How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

That's what people used to try to sell me when I lived in Fairbanks. " Well, we don't have to shovel cold here bub!"

Yeah, but it freaking sucks when the high temperature is -45 for 5 weeks straight, and you go to work and come home from work in the dark for 7 months. Freaking eyes freeze open on your walk into Walmart. Sweet!

I understand that the climate is much different in Anchorage, Jim. Do you guys get really rainy summers like the interior? Choking smoke from wildfires? Mosquitos the size of humming birds?

Fairbanks is a whole different world than Anchorage. Typically 30 or more degrees colder in winter then Anchorage. Might as well compare Lake Placid weather to NYC weather. They are in the same state after all.

Anchorage is a maritime climate, tempered by the ocean. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. Fairbanks is a moon like climate completely dependent on what the sun is doing at that moment. I would never, ever live there.

Pick em rain wise. It used to start raining[drizzling really] in July but past few years nothing is predicable, It may rain all summer or not at all. I get smoke from time to time but it comes from guess where? up by Fairbanks.

I could spend all summer in Anchorage and never see a mosquito most years. Bugs are a swampy interior thing.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairbanks is a whole different world than Anchorage. Typically 30 or more degrees colder in winter then Anchorage. Might as well compare Lake Placid weather to NYC weather. They are in the same state after all.

Anchorage is a maritime climate, tempered by the ocean. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. Fairbanks is a moon like climate completely dependent on what the sun is doing at that moment. I would never, ever live there.

Pick em rain wise. It used to start raining[drizzling really] in July but past few years nothing is predicable, It may rain all summer or not at all. I get smoke from time to time but it comes from guess where? up by Fairbanks.

I could spend all summer in Anchorage and never see a mosquito most years. Bugs are a swampy interior thing.

Funny, when I accepted my job in Fairbanks I also had a contract on the table for Mat-Su school district. I chose Fairbanks because, frankly, the salary, benefits and relocation assistance were much, much better. It actually wasn't a horrible place to live. Nice restaurants, some pretty good bars, local semi-pro baseball and hockey, a university and international airport, and surprisingly decent live music/comedy scene. Went fishing for Grayling, moose hunting, went hiking/camping a bunch to beautiful places. I just couldn't handle the 9 month winters anymore.

My wife and I used to fly to Anchorage 2-3 times per year for long weekends. It was mainly a shopping trip for the wife, but we got out on the town quite a bit. Very cool city with a good party scene. Our trips there almost made me wish I took the Mat-Su job instead.

Funny, when I accepted my job in Fairbanks I also had a contract on the table for Mat-Su school district. I chose Fairbanks because, frankly, the salary, benefits and relocation assistance were much, much better. It actually wasn't a horrible place to live. Nice restaurants, some pretty good bars, local semi-pro baseball and hockey, a university and international airport, and surprisingly decent live music/comedy scene. Went fishing for Grayling, moose hunting, went hiking/camping a bunch to beautiful places. I just couldn't handle the 9 month winters anymore.

My wife and I used to fly to Anchorage 2-3 times per year for long weekends. It was mainly a shopping trip for the wife, but we got out on the town quite a bit. Very cool city with a good party scene. Our trips there almost made me wish I took the Mat-Su job instead.

No question you should have taken the Mat-Su job. I would love to live there but the drive into Anchorage for work is too much in the winter. The valley is real Alaska. Anchorage is just a city that fortunately is near Alaska.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

I see it's supposed to be sub-zero in WNY on Thursday. The first week in March? WTH?!?!?

Just a small dip. The cold blasts are getting shorter. Here, it is supposed to snow, change to all rain Tuesday, then get cold Wednesday and Thrusday... Highs in Teens & 20's lows single digits... Then the warm up comes, rest of the 10 day in the 30's and 40's.

We always get the weather before WNY... Well, most of the time.

Typical March weather in the Upper MidWest/Gr8 Lakes States.

Although it is still below freezing (25), things are melting. Noticed a few drops coming off eaves in the sun. Shoveled about half the drive this AM and the where the ice was,it is turning to slush in the sun. Also staying light noticeably later recently. After 6 PM now! Look to that to perk yourself up. Hell, with my health problems the past year, I'm glad I'm still here to see spring approaching.

Edited by Wacka

I see it's supposed to be sub-zero in WNY on Thursday. The first week in March? WTH?!?!?

Only supposed to get up to 14 on Thursday. Hopefully this will be it. It has been warmer the last few days. It was 28 on Saturday and it felt like a goddam heat wave. It looks like temps might hit in the 40s/50 next week. Doesn't sound like much I am sure where you live but I will take. Weather wise, most depressing winter I have spent here. This was really a record setting winter. Coldest Feb ever in WNY, average high was 11 degrees. Jim in anchorage, they said on the news this morning this is the first time since they have been tracking temps that WNY average high was colder then Anchorage, Alaska. Not only was it cold but it was also the third snowiest Feb in WNY with I believe 49 inches. F*cking unbelievable.

Only supposed to get up to 14 on Thursday. Hopefully this will be it. It has been warmer the last few days. It was 28 on Saturday and it felt like a goddam heat wave. It looks like temps might hit in the 40s/50 next week. Doesn't sound like much I am sure where you live but I will take. Weather wise, most depressing winter I have spent here. This was really a record setting winter. Coldest Feb ever in WNY, average high was 11 degrees. Jim in anchorage, they said on the news this morning this is the first time since they have been tracking temps that WNY average high was colder then Anchorage, Alaska. Not only was it cold but it was also the third snowiest Feb in WNY with I believe 49 inches. F*cking unbelievable.

Average high was 11? Wow.

I know I ck the Buff temps daily and mine is always higher. In fact a lot higher. 14" snow all YEAR.

This is actually good! I mentioned how Lake Ontario is freezing big time, more than even unusal years. This means The Lake elevations will be up, especially the uncontrolled Middle Lakes: Michigan, Huron, and Erie. More ice means Lake temps will be lower longer. When that happens, less evaporation takes place during the summer months (prime evaporation months). Less evaporation means less Lake water will get carried and fall out of basin/GL watershed... Again, this is very good for rising Lake water levels/elevations!

@ work, our upper pool is Lake Michigan. We have rebounded nicely the last year or so... We are rountinely in the positives. 0.00 (578.48' above mean sea level) gauge being neither high water or low water.

Keep up the good work Mother Nature!!!... Even if all these people are bellyaching. This is exactly what the doctored ordered for a healthy Great Lakes!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois