I'll say it now: Jameis Winston = Jimmy Clausen Part II

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus: He is making all the thows at the combine. Never really a question on that though.

Minus: You can't really give him credit for all of his 2nd half comebacks when the reason the comebacks are necessary is because he is so sloppy in the 1st half. You can't throw 4 picks in a half in the NFL and then expect to win because the players on your team are just way more talented than the other team. More of a level playing field in the NFL.

His attitude reminds me of Cam Newton, which really isnt that bad. But he will need to learn to handle losing better than he did when he lost his one game in college. Went nuts on sideline with coach threatening to bench him.

But seriously... my main concern is whether Mr Magoo is going to get some damn contacts when he gets to the pros

B1PThOsIAAAIdit.jpg

Lots of his INT's were due to freshmen wideouts not being in the right spot or giving up on the route, the others Winston was flat out pressing and trying to do too much. Lots of good QB's do it. Matt Ryan threw, what, 18, 19 INT's as a senior at BC? Winston was just a RS Soph, he's putting on a clinic at the combine. Mariota still waiting for his WR's to make their break before throwing the ball, Winston's ball is already in the air before the wideout makes his cut. Both are looking like solid prospects, for sure. But Jameis to me in the safer on field prospect. Not as good of an athlete but a true QB.

Plus: He is making all the thows at the combine. Never really a question on that though.

Minus: You can't really give him credit for all of his 2nd half comebacks when the reason the comebacks are necessary is because he is so sloppy in the 1st half. You can't throw 4 picks in a half in the NFL and then expect to win because the players on your team are just way more talented than the other team. More of a level playing field in the NFL.

His attitude reminds me of Cam Newton, which really isnt that bad. But he will need to learn to handle losing better than he did when he lost his one game in college. Went nuts on sideline with coach threatening to bench him.

But seriously... my main concern is whether Mr Magoo is going to get some damn contacts when he gets to the pros

B1PThOsIAAAIdit.jpg

:w00t::lol:

As I said - others are entitled to their opinion as I am mine. Hopefully you saw the combine today - because there was one QB that completely stood out today with everything he did and it was Jameis. From his throws to his interactions with the other players to the presence he commanded on the field - he was special. Oh - and both he and Mariota actually did the damn Qb drills unlike Luck. Props to both - as I never understood why QB's refused to participate. The kid is a special talent and it is going to be fun watching him in the pros - as to the guy that knocked the other fsu qb's - i have watched all of the since charlie ward and winston is in a different league. I like ej as a person - but he is no where bear the same talent as winston.

As I said - others are entitled to their opinion as I am mine. Hopefully you saw the combine today - because there was one QB that completely stood out today with everything he did and it was Jameis. From his throws to his interactions with the other players to the presence he commanded on the field - he was special. Oh - and both he and Mariota actually did the damn Qb drills unlike Luck. Props to both - as I never understood why QB's refused to participate. The kid is a special talent and it is going to be fun watching him in the pros - as to the guy that knocked the other fsu qb's - i have watched all of the since charlie ward and winston is in a different league. I like ej as a person - but he is no where bear the same talent as winston.

This. You can end the thread right here. Good day, gentlemen.

Dude he faced adversity all year. He got hit a ton. He had a young receiving corps. They were behind numerous games and with the exception of Oregon he led them back every time. His mental makeup is fantastic. He picked up Jimbo Fishers offense incredibly quick which is a pro system. He was accepted into Stanford coming out of high school. I take exception to this as a FSU fan. The dude will not be Ponder because his physical tools are far superior to him. He won't be Manual because his football processing information is way better. ITa amazing how you bring up Roethlisberger to me. Wasn't he accused of raping someone in a bar? Man his football makeup is gonna be terrible. What a bust he'll be. Give me a break.

Dude was proven innocent of the rape allegations 3 separate times by the state attorney, by the Tallahassee PD, and by a reputable 3rd party judge in the code of conduct hearing at the school. Screaming FHITP is something stupid that every young guy has done one time or another in some manner.

If she was raped why didn't she file a civil suit? Why is she doing a documentary about her story for money? Why are there rumors of her asking for 7 million dollars to keep her mouth shut. Why is she apart of a group called the cleat chasers. Your probably the type of guy that was repulsed when you found out the Duke Lacrosse team raped the two girls and then it was later found out they both lied about it for attention.

My point about Flacco AND Rothlisberger related to their being in non-powerhouse divisions and teams (when others claim Winston has to be good because he played against the SEC). The way I see it is you are the exact type of fan this thread was aimed at...stroking this kid's ego before he takes step one onto an NFL field. I suppose you were a Johnny Footfungus fan as well?

And don't presuppose how I reacted to the Duke LaCrosse scandal...last time I checked those players weren't causing damage to their dorms, taking soda from restaurants, stealing crab legs, or being investigated for paid autographs...but again, Jameis gets coddled and stroked for being "da' man"....no charges. It really is laughable.

My point about Flacco AND Rothlisberger related to their being in non-powerhouse divisions and teams (when others claim Winston has to be good because he played against the SEC). The way I see it is you are the exact type of fan this thread was aimed at...stroking this kid's ego before he takes step one onto an NFL field. I suppose you were a Johnny Footfungus fan as well?

And don't presuppose how I reacted to the Duke LaCrosse scandal...last time I checked those players weren't causing damage to their dorms, taking soda from restaurants, stealing crab legs, or being investigated for paid autographs...but again, Jameis gets coddled and stroked for being "da' man"....no charges. It really is laughable.

No I don't like Johnny Manziel at all actually because I knew he wouldn't be a good NFL QB just like I cringed when the Bills drafted Manuel. Manuel will never be a good starting NFL QB. I am not blind because I like Florida State. I call it like I see it. I wouldn't touch either Mario Edwards Jr. or Ronald Darby and both of them are highly thought of draft prospects from FSU. If you can't see the football acumen in Winston then your blind I don't know what to tell you. He was so far ahead of everybody today in drills including Mariotta.

Dude he faced adversity all year. He got hit a ton. He had a young receiving corps. They were behind numerous games and with the exception of Oregon he led them back every time. His mental makeup is fantastic. He picked up Jimbo Fishers offense incredibly quick which is a pro system. He was accepted into Stanford coming out of high school. I take exception to this as a FSU fan. The dude will not be Ponder because his physical tools are far superior to him. He won't be Manual because his football processing information is way better. ITa amazing how you bring up Roethlisberger to me. Wasn't he accused of raping someone in a bar? Man his football makeup is gonna be terrible. What a bust he'll be. Give me a break.

Dude was proven innocent of the rape allegations 3 separate times by the state attorney, by the Tallahassee PD, and by a reputable 3rd party judge in the code of conduct hearing at the school. Screaming FHITP is something stupid that every young guy has done one time or another in some manner.

If she was raped why didn't she file a civil suit? Why is she doing a documentary about her story for money? Why are there rumors of her asking for 7 million dollars to keep her mouth shut. Why is she apart of a group called the cleat chasers. Your probably the type of guy that was repulsed when you found out the Duke Lacrosse team raped the two girls and then it was later found out they both lied about it for attention.

"Dude". watch the documentary.

hi Jameis. Get contacts bro.

Jameis is such a better prospect than Clausen. It's kinda if joke to mention them in the same breathe. Clausen was a rich kid who had a private qb coach since birth and got held back twice to help his career. He was like a robot.

That said, Clausen and Winston share being very unlikable. Clausen was more unlikable because of the douche factor (see Cutler, Jeff George, Losman). There is something about them that makes you want to punch them in the face.

Winston just seems like a dumb @ss. I want my qb to be the most liked, smartest guy in the team. JW just seems like he lacks common sense.

Winston can be either Big Ben or Ryan Leaf (cross racial comparisons!). He will make or break a Gm's career. His numbers this year kinda sucked too.

But for sure, he has all the talent. Just might be a moron.

He melted down during his only career loss (a game in which he played horribly, by the way). What will happen when the losses start racking up in Tampa, or wherever he goes?

Do I care for Winston? No particularly, I wish him the best in all his endeavors and the same goes for the team he ends up on. But to flat out say that one game where he completely collapsed should be defining of him as a QB? Get a grip. Every QB has bad games, it's whether they have the confidence and back bone to continue and strive to be the best.

I don't know if Winston will succeed but I think he has just a good a shot as any in turning around a losing/below average program/team like the Bucs.

He seems to have turned a corner, his interviews even suggest as much. He wants to and believes he can be one of the best. More power to the kid. I think he'll be - at worst - an average QB who can win you 4-6 games a year in a pinch.

Do I care for Winston? No particularly, I wish him the best in all his endeavors and the same goes for the team he ends up on. But to flat out say that one game where he completely collapsed should be defining of him as a QB? Get a grip. Every QB has bad games, it's whether they have the confidence and back bone to continue and strive to be the best.

I don't know if Winston will succeed but I think he has just a good a shot as any in turning around a losing/below average program/team like the Bucs.

He seems to have turned a corner, his interviews even suggest as much. He wants to and believes he can be one of the best. More power to the kid. I think he'll be - at worst - an average QB who can win you 4-6 games a year in a pinch.

4-6 games? Wait....what? I heard he's better than Andrew Luck.

Well...the point was that he had never lost. And this is how he reacted. His next team is the worst in the NFL and he will start off losing a lot of games, under a lot more pressure with more at stake.

Well...the point was that he had never lost. And this is how he reacted. His next team is the worst in the NFL and he will start off losing a lot of games, under a lot more pressure with more at stake.

So losing regular season games at the start of his career for a team in a small pro football market with low expectations will be more pressure filled and have more at stake than the National Championship? :doh:

So losing regular season games at the start of his career for a team in a small pro football market with low expectations will be more pressure filled and have more at stake than the National Championship? :doh:

Of course......oh wait. was that sarcasm--got me!

"low expectations"?? He will be the 1st pick in thee draft. He just said he should be compared to Peyton Manning?

anyone who compares clausen to Winston should be banned from scouting

This is the whole source of these guys on why I keep responding to them. If you think Winston is Clausen or even JaMarcus Russell who was extremely lazy about football then you dont know what your talking about. I have never once said that Winston will have a career like Brady, Montana, or Elway. I honestly think that Winston's floor is something like Matt Schaub. A guy who's around for 10-12 years has 3-4 really good years and is a high volume INT guy. His ceiling is probably Ben Roethlisberger. I know that is a common comparison but it makes a ton of sense. Same figure, same ability to get away from pressure. Has the ability to run but doesnt prefer it. The Roethlisberger comp as his ceiling is perfect. Jimmy Clausen being a comp is just blind hatred for someone spewing out of the mouth.

When Dude is your best retort to an argument I know you dont have much besides the ESPN drivel you have heard for the last year.

Listen to his press conf at the combine...he acts like an entitled douche without an ounce of humility. Russ Wilson he is not...he has the brain of a field mouse.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or think I wrote Russell Wilson so I'm confused.

This is the whole source of these guys on why I keep responding to them. If you think Winston is Clausen or even JaMarcus Russell who was extremely lazy about football then you dont know what your talking about. I have never once said that Winston will have a career like Brady, Montana, or Elway. I honestly think that Winston's floor is something like Matt Schaub. A guy who's around for 10-12 years has 3-4 really good years and is a high volume INT guy. His ceiling is probably Ben Roethlisberger. I know that is a common comparison but it makes a ton of sense. Same figure, same ability to get away from pressure. Has the ability to run but doesnt prefer it. The Roethlisberger comp as his ceiling is perfect. Jimmy Clausen being a comp is just blind hatred for someone spewing out of the mouth.

When Dude is your best retort to an argument I know you dont have much besides the ESPN drivel you have heard for the last year.

If I recall correctly, you introduced the "dude" reference...I simply referred to him as "da' man" (which is the moniker he has relied on both on and off the field). Physical attributes? Sure. Mentality to lead a team (with veterans)? Try again.

4-6 games? Wait....what? I heard he's better than Andrew Luck.

Hahaha, I'm talking at a worse possible scenario.

And in the long run he may very well be better than Luck... :o

You're right, that is the point. He handled it all a little suspect but he was after-all just a 20 year old boy... For crying out loud there is 35-40 year old men I know who can't even handle losing a game of cards or on a video game, let alone their profession. I think he'll handle it better than he has. The interviews at the combine have suggested nothing other than he's prepared to deal with whatever consequences his actions have - be it good or bad.

https://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/569257791015268352

https://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/569259247525081089

https://twitter.com/Cardschatter/status/569257566863278080

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24525604/in-195-hours-of-baseball-football-winston-is-nonstop-and-wants-more

This is some of the stuff you dont hear about Winston. I know people will say oh so he did one good thing but last year ESPN was on a smeer campaign for clicks. Im not trying to change your mind, I can see why people don't like his character all the time but he's done a lot of good things for people as well which is something you dont hear about with him.

If we had the first pick. ..I'd want this kid, without question. He is without a doubt the best QB to come out of college since Luck.

is anyone questioning this? No QB was even considered at #1 the last 2 years. Bortles at 3 last year was even a surprise. Edited by YoloinOhio

Hahaha, I'm talking at a worse possible scenario.

And in the long run he may very well be better than Luck... :o

You're right, that is the point. He handled it all a little suspect but he was after-all just a 20 year old boy... For crying out loud there is 35-40 year old men I know who can't even handle losing a game of cards or on a video game, let alone their profession. I think he'll handle it better than he has. The interviews at the combine have suggested nothing other than he's prepared to deal with whatever consequences his actions have - be it good or bad.

True. But how old will he be in September?

I'mma leave this here and say Winston is everything I wish Manuel was as a player

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000473191/Winston-and-Mooch-simulate-a-draft-interview

The fact that Jameis can describe a red zone play that Mariucci diagramed....that was in Jameis' playbook...that he was on video feed during the interview....is impressive?

You can analyze the minutia to death. Grab meaning out of the shape of chicken nuggets. I saw all I needed to see when he led his team to a national championship in the final minutes of the game against basically an NFL defense.

Is he immature. Of course. Is he an A-hole. Probably. But he sure looks like he "gets it" as a QB on gameday and I wish the Bills had a shot at him.

Edited by JPS

You can analyze the minutia to death. Grab meaning out of the shape of chicken nuggets. I saw all I needed to see when he led his team to a national championship in the final minutes of the game against basically an NFL defense.

Is he immature. Of course. Is he an A-hole. Probably. But he sure looks like he "gets it" as a QB on gameday and I wish the Bills had a shot at him.

not taking anything away from his national championship but what do you mean he beat " basically an nfl defense?" Auburn was ranked 39th in the country in D and only had one defensive player drafted off of that team after they played for the title. They gave up nearly 600 yards to Missouri in the sec championship game. James Franklin had more yards and TDs on them than Winston. Auburn's D is so bad they had to fire the DC this year.