How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

WTF - that's about as blurry of a picture as you can post!

LoL! I know... I am on the phone and right from it. This site only allows 200kb, it's cropped from a shot taken through the front window of my car taken @ 45mph. I have to figure out a better system of posting photos than attachments. If I was on a PC I could compress it in photo editor, which may work better. I was hoping you get the gist. That shot is 30 miles out on practically flat land. A little bit of height and you can see more of the skyline from that many miles out. It would be cool to fly a drone up about 300 feet from my house (crystal clear day), it's so dam flat here no geography would be in the way. I am about 35 miles from The Chicago Loop.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

happy spring 3 to 5 inches of snow. 3 so far

I feel your pain Bro! They say this year is the hottest for the rest of the globe. The hottest ever recorded. Does that help? Probably not... Hang in there! It will melt fast given the season and your latitude! Hope that is some consolation?

So is this thread going to be locked and the How Has This Spring Been thread opened like the first half and second half threads during the games?

Good one... But, we are 20 days past the fist day of spring. Climatological spring in the northern hemi is March 1st. Which Mod is going to decide where halftime is? ;-)

4" of snow this morning. Third time this winter I seen a Ford Escape spin out for no reason... Just going down the road and bam, the vehicle is doing a 360. What's with Ford Escapes? Good thing I wasn't following too close, but had to hesitate a second. Anti-lock brakes were kicking in on the wife's vehicle everytime I went stop. Her car has AWD and eats through the snow, but sluggish turning on a layer of snow. LoL...

Anyway, I think they given up plowing for the season... Or until @ least it stops snowing. Maybe they know it will be 60 degrees on Wednesday. Is this what they do down South when it snows, everybody forgets how to drive and they don't plow? God giveth, God taketh! Anyway, plows did come and with the late season solar ability, roads cleared pretty quickly, but it was ugly just before 1100 am.

I think we are over a whopping 40" for the season now! Wow, another above average winter for snow. Sure looks pretty! ;-)

I have only got stuck once in the snow. It was in late March, early 1990's... When they didn't plow my apartment parking lot.

Not sure usually asleep but 3:30 AM its twilight dawn at 4:30 or so. I cover my bed room window with tin foil to keep out the light.

Keeps out the FBI's probing wireless radio waves as well. At least I saw that in some Mel Gibson movie.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

100% chance of rain tonight and possible thunder, that's a first in a LONNNNG time!

Through winter I keep an eye on what the sea caves (Apostle Islands) are doing with ice up on Lake Superior in Wisconsin:

http://wavesatseacaves.cee.wisc.edu/wave_pics.html

Looks like the cold bubble has reached east this year and dipping down. It is 10 degrees warmer up there now and they are 400 miles further north. Duluth Harbor is even almost clear as is that western end of The Lake.

That link above looks like the slab of shore ice is going to pop @ any time... Fissures and cracks are forming, looks like it will release from the shore and bottom and float apart. Last year, if you check... It popped a whole month later on April 27th 2014 @ around Noon.

I find it interesting... Internet very kewl!

:-)

As we get the glut here... Lakes have been frozen over almost 90% or more two consecutive years for the first time recorded. Then there is the western dilemma and the problem w/the Cali snowpack:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-07/cruelest-winter-ever-californias-snowpack-drops-record-low

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/us/as-california-drought-enters-4th-year-conservation-efforts-and-worries-increase.html

It's !@#$ing 18 degrees out right now in Buffalo. This is ridiculous. I love cold weather and snow - in the winter! Not in the spring.

Seeing that it started with 8 feet of snow in mid-November, this is by far the longest, most sustained winter I ever remember.