How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the 8 feet were mostly gone by the end of November. Some piles were so big they never melted. But, we've had I believe a record amount of days with a snowpack. It's 2-3 feet pretty much everywhere and the sides of the roads are 5 feet. It snowed tonight, so their tracks were easy to see in the powder.

I'll tell you what adds character. Getting 8 feet of snow for your first snowfall of the year - in mid November.......After that, even this incredible run of snow and cold seems manageable.

I know... I drove into town just hours after the driving ban was lifted... Helped my father shovel out... Had to snowshoe into his house. Thank God the front end loader made it down his street a few hours earlier... Or I would have had to park off the main road 'shoe a little bit farther down his street.

Wonder if all the WNY deer are dead. 8 foot would kill a moose.

Last year's cold wiped out a lot of ducks on Lake Michigan and by work on the river. Mergansers and other "divers" were hit hard and starved because they couldn't get through the ice to dive and fish.

This winter I am helping them out... I crack (which means, I raise a sluice gate up just a little so it "leaks") the dam to run water and it keeps a nice zone of ice free water... It's like a waterfowl sanctuary... LoL... The birds hang out there... Geese sleep there @ night and swans like the open water. Only bad thing, the bald eagles and other hawks try and take the smaller ducks like the mergansers... They have to be pretty quick and dive!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

There's a little cheek that runs though ANC that stays open year round because they cool the power plant with it. Full of ducks year round. I often wonder what they would do if the plant shut down and the creek froze. It's a LONG flight to open water.

They'd probably perish

Same here on the river. Acme Steel below us puts out warm water... It freezes up river of the plant and the bend... The bend in the river acts like a sink "trap"... And there is literally a line where the ice field starts w/open water below, down river... I took some pictures in early March last year... All the waterfowl that find it hang out there. I wonder if it is pretty tricky for them to find these places?

They'd probably perish

Same here on the river. Acme Steel below us puts out warm water... It freezes up river of the plant and the bend... The bend in the river acts like a sink "trap"... And there is literally a line where the ice field starts w/open water below, down river... I took some pictures in early March last year... All the waterfowl that find it hang out there. I wonder if it is pretty tricky for them to find these places?

Most likely learned and handed down generation to generation like salmon. Same situation exists at the Dunkirk power plant. looks very surreal there in winter with the ice fog rising off the warm water and hundreds of waterfowl flying in and out of the fog.

No stop being a frozen dumbass and move somewhere warm.

Yeah, I hear ya. It is a little more complicated when you have kids & most of your family is here. My parents & my wife's parents would be devastated if we ever moved the kids away from them. These kids are their lives. Not sure if I could live with myself if I did that. + for the most part I like living here especially with all the new stuff getting built/going on. This winter has tested me though.

Exile, this sh*t doesn't make you stronger. Tonight we are supposed to set a record. -8 with a wind chill of minus -28. I mean this is nuts. We are supposed to hit high 20's by the weeken, it is going to feel like 80 degrees.

Edited by Gordio

Yeah, I hear ya. It is a little more complicated when you have kids & most of your family is here. My parents & my wife's parents would be devastated if we ever moved the kids away from them. These kids are their lives. Not sure if I could live with myself if I did that. + for the most part I like living here especially with all the new stuff getting built/going on. This winter has tested me though.

Exile, this sh*t doesn't make you stronger. Tonight we are supposed to set a record. -8 with a wind chill of minus -28. I mean this is nuts. We are supposed to hit high 20's by the weeken, it is going to feel like 80 degrees.

That's why I moved before I had kids (well still don't). My whole family is there but they have these really cool things now called phones and airports. :D

BBB , I don't live in Somerset Pa, but I was stuck here last night. Driving from Piitsburgh to Richmond, wiped fluid stopped working. At shop now, guy says was frozen solid.

I am 52, I never knew there was different fluid for the cold weather....just a heads up for other dolts like me out there.

BTW, it's zero here. Going to be -2 richmond tonight.

I do believe I called this in October, please find the Acorn thread!

That's why I moved before I had kids (well still don't). My whole family is there but they have these really cool things now called phones and airports. :D

Phones & airports are nice but it is not the same as knowing your grandkids are only a ten minute drive away. My father-in-law takes the kids to breakfast every morning before dropping them off for school. My dad coaches my daughters ponytail softball team. Little stuff like that that a phone can't replace. I like living here but yes, after this winter & if I had no kids I would seriously consider getting out of here. This winter just beats you down.

Phones & airports are nice but it is not the same as knowing your grandkids are only a ten minute drive away. My father-in-law takes the kids to breakfast every morning before dropping them off for school. My dad coaches my daughters ponytail softball team. Little stuff like that that a phone can't replace. I like living here but yes, after this winter & if I had no kids I would seriously consider getting out of here. This winter just beats you down.

Oh if I had kids my parents would have plenty of grandkids to play with. That's what siblings are for. Are you sensing my selfishness? :D

BTW I have a great friend form high school who tells me winters just hurt her. Literally hurt. I wouldn't be surprised when her kids finally move away that she moves on to warmer climes.

I go back every winter to ski. I didn't go this year due to my back surgery hence the lack of my annual "thanks for the advice, but I don't need any advice" thread. I love skiing with my dad and at 86 who know how much longer he'll be out there but other than that it sucks. No one is out, too ****ty to drive anywhere and just plain boring. However when I go back in the summer is it completely different. Farmers markets, concerts, food festivals, wine country, etc. So the summers are fantastic for the most part. You just have to go through Siberia every year to get there.