Whaley: Bills have exchanged offers with Hughes

YoloinOhio

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 35m35 minutes ago

#Bills GM Doug Whaley says the team has exchanged contract proposals with DE Jerry Hughes. Sounds to be in a semi-advanced stage.

Buffalo Bills @buffalobills 2m2 minutes ago

Offers and counteroffers. Here's where things stand with DE Jerry Hughes, per GM Doug Whaley http://bufbills.co/ojzn4i

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 10m10 minutes ago

Whaley said the #Bills want to avoid using the franchise tag on Hughes because they want him long term, another sign a deal may be close.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really can't wait to see how much he gets.

Come on EL PEGUAL pay the man

I have not listened to Whaley's interview but those who have on Twitter seem convinced he's coming back

Can the Bills afford to invest big dollars a fourth time in their defensive line? Whaley says they can.

“We can afford to invest in that defensive line because we don’t have a large part of our salary cap eaten up by a marquee quarterback,” said Whaley. “So that affords us the ability to be able to try to keep a Jerry Hughes and pay him what he’s worth. The way we have to play we’re going to have to have a strong defense and get after the quarterback and run the ball.”

Really can't wait to see how much he gets.

Come on EL PEGUAL pay the man

I have not listened to Whaley's interview but those who have on Twitter seem convinced he's coming back

Can the Bills afford to invest big dollars a fourth time in their defensive line? Whaley says they can.

“We can afford to invest in that defensive line because we don’t have a large part of our salary cap eaten up by a marquee quarterback,” said Whaley. “So that affords us the ability to be able to try to keep a Jerry Hughes and pay him what he’s worth. The way we have to play we’re going to have to have a strong defense and get after the quarterback and run the ball.”

I love this. Whaley is building the early Big Ben Steelers. Just hope he finds a QB that becomes Big Ben. (or the NY Jets AFC Championship appearing teams).

Whaley said not having a premier QB allows them to spend on Hughes and the DL.

It's going to get done soon I think. They have a clear vision from GM down. Build an elite D and OL. That's how they plan to win until they find a QB.

Yup. And I think something that Kelly the Dog said on here awhile ago, and he repeated it to Doug when he was in LA, is coming into play. The Bills are paying their linebackers almost nothing for the next few seasons. Bradham is going to get paid this year or next, and then in a couple seasons it'll be time to pay Kiko (hopefully) and Brown (hopefully), until then they can afford to lump the whole front 7 together in terms of salary cap allocation. That's why they won't hesitate to pay Dareus (and pay him well) even if they retain Hughes IMO.

I think they add a big body to the DL.

And that guy won't need to be a superstar. Medium contract.

It's going to get done soon I think. They have a clear vision from GM down. Build an elite D and OL. That's how they plan to win until they find a QB.

It's also a good sign he didn't use the "we won't negotiate in the media" line like he did with the Byrd questions last year.

That is all great news -- and also indirectly squishes any assertion that the team would be looking to make a move for a high-dollar QB. I am coming around to believing that Rex believes that he can win with EJ Manuel as a potential game manager: given all of EJ's faults, he has NOT been a turnover machine in his brief NFL career.

Its taken them 15 years but they may have actually figured it out!!!!

And exactly 0 NFL teams are building championship caliber teams this way.

That is all great news -- and also indirectly squishes any assertion that the team would be looking to make a move for a high-dollar QB. I am coming around to believing that Rex believes that he can win with EJ Manuel as a potential game manager: given all of EJ's faults, he has NOT been a turnover machine in his brief NFL career.

I agree about EJ. We all know his body of work is minimal right now so we cant give up on him. We may end up being pleasantly surprised with the new staff molding the young lad.