Two plays changed everything for two quarterbacks

Living in Ohio, that play still makes my blood boil, especially the way the Browns were talking about "they took our guy out, so we were going to take theirs out" during and after the game. Hoyer gets hurt on a freak play because he doesn't know how to slide properly so the Browns D puts out a hit on EJ, meanwhile no one in the national media cares because it's Browns-Bills. I hate Tashaun Gipson.

you and me both. I was livid. I went from ambivalence on the Browns to disdain. That game at the Ralph this past year was personal for me. Every time I see Tashaun Gipson I think of his celebration as EJ is down.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP here. Thanks to you guys who pointed out the reality, which is that my brain isn't working very well today.

Hoping for the best from EJ. His 2013 highlight reel is pretty good.

Hopefully he can put together more than 9 good minutes this year.

you and me both. I was livid. I went from ambivalence on the Browns to disdain. That game at the Ralph this past year was personal for me. Every time I see Tashaun Gipson I think of his celebration as EJ is down.

To top it off, I was in a BW3s filled with Browns fans. They all cheered while EJ was laying on the ground. As soon as Tuel started throwing it to Browns DBs I told my buddies good evening and left.

How about the play that EJ made to Goodwin in the flats where Goodwin got blown up? That play ended EJ's season as the rest of the receivers quit and would not trust him again. Sammy refused to go all out after that. It also sidelined Goodwin for a while and he has never been the same either. Getting the receiver's trust again will more than anything determine whether EJ has a future.

One was the hit placed upon Trent Edwards by Adrian Wilson, the safety from the Arizona Cardinals. Our team was 4-0 and looking pretty good. Edwards was not great, but he was good enough to get them to that game undefeated for the first 4-0 record in years. On one of the first plays of the game, Wilson came through and knocked Edwards into the future. He was never the same.

He never got it back.

Last year the play that ruined the season of EJ Manuel was the pick six by JJ Watt. Prior to that play, EJ was good but not great, and was progressing like one might expect from the 16th pick in the previous draft.....not a franchise quarterback, but one who needs a couple years to get up to speed. We were ready to score against the Texans, and he threw that pass that Watt, well, you saw it.

He was not the only player to be made to look foolish by JJ Watt.

As a result, Saint Doug took it upon himself to declare that EJ Manuel is no longer the quarterback of the Buffalo Bills. One play changed everything.

The difference is that Edwards was actually injured on the play, and perhaps that injury led to his long-term mediocrity. EJ Manuel made a mistake. People make them in games. All quarterbacks make mistakes. The way to measure the quality of a leader is to look at how he responds after he gets back up. EJ never was given that chance.

Since he was not hurt, I think that he paid an unfair price for making a bad throw to the best defensive player in the NFL. Next time he won't make that throw, and the Bills go on to win the game.

This is not an EJ thread. It's a thread about redemption. One guy's malady was physical. The other guy got beat by a great player. Maybe he should have not endured such a consequence.

No offense, but this Trent Edwards "was never the same" statement is just a Myth. He wasnt playing well prior to that...the only reason people think he was playing well was because we started 4-0 but that was against 4 of the worst teams in the league that year, our defense and ST made 3 of those 4 wins possible, and he didn't have very good games against bad teams.

Trent game before and after that hit were the same. The difference was we stopped getting a bunch of huge breaks with turnovers and we started losing. It took a bunch of defensive turnovers, defensive TDs and ST TDS to beat 4 bad teams to start 4-0. Once those stopped, we stopped winning. People forget how much the offense struggled those 4 wins, all they saw was 4-0 and over looked Trents short comings. He turned into a myth...but once we started playing better teams and the D made less big plays, the truth about Trent was exposed. He was weak before the AZ game and was weak after, its just people took notice after because they had an incorrect perception of Trent due to a misleading 4-0 start.

I posted over and over again when we were 4-0 that we would not make the playoffs if Trent kept playing the way he was...and sure enough we didn't. The people who couldn't accept that Trent wasnt very good took comfort in trying to use the hit in AZ as the reason, but truth was, he wasnt very good and hadn't been very good even before that game.

I have no idea why EJ didn't play the Pats game, other than Doug likely knew he was going to walk and figured a 9-7 record looks a lot better than 8-8.

That's exactly why EJ didn't play the Pats game. St Doug wanted to trumpet himself as "taking a team with no QB to a winning season". He could only lose by giving EJ a start: if EJ looked good and the Bills won, he looked dumb for keeping EJ on the bench when Orton did struggle at times as the season wore on and he lost the "team with no QB" part of his resume building. If EJ looked bad and we lost, we didn't have a winning record for him to trumpet.

How do we know EJ was never the same after that? He was benched after that game. And actually during the game be remained competitive and we had a chance to win at the end

That was one of my points. Doug took him out after the game, and he never got a chance to come back. I think Manuel's head is probably ok from the play, but may have suffered damage from having to sit out the final 10 games as punishment.

What I remember about Edwards was the game where he threw 3 early interceptions and from that point on he showed an obvious unwillingness to throw another and the checkdowns began. Don't think he ever regained his confidence after that as his game degenerated to checkdown after checkdown.

Orton was absolutely dreadful down the stretch.

He was to the point receivers quit on him too. Sammy took plays off, and in the losses to Miami, Denver and Oakland there was exactly the same body language from the receivers as there was when EJ was in. Personally I'd have pulled Orton in the Miami game when that game was still close and seen if EJ could spark something, anything, even if just by running a few keepers.

Living in Ohio, that play still makes my blood boil, especially the way the Browns were talking about "they took our guy out, so we were going to take theirs out" during and after the game. Hoyer gets hurt on a freak play because he doesn't know how to slide properly so the Browns D puts out a hit on EJ, meanwhile no one in the national media cares because it's Browns-Bills. I hate Tashaun Gipson.

Well I live in Buffalo and saw the game at a bar. I saw quite a few fans celebrate Kiko injuring Hoyer, including the 3 guys next to me who were really whooping it up.

One was the hit placed upon Trent Edwards by Adrian Wilson, the safety from the Arizona Cardinals. Our team was 4-0 and looking pretty good. Edwards was not great, but he was good enough to get them to that game undefeated for the first 4-0 record in years. On one of the first plays of the game, Wilson came through and knocked Edwards into the future. He was never the same.

He never got it back.

Last year the play that ruined the season of EJ Manuel was the pick six by JJ Watt. Prior to that play, EJ was good but not great, and was progressing like one might expect from the 16th pick in the previous draft.....not a franchise quarterback, but one who needs a couple years to get up to speed. We were ready to score against the Texans, and he threw that pass that Watt, well, you saw it.

He was not the only player to be made to look foolish by JJ Watt.

As a result, Saint Doug took it upon himself to declare that EJ Manuel is no longer the quarterback of the Buffalo Bills. One play changed everything.

The difference is that Edwards was actually injured on the play, and perhaps that injury led to his long-term mediocrity. EJ Manuel made a mistake. People make them in games. All quarterbacks make mistakes. The way to measure the quality of a leader is to look at how he responds after he gets back up. EJ never was given that chance.

Since he was not hurt, I think that he paid an unfair price for making a bad throw to the best defensive player in the NFL. Next time he won't make that throw, and the Bills go on to win the game.

This is not an EJ thread. It's a thread about redemption. One guy's malady was physical. The other guy got beat by a great player. Maybe he should have not endured such a consequence.

I think it was the relentless pressure that broke him, the INT was just a result of breaking the kid down. Watt was everywhere that day and our o line had no clue what a stunt was. the were right to sit him. he was broken at that point.

Biggest play of the year was Sammy Watkins miracle catch against Detroit. If he drops that ball Orton maybe starts another game or two. After getting crushed by the Patriots again, there would have been no reason not to go back to EJ. Orton was absolutely dreadful down the stretch.

Even when we were out in week 17 that bozo marrone started orton