How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been an absolutely brutal winter by coastal New England standards. I have about 5 feet of snow on the ground, all falling over the last few weeks. It's been 0-25 degrees, so it's not melting. About 45 minutes north is worse: they're looking out their second story windows at around 90 inches.

Anchorage officially got 14" snow all winter but I doubt I got more than 5. Warmest winter in Alaska history. most days 25 or 30. above. I have about 2" on the ground right now. Iditarod start moved North to Fairbanks due to lack of snow in the Alaska range.

Say ice while you're here I was listening to one of the local AM talk show guys and he had a caller from Wisconsin on. Why I don't know I missed the beginning. Anyway the caller was talking about catching sturgeon though the ice on lake Winnebago. Is it true there are sturgeon there? Did you ever catch one? I would love to catch one of those prehistoric monsters.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Where everyone lives? Was last year worse for everyone or this year? It has been a mild winter here in GB. We only have an inch on the ground. Last year we had snow on the ground till late March and the year before it was early April.

It's been a rather mild winter here in northern California (State of Jefferson). There was a decent amount of rain up here but not super cold at all this year. Still waiting for snow in the most populated areas.

Buffalo right now is -9 with -27 wind chill. I wonder if this is colder than that Raiders playoff game or the Jets game two week before (the last Super Bowl year).

But, you know when you start off the winter with 8 feet of snow, the rest of it seems manageable!

This morning is the first real snow for us in NE OK. It's a whopping two inches sitting atop a layer of ice. The kids are mad because it was already a scheduled day off of school for teacher conferences so they feel like they got ripped off of a snow day, LOL. It has Been mild and very dry here most of the winter.

It was sunny and in the mid 70's just a couple of days ago.

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

Nasty along the Erie Canal in the Rochester area! Long spells of temps in the teens and single digits, a lot of snow and heavy snow loads on roofs + icicles are creating ice damming problems all over the area. Much more difficult than last winter.

I attribute it to global warming primarily; but Nancy Pelosi bears some responsibility too.

Buffalo right now is -9 with -27 wind chill. I wonder if this is colder than that Raiders playoff game or the Jets game two week before (the last Super Bowl year).

But, you know when you start off the winter with 8 feet of snow, the rest of it seems manageable!

I was at that Raider game. It was 35 below windchill. It was 80 when I left LA.

Nothing out of the ordinary. So far

Its gonna get nasty. Today they're calling for 3-5"! Woah! Close the kitchen, cancel Christmas, this one will get nasty!

Actually. The southeast going to look nasty the close of this winter. Mark it down

Nothing out of the ordinary. So far

Its gonna get nasty. Today they're calling for 3-5"! Woah! Close the kitchen, cancel Christmas, this one will get nasty!

Actually. The southeast going to look nasty the close of this winter. Mark it down

Ahhh, Christ, dude. I remember you were dead on last winter.

Thus far Southeastern VA hasn't experienced much winter. Its dipped below freezing a few times with an occasional light flurry.

Later today and into tomorrow however, the weatherman is calling for 2-6 inches. Snowmageddon and a possible 4 day Presidents Day weekend

92" of snow over the last 3 weeks NW of Boston - it's been terrible - nowhere to put the stuff. The mound at the end of the driveway is more than 8' tall and 4-5 car lengths - I'm losing my driveway. The snow on the back deck is higher than the 4' railing. Walkway into work that is dutifully shoveled by the office complex is now a pathway with walls that are up to my shoulders (and I'm 6'2"). Very hard to drive because you can't see when you pull out of the driveway or come to an intersection.

Wind was howling last night with gusts over 55mph - you can clear the snow but it comes right back. Wind chill was -27 this morning. No melting at all which is very rare for us - daytime highs this time of year usually go above freezing so when we have a bunch of snow it does melt, but not this year. I spent last weekend raking snow off the roof (several tons), but folks who haven't done that are rapidly approaching a time when the roof could fail - it's starting to happen all around. I think we'll have snow piles into June.

Lucky here in SW CT; those storms in Boston and north have all skirted the NYC area; looking like it'll happen again tomorrow. Maybe 18" on the ground in total. Hopefully we'll get a thaw next weekend so some of it can melt.

The high winds during a few of the storms has been a blessing for keeping substantial accumulations off the roof.

Lucky here in SW CT; those storms in Boston and north have all skirted the NYC area; looking like it'll happen again tomorrow. Maybe 18" on the ground in total. Hopefully we'll get a thaw next weekend so some of it can melt.

The high winds during a few of the storms has been a blessing for keeping substantial accumulations off the roof.

Is Boston getting hit again tomorrow? (It's actually harder to follow the weather on the Net to me - i can't tell what's old news and new news)

Is Boston getting hit again tomorrow? (It's actually harder to follow the weather on the Net to me - i can't tell what's old news and new news)

South and east of Boston they may get up to 5" - north and west 1-3" - just a dusting this time but there are murmurs about another storm this weekend (I think they are holding off saying anything for fear people are just going to snap).