Whaley: Bills have exchanged offers with Hughes

YoloinOhio

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And exactly 0 NFL teams are building championship caliber teams this way.

Oh, you're right. Let's just go out and sign Manning or Brady. OH WAIT, THERE AREN'T PROVEN QBs available. What would you like them to do exactly? It's really easy to complain, but I'm not hearing any solutions from you.

EJ can manage a game and he doesn't turn the ball over. We were in trouble last year because our Oline was horrible and we didn't have a SINGLE hundred yard rusher ALL YEAR, not just because he wasn't playing well. If you build a strong Oline and run behind them, get some easy YAC with short passes, bubble screens (Sammy can run the crap out of those) etc., we should be just fine. The sky isn't falling. EJ has played 12 games and they have not all been awful; he is serviceable. Too many people want us to somehow feature a team with an Offense like the Greatest Show On Turf and simultaneously a Defense like the 85 Bears, that's not gonna happen.

Whaley was on NFL network on Sirius radio today from the combine. Most questions asked came back to... we are going to build our OLine. He hopes some of last years picks make progress, but it sounds like they are serious about some more vets to make the running game, and hence the QB, better. They have the $$$ to keep the DLine together, and I hope they make it happen with Hughes. (Then, in time, Dareus!)

This is not about El Pegula paying him his money......

It is about paying him.....and managing the salary cap so we can also keep Darius, Glenn, all of the future guys we are going to need to keep to keep this team going in the right direction.

Pegula could pull 10.5 million out of seatcushions of his car.....its not the issue.

You can still work out a deal and remove the tag. But doesn't seem like it will be needed.

Right, as a stated in another thread, if the tag is used actually how it was originally intended and they are just trying to buy more time to get a deal done that both sides want to get done, then it's not an issue (unless it precludes you from tagging someone else you need to use it on; I don't see that as the case here). But if you are using the tag just to hang on to a player for another year that you aren't close to signing and aren't optimistic a long term deal is going to get done, it's not a good idea IMO.

There isn't a marquee QB to pay. There is no reason to not spend elsewhere??? Build the best team that you can and when you finally find a franchise QB cross that bridge.

I thought it was interesting that Whaley said "until we find a Franchise QB," and not "Until we find or develop . . . ."

This is not about El Pegula paying him his money......

It is about paying him.....and managing the salary cap so we can also keep Darius, Glenn, all of the future guys we are going to need to keep to keep this team going in the right direction.

Pegula could pull 10.5 million out of seatcushions of his car.....its not the issue.

Actually how much money he has does matter because large signing bonuses and guarantees can keep contracts more cap friendly.

They could dump a pile of money on Mario Williams today by extending him and cutting his cap in half.

Having cash to spend upfront and early in the contract is huge. Pegula changed NHL contracts because of this. And it's actually more beneficial in the NFL for cap purposes.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Actually how much money he has does matter because large signing bonuses and guarantees can keep contracts more cap friendly.

They could dump a pile of money on Mario Williams today by extending him and cutting his cap in half.

Having cash to spend upfront and early in the contract is huge. Pegula changed NHL contracts because of this. And it's actually more beneficial in the NFL for cap purposes.

You are correct in this.....

I just get this feeling that they are going to be heavy into free agency on the O side of the ball......it will be interesting to see how they make all this work.

I like how Hughes played the run this past year......other wise I wouldnt want him back at such a high price even with his sack productivitty

I said it not long after El Pegual took control. He can't let the first stud free agent go on his watch. It's a matter of keeping Hughes, but also making a statement.

It is literally the 1st big free agent in his prime he has had. I've told my Sabre friends we find out what type of owner's the Pegulas are by watching the Bills the next 2 years. Prime talent needs to be paid. Added bonus was a head coach search I did not expect, and he nailed that perfectly.

There isn't a marquee QB to pay. There is no reason to not spend elsewhere??? Build the best team that you can and when you finally find a franchise QB cross that bridge.

Didn't Baltimore win a SB with this approach? How many teams outside of Seattle can throw up the defensive pressure the Bills can? It makes more sense than holding out for some franchise savior to get cut/traded so you can tie up that cap space...

You can still work out a deal and remove the tag. But doesn't seem like it will be needed.

You can, but in this situation it would be almost impossible to reach a long-term deal with him if he is tagged. Hughes is looking at a 5-year deal that will probably give him around $25M guaranteed. The franchise tag value for DE's this year is expected to be just under $15M. A tag would get him ~60% of the expected guaranteed money he would command in a 5-year deal. There would be very little incentive for him to keep negotiations open at that point. Take your guaranteed $15M, play another year next to 3 Pro Bowlers, and start again from square one next year. This is a situation where if he was tagged, his agent would pop a bottle of champagne and take a vacation in the tropics.