One of the Biggest Busts Ever?

Mark80

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/serious_concern_over_jadeveon_clowneys_knee/18305291

Lots of pundits prior to the draft said that the Texans should steer clear of Clowney at #1 overall. How much do the Texans wish they would have taken Khalil Mack now all things considered?

Remember Greg Oden? Didn't even play a game before the NBAs #1 overall in 2007 had microfracture surgery and has only played about 100 games in his career. When he has played, he was obviously a shell of his old self.

Tough break Jadeveon, hope he can come back from it.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Texans should have taken a Quarterback or traded back and taken a Quarterback for my money. Would that have meant either a reach or shopping the #1 pick for historically low compensation? Probably, but they were a team with defensive talent and Arian Foster. That their 2013 season fell apart was not a true reflection of the team but a reflection of their circumstances. They didn't have a franchise Quarterback, Fitzpatrick was their likely starter and they were unlikely to be drafting that high again this year. Take the Quarterback you think has the best shot to be your franchise guy, use Fitz as a placeholder, continue to build the D in later rounds around JJ Watt and run the ball lots with Foster. As it is Houston is the team probably most like Buffalo. A franchise QB away from competing. When they got a guy to play at a league average level for a couple of years in Matt Schaub they were a play-off team.

The Texans should have taken a Quarterback or traded back and taken a Quarterback for my money. Would that have meant either a reach or shopping the #1 pick for historically low compensation? Probably, but they were a team with defensive talent and Arian Foster. That their 2013 season fell apart was not a true reflection of the team but a reflection of their circumstances. They didn't have a franchise Quarterback, Fitzpatrick was their likely starter and they were unlikely to be drafting that high again this year. Take the Quarterback you think has the best shot to be your franchise guy, use Fitz as a placeholder, continue to build the D in later rounds around JJ Watt and run the ball lots with Foster. As it is Houston is the team probably most like Buffalo. A franchise QB away from competing. When they got a guy to play at a league average level for a couple of years in Matt Schaub they were a play-off team.

Yes, another viable option. Probably didn't want to "look bad" taking a below market (which makes no sense really because the market is really what you can actually get) offer to trade back.

I wouldn't call a guy physically unable to perform a bust. A bust is a guy who is not sick or injured and is terrible. It will be hard to move jamarkus from the number 1 slot.

You must be pretty young. Ryan Leaf was easily a bigger bust than Jamarcus. There were legitimate debates on Peyton vs Leaf for over a year before they were drafted. Jamarcus wasn't projected to be the #1 pick all season long in college, he got hot at the end of the season and the Raiders fell in love with his big arm. Everyone knew Jamarcus was a project with major risk involved, Leaf was supposed to be as sure a bet as you'd get.

At least you gave him some time to prove himself.

The article says they are very concerned about Clowney for 2015 and beyond, meaning, they are concerned about his entire career due to his knees. It's not about proving himself, it's about him possibly being done because of a very bad knee.

Edited by Mark80

I wouldn't call a guy physically unable to perform a bust. A bust is a guy who is not sick or injured and is terrible. It will be hard to move jamarkus from the number 1 slot.

I hear what youre saying and normally I'd agree owing to bad luck, but in this case did he have injuries coming out Texans should have known or was he hiding something? Remember after the draft they announced some kind of hernia surgery. The play that he injured the knee on in NFL sure looked innocent too.

In any case shame if he can't make it back. Was really looking forward to seeing him. Heck of an athlete, his 40 at the combine was breathtaking.

Jadeveon Clowney 40 yard dash - 2014 Combine:

Who, Blake Bortles? He was beyond awful.

It is one year so it's dumb to write off any player. The franchise DE is more valuable than the franchise LB so I understand why they took JC over Mack. Still, maybe the hype on JC was a bit too much. I don't care if he was tripled team every game. He had 3 sacks his last year in college. 3.

Clowney may be a bust in the future...we just don't know. But what about Jordan Palmer. He comes in with his olive oil skin, his smooth voice and a tight spiral...and he collapses. WTF?? We could have done better.

I never considered him a bust. I always look back on the Jordan Palmer era with fondness.

The article says they are very concerned about Clowney for 2015 and beyond, meaning, they are concerned about his entire career due to his knees. It's not about proving himself, it's about him possibly being done because of a very bad knee.

Can a player be a bust because of injuries? I would think it would be based on performance. Tony Mandarich, for example

And how does that make you a bust then? So you have to pick one - give him time to get healthy and prove himself - or you don't think he'll have the chance to because of injuries. Neither is a bust situation.

a career threatening injury can happen to anyone at anytime.

i think it's fair to say, clowney is out for 2015.

i doubt he will be a bust, but this injury, which hinders explosiveness, has probably derailed him from playing at a pro bowl level in the future.

Can a player be a bust because of injuries? I would think it would be based on performance. Tony Mandarich, for example

And how does that make you a bust then? So you have to pick one - give him time to get healthy and prove himself - or you don't think he'll have the chance to because of injuries. Neither is a bust situation.

The term draft bust comes from the phrase "to go bust" meaning bankrupt. It has to do with making a significant investment and getting little to no return on it. It doesn't matter why it happens, just that it happens.