How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South and east of Boston they may get up to 5" - north and west 1-3" - just a dusting this time but there are murmurs about another storm this weekend (I think they are holding off saying anything for fear people are just going to snap).

Good. This is not going to let up until they give the ill gotten Lombardi Trophy back!

Buffalo is awful. Temps have not gotten above 0 for the last 48 hours. Easy 3 feet on the ground with drifts in areas higher than my chain link fence. I legit had to shovel around the outside of my yard, near the fence, so that my puppy couldn't walk over the fence and escape. Not that she wants to spend more than 2 minutes outside anyways...

Where everyone lives? Was last year worse for everyone or this year? It has been a mild winter here in GB. We only have an inch on the ground. Last year we had snow on the ground till late March and the year before it was early April.

I am in Madison ice and it has been a pretty strange winter by Wisconsin standards, not much snow. Colder than all get out lately though.

The polar plunge seems to have shifted a bit east this winter. I will take it, mild here @ 14 above. Better than 14 below. They said that ice was still dropping out of the Sea Caves @ the Apostle Islands last year in JULY!

Like the OP said... Kinda mild this winter with not a lot of snow, only big accumulation came in that one storm on Super Bowl Sunday. Only 37" all season, that seems to be average for a whole Chicago winter.

Buffalo is awful. Temps have not gotten above 0 for the last 48 hours. Easy 3 feet on the ground with drifts in areas higher than my chain link fence. I legit had to shovel around the outside of my yard, near the fence, so that my puppy couldn't walk over the fence and escape. Not that she wants to spend more than 2 minutes outside anyways...

One of BFLO's claim to fame has always been: "We get a lot of snow but not the cold."

LMAO... Now you have both! :nana:

We usually get the cold here and little snow. Now we have a little snow and warmer temps... :nana:

Anchorage officially got 14" snow all winter but I doubt I got more than 5. Warmest winter in Alaska history. most days 25 or 30. above. I have about 2" on the ground right now. Iditarod start moved North to Fairbanks due to lack of snow in the Alaska range.

Say ice while you're here I was listening to one of the local AM talk show guys and he had a caller from Wisconsin on. Why I don't know I missed the beginning. Anyway the caller was talking about catching sturgeon though the ice on lake Winnebago. Is it true there are sturgeon there? Did you ever catch one? I would love to catch one of those prehistoric monsters.

I think you have to spear them through the ice. I know they catch them on the WI River near The Dells/Baraboo. @ mid-point of the 1800's there were so many sturgeon in The Great Lakes region that they would stack 'em like cordwood.

LakeSturgeon.pdf

"...Seldom has a fish had such a tenuous relationship to humans as the lake sturgeon. The Winnebago, Ojibwa, Potawatomi, Oneida and Sauk tribes revered the huge fish that can reach weights of several hundred pounds, but by 1860 the lake sturgeon was considered a nuisance by commercial fisherman, who stacked the fish like cordwood on shore and left them to rot. When fish processors realized the value of sturgeon roe (eggs) for caviar, discovered sturgeon flesh was delicious fresh or smoked and found that a high‐quality gelatin called isinglass could be extracted from the sturgeon’s swim bladder, the Great Lakes sturgeon fishery exploded. The species was fished so intensively that lake sturgeon populations were reduced to a level from which they have never recovered. ..."

"...In February, sturgeon can be speared through the ice on Lake Winnebago, and every five years in the smaller, upriver lakes (Poygan, Winneconne and Big Lake Butte des Morts). Spears with wood or metal handles six to nine feet long with three to eight barbed tines are used to catch the sturgeon through holes in the ice about three feet wide and five feet long. The handle detaches when a fish is speared, making it possible to play the fish on a long line. The record lake sturgeon speared in Wisconsin was a 195‐poke

under taken in 1979 from Pokegama Lain Vilas County. ..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I think you have to spear them through the ice. I know they catch them on the WI River near The Dells/Baraboo. @ mid-point of the 1800's there were so many sturgeon in The Great Lakes region that they would stack 'em like cordwood.

attachicon.gifLakeSturgeon.pdf

"...Seldom has a fish had such a tenuous relationship to humans as the lake sturgeon. The Winnebago, Ojibwa, Potawatomi, Oneida and Sauk tribes revered the huge fish that can reach weights of several hundred pounds, but by 1860 the lake sturgeon was considered a nuisance by commercial fisherman, who stacked the fish like cordwood on shore and left them to rot. When fish processors realized the value of sturgeon roe (eggs) for caviar, discovered sturgeon flesh was delicious fresh or smoked and found that a high‐quality gelatin called isinglass could be extracted from the sturgeon’s swim bladder, the Great Lakes sturgeon fishery exploded. The species was fished so intensively that lake sturgeon populations were reduced to a level from which they have never recovered. ..."

"...In February, sturgeon can be speared through the ice on Lake Winnebago, and every five years in the smaller, upriver lakes (Poygan, Winneconne and Big Lake Butte des Morts). Spears with wood or metal handles six to nine feet long with three to eight barbed tines are used to catch the sturgeon through holes in the ice about three feet wide and five feet long. The handle detaches when a fish is speared, making it possible to play the fish on a long line. The record lake sturgeon speared in Wisconsin was a 195‐poke

I remember hearing rumors of them In lake Erie and the Niagara river but never saw one. Strictly protected as I recall.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

I remember hearing rumors of them In lake Erie and the Niagara river but never saw one. Strictly protected as I recall.

Yep! I think they are the only true native fish to The Lakes? Melting glaciers (Lakes) were a sterile ecosystem. Not sure how they were the first to get there...??

Paddlefish are up there to in age... MO and MI rivers... Same with gar. All pretty ancient species. I was watching a show on them snaggin paddlefish on the MO river, pretty neat!

attachicon.gifLakeSturgeon.pdf

I held a sturgeon in the Hudson river when I worked with the State. The are very similar to the fish you are describing here. It was huge. Took me and two other people to hold it. Really boney flesh and strong as a mofo. It was like holding a dinosaur

I've had some cool jobs haha