How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

85 this past weekend. Summer came early.

Too damn hot! I am dreading summer here! Perfect is 60-70 with a cool breeze. Warm enough to wear shorts (even though I wear shorts year 'round in the house and doing quick things like a few minutes of shoveling, garbage out, etc...) YET cool enough for a hoodie.

Too damn hot! I am dreading summer here! Perfect is 60-70 with a cool breeze. Warm enough to wear shorts (even though I wear shorts year 'round in the house and doing quick things like a few minutes of shoveling, garbage out, etc...) YET cool enough for a hoodie.

We have pretty much zero humidity (though it was muggy this weekend for some reason) so a CA 85 is nothing like a Chicago or Buffalo 85. 60-70 is cool here. It's all what you're used to.

Once it gets above freezing I pretty much quit wearing a jacket. I took my family to North Padre Island last year for spring break. High 50's/Low 60's and sunny. My kids were swimming in the gulf and people were looking at us like we were crazy.

Heard the birds out in force during my walk todayib the right sunshine in Cheektowaga!

Cool!

I gotta research what wrens look like. My daughter and wife took old gourds and painted them up... I guess wrens are cavity dwellers, so you punch a small hole in the gourd. You can't paint them too intimidating (snakes, etc...) or they won't come to them. Hung one in a pine tree and other in apple tree. The last couple of years we have been getting cardinals. I made a thread about what a crazy bird they are. The female would attack her reflection in the window. The banging was so freaking loud!

Cool!

I gotta research what wrens look like. My daughter and wife took old gourds and painted them up... I guess wrens are cavity dwellers, so you punch a small hole in the gourd. You can't paint them too intimidating (snakes, etc...) or they won't come to them. Hung one in a pine tree and other in apple tree. The last couple of years we have been getting cardinals. I made a thread about what a crazy bird they are. The female would attack her reflection in the window. The banging was so freaking loud!

Screw researching that. You never figured out what that major city is to the right of Chestnut Ridge. Get on that.

Screw researching that. You never figured out what that major city is to the right of Chestnut Ridge. Get on that.

It is Rochester off in the distance to the far, far RIGHT looking north. To the far left it is Niagara Falls. BFLO up close, right in front to the slight left. From Chestnut Ridge, the roof of The Fieldhouse @ The Ralph looks like it is almost touching you... Same with the Basilica (Father Baker's).

And it is far off in the distance. @ flat land here in Illinois, I can see Sears Tower and the City of Chicago @ about 30 miles away... I got pics of that, only elevated about 20 feet and @ the right viewpoint on the road/interstate so you can see a line (road) between structures/trees, etc... Figure Chestnut Ridge has to have about 100-200 vertical feet, you can easily see the 70 or so miles to Rochester. Also figure that the geography of WNY is a series of escarpments, so you are looking "down" from one (Chestnut Ridge and through the Boston Hills, the name of that escarpment escapes me, or should I say escarps me... ;-P ), the other is @ Main Street (I want to say Onadaga Escarpment), and then the Niagara Escarpment and then Lake Ontario. See, it always comes back to the carp! ;-P ;-P

Case solved a long time ago. Don't believe me? Take a look for yourself on a CLEAR, clear day.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

How did you figure this out?

Ancient Chinese Secret.

J/K

It has to be... It was clear as day. You can see NF and the mist... BFLO... Its inline with NF, and set back. NF being far left and Rochester being far right, almost blocked by the trees on the ridge/horizon. There is no other city out there with tall buildings like that, right on the far horizon. Then the whole looking down thing. The Niagara Escarpment drops what 200', the Onadaga Escarpment (that's the one that runs under the mouth of Lake Erie and along Main street/Route 5 east is not that high. Then Chestnut Ridge has to have a vertical of about 100' or so. But, everything is tilted/faulted up in WNY and gets higher towards the Aleghany Plateau. It is the vantage point that allows you to see. I thought about the Sears Tower here. That's like over a 1,000' and you can see into three states (WI, IN, MI) which are a ton of miles away! More than the under 100 miles to Rochester. What's the elevation from Lake Ontario (Rochester) up to Chestnut Ridge? Vertical from Lake Ontario has to be over 500'??? I think elevation @ Chestnut Ridge is over 1,000' or so above sea level. Starting @ Lake Erie is 574 above sea level. Again, The Ridge is a pretty high vantage point to see all of the northern half of WNY from Ontario, Canada in the west to Genesee Valley to the east.

The only answer is Rochester... I was back in town in Novemeber, but there was that little problem with 7 feet of snow. Most of the time I get back to BFLO, I forget to check it out. I should be heading back in a month, I will make sure to remember to check it out if we get a clear day! This time, my son will be in Europe and can't delete my pictures! ;-)

Save all this typing... What else can it be? It's inline w/NF and set slightly back away. Did they build another city in New York? With skyscrapers?

I have no idea. That's why you need to stop this bird research and get a picture of that, and don't let your son delete it.

LoL... He was pissed because he was in the pic! Damn teenager!

Anyway... I will. We do need a crystal clear day. Rochester isn't really that far. I think it is around 70 miles or so from that vantage point. Sears Tower thing is that you can see into 4 states (if you count Illinois). Michigan is the furthest across The Lake... That's like 80 miles across I THINK. BUT again, has to be crystal clear. The amazing part I remember is the roof of The Fieldhouse and dome of The Basilica, they seemed so close from that vantage point @ Chestnut. Mist from Falls could be clearly seen too!

Oh... By my work here there is a huge garbage dump "mountain." In all my years here, I never climbed, but it was practically flat when I started 20+ years ago. I estimate now that it has to have a vertical of about 70', judging from the telephone poles (insert joke). I really should sneak into the landfill and climb that bad boy... Probably get some amazing shots of the city. If I can see the Skyline 20+ miles out only elevated 20 feet up (above low trees and structures), that dump mountain should have nice views. They have a golf course here on a landfill and views of the skyline/Lake are supposed to be good.

post-1877-0-71778800-1426834322_thumb.jpg

Sears Tower is shadow along horizon.

Here is what convinced me. This pic is heading into Chicago from the south.... Still well outside the City Limits. From the southern city limits it is about 15 miles to The Loop. The southern suburbs are little higher in elevation... This was taken from Chicago Heights, IL in the far south suburbs under 30 miles away from the Sears Tower. This is a bad picture, even made worse by the size limits set by this site, I had to crop it down. In this picture you can clearly see the Sears Tower. Here I can't be more than 10-20 feet higher (judging from my GPS altimeter in my vehicle) than the Sears tower's base elevation. The nice thing here is that I have the road to look straight down, nothing is blocking the view.