RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

How do you know they have Sanchez lined up?

I don't. But IF parting ways with Manuel is in the works at this time, then the Bills already know who their next QB is going to be. Free agency stuff gets worked out under the table every year. Sanchez is a logical QB due to the Ryan connection. It could be Locker or someone else (although I'm not sure who). But one things for sure, you don't cut your first round QB so soon without a better plan than Josh McCown and Jeff Tuel.

Here is a link to EJ's contract. Use the drop down tab to show the effects of cutting him versus trading him. As his base salaries this year and next are fully guaranteed the Bills would be better off trading him for almost nothing than cutting him:

http://overthecap.com/player/ej-manuel/2197/

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCown sucks and is an obvious DOWNGRADE from Orton. The numbers don't lie. EJ was a 3 yr project when they drafted him so cutting him after yr 2 makes no sense. This is nonsense and is going to hurt Leroi's credibility on this board if proven false

It also means someone "Locker-ish." Fantastic, huh? Not much improvement imo.

Perhaps you're right Yolo, but I'm holding out hope (blindly, I suppose) that something bigger is on the horizon that's probably been mentioned but we haven't realistically considered.

I would not be happy with this whatsoever...

It's just dumb...And I'm certainly not the biggest EJ backer in the world...

But in his 14 starts...at the very least...I think EJ has shown the ability to be a better-than-average back-up QB...And if the kid can ever figure out how to hit open receivers in stride he'll be a top 15 QB in this league easy...

Now...I'm not saying EJ will even be able to fix his one glaring weakness...But IMHO it's pretty much his only glaring weakness...If he can fix the too low, too high, behind the receiver-thing EJ would actually be a pretty decent NFL QB...And after only 14 starts and two seasons I can't see why the Bills would give up on the kid already...Especially considering by all accounts he's a good kid, a good teammate, and likes it in Buffalo... B-)

Something is so strange with the EJ situation. Yes, he deserved to be benched after the Houston game, but for him to be placed in permanent purgatory without the possibility of parole was very unusual for a young 1st round QB without off-field issues.

So, we all figured it Marrone just didn't care for the kid and that was that. He stubbornly refused to play EJ again barring catastrophic injury to Orton, maybe out of spite to Whaley or maybe out of personal issues he had with Manuel, or maybe some combination of factors we aren't privy to.

However, even after Marrone resigned, EJ's biggest cheerleader, Whaley himself, refused to defend or endorse Manuel. Just gave luke-warm references to him having an opportunity to compete - like he was no better than Tuel. Ryan also hemmed and hawed when asked where EJ stood.

Fact is, nobody in the organization stood up after Marrone fled the scene and said they believed EJ would be The Man. I would have expected the opposite, especially from a GM looking to justify his reach by drafting EJ about 20 spots ahead of where he was forecast to be picked.

Now, we hear rumors he will be unceremoniously released. It's so unusual how swift and permanent the turn against EJ was that I can't help but wonder if behind the scenes something is amiss. Maybe he isn't who he appears to be in his public facing persona?

Look, I have no idea what's going on, and I'm no EJ defender by a long shot, but the whole EJ saga has had me scratching my head from the moment we picked him, and has only grown more bizarre over time.

Edited by negativo

This thread should be closed. The Bills aren't going to cut E.J. Makes absolutely no sense. I could see if he was a knucklehead but he isn't.

damn straight,. If the OP can't provide a link then lock it down

Ignorance of the EJ haters knows no bounds

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

even so -- say its bradford and mccown -- why cut EJ before they both make it through preseason healthy?

Exactly, it costs virtually nothing to have one more layer of insurance at the most important position in the game.

damn straight,. If the OP can't provide a link then lock it down

Ignorance of the EJ haters knows no bounds

There is a link in the OP, it's to the post made by Leroi. Leroi has gotten the scoop on the national media twice that I know of, so a link to what he said is as worthy to a tweet by some national reporter.

This isn't to say it's not true, but calling for the thread to be closed is wrong IMO.

EDIT: Scooped them 3x actually...he called the Marrone to Jax as OLine coach pretty early on.

Edited by Acantha