneeded risk, just to send a message"

doesnt sound like the smartest message. you keep EJ til august and if he doesnt win a spot he doesnt win.

If this is true I have to assume that the deal on day 1 of FA is a trade that has already been worked out and not a move for a FA QB. And if that is the case then maybe it's not such a bad thing. Either way this offseason is set to be the most exciting one I can remember in a while and I'm ready to see it all play out however it does.

Can trades he made before the start of the league year? If so why wait? And Leroi said McCown/Locker. Why trade for Locker? If a deal has been made with Locker, it is tampering.

"we will cut guys months before we need to causing unneeded risk, just to send a message"

doesnt sound like the smartest message. you keep EJ til august and if he doesnt win a spot he doesnt win.

Sending a message would make sense if EJ was trouble behind the scenes, but otherwise... it's a head scratcher.

The best are determined by head to head competition. Just like last off season was BS because no competition was brought in, this will be BS if Manuel is cut before being able to take part in a competition among what appears to be limited competition.

Again, what does it cost to take him into training camp/preseason then, to see who wins out?

It can potentially cost a guy they actually want to sign here because he sees the 1st round pick from 2 years ago on the roster.

People can say "well I don't want a guy that doesn't want competition" all they want but the simple truth is given the last 15 years of history and the geographical location we are already fighting an uphill battle. For some of these signings it'll come down to splitting hairs. If Rex & Roman are completely out on EJ, I can't blame them for removing a potential roadblock to a guy they do believe in.