The clear cut best option to get adequate QB play is...

Hplarrm

to focus on investing to make our very good D a great one.

It seems not only quite unlikely that our physically talented but to this point very inconsistent QB can doo it without a lot more experience (if ever).

It also seems that neither the FA or trade market offers anyone who provides any likely ability to carry the team on their shoulders at QB.

Further, even if on believes some draftee or FA does actually a lot more than the paid league experts can see, it seems pretty risky in this league big fast guys who can collapse your lung with one hit that banking on one athlete to not only come out of the blue but survive the whole season is not a smart strategy.

IIMHO, the smart strategy would be to invest in our good D to try to make it great.

I simply do not se the acquisition of one O player (particularly looking at the available QBs) making this O great (it may even 2 or 3 additional acquisitions merely to make our O good enuf.

Meanwhile, my sense is that this D with the FA room to sign on stud (like a lockdown CB like Revis) and a couple ofr higher quality back-ups for depth can improve itself to be a great D.

By lowering its yards yielded to opponents down they can make the playoffs with a QB who though he is not good enuf to win games on his own, but there should be good enuf not to los them.

Improving our QB performance is not going to be found on whether we choose McCoy, Glennon or Gabbert to be great and carry the team.

They and NONE of the QBs in FA or the draft are likely to carry this team on their shoulders.

However, I think their are several options and approaches which can be done to make this D great,

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is there plan, Keep building this D and beef up the running gm to top notch levels so that Defenses have to load up the box to defend it. Once the D loads up that box it's time to go vertical. The Seahawks do this better then anyone else and it works.

Every time I watch the Hawks play I find myself amazed by the intelligence of this philosophy. There running gm sets up there vertical gm. Taking shots down field vs 1 on 1 coverage makes the gm easier on your QB. Making those down field passes are actually easier then dinking dunking your way to the end zone. Watching Russ Wilson play he's not very good at working threw progressions. He's not gonna lead many long drives during the season he's just not consistent enough of a passer.

I believe EJ can play in a similar offense and have similar success. Power running with taking shots down field where there is actually more space to throw the ball to spots instead of short & intermediate gm where u have to throw into small windows. Now of course there gonna have to mix in some screens and high percentage short passes to keep the defense honest. I fully expect the Bills to play with this style taking advantage of the skill sets of Sammy & Woods.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

E.J. .....Behind a rebuilt and properly coached O-line, in a scheme not run by a preschooler at OC. Give him a good running game and let him grow. If Rex could get the NYETs to the AFC championship with Sanchise/ Roman get the 49ers to the playoffs with Kaepernick they can get us to the playoffs with this defense and the skill position players on both sides that we have. I think we all agree the talent is there.

Just go all out to fix the OL thru FA's, the draft and players the Bills have. Give EJ next season to have more time , a running game and better coaching.

+1 This. A first class, dominant O-line and talented skill position players is our best chance to get adequate QB play from a non franchise quarterback. Any quarterback looks worlds better when he has all day in the pocket to make a decision. OP needs to change the misleading title of his thread.

I think this is there plan, Keep building this D and beef up the running gm to top notch levels so that Defenses have to load up the box to defend it. Once the D loads up that box it's time to go vertical. The Seahawks do this better then anyone else and it works.

Every time I watch the Hawks play I find myself amazed by the intelligence of this philosophy. There running gm sets up there vertical gm. Taking shots down field vs 1 on 1 coverage makes the gm easier on your QB. Making those down field passes are actually easier then dinking dunking your way to the end zone. Watching Russ Wilson play he's not very good at working threw progressions. He's not gonna lead many long drives during the season he's just not consistent enough of a passer.

I believe EJ can play in a similar offense and have similar success. Power running with taking shots down field where there is actually more space to throw the ball to spots instead of short & intermediate gm where u have to throw into small windows. Now of course there gonna have to mix in some screens and high percentage short passes to keep the defense honest. I fully expect the Bills to play with this style taking advantage of the skill sets of Sammy & Woods.

I concur!!

E.J. .....Behind a rebuilt and properly coached O-line, in a scheme not run by a preschooler at OC. Give him a good running game and let him grow.

^ That

Just go all out to fix the OL thru FA's, the draft and players the Bills have. Give EJ next season to have more time , a running game and better coaching.

^ that too (which is basically the same point)

This does not follow, based on your thread title.

the title should be more like "How to mask poor QB play." Or maybe "How to win even with poor QB play."

But how does improving the D make the QB a better player?

No trolling please.

Please post that in the EJ haters I mean detractors thread.

This does not follow, based on your thread title.

the title should be more like "How to mask poor QB play." Or maybe "How to win even with poor QB play."

But how does improving the D make the QB a better player?

He didn't say it did. He said get adequate Quarterback play. Adequate Quarterback play in a team giving up 15 point per game on defense would not be adequate in a team giving up 22 points per game would it? So improving the defense lowers the bar of what is needed for adequate and given our options at Quarterback.... EJ or a bunch of scrubs.... I think lowering the bar is the only way this team gets to double digit wins.

Peyton Manning. Replay of Montana to the Chiefs 25 yrs ago. Why not? Fix the OLine and get Manning. The guy lifts all ships. Expensive as h-ll, but so what? Let EJ watch a Hall of Famer for a year.

E.J. .....Behind a rebuilt and properly coached O-line, in a scheme not run by a preschooler at OC. Give him a good running game and let him grow. If Rex could get the NYETs to the AFC championship with Sanchise/ Roman get the 49ers to the playoffs with Kaepernick they can get us to the playoffs with this defense and the skill position players on both sides that we have. I think we all agree the talent is there.

Love that.... NYets . LOL. a keeper. Yes, this could work as well. But to have Peyton Manning, even for one year... omg gotta do it.

Peyton Manning. Replay of Montana to the Chiefs 25 yrs ago. Why not? Fix the OLine and get Manning. The guy lifts all ships. Expensive as h-ll, but so what? Let EJ watch a Hall of Famer for a year.

Manning is all but done in his career. It's sink or swim time for EJ. If he can't get it done then the Bills can move on to a different young QB.

Manning is all but done in his career. It's sink or swim time for EJ. If he can't get it done then the Bills can move on to a different young QB.

But he's still kicking. I think it could easily be a Brett Favre to the Vikings type deal where we get one strong year from Peyton followed by one trainwreck year where it's obvious he should have retired.

The Bills only have EJ and Tuel on the roster currently so they need to get at least One QB to fill the roster. You can either get a veteran like Matt Moore who you know what he is, or go after a Jake Locker with high potential ceiling with a chance to Bust. Either way the Bills need a QB to fill a spot on the team.

My mistake. I didnt cleverly decipher this thread title as an EJ supporter's thread.

I am deleting my post. Seriously. Sorry for whatever I did.

You deleted your post but there are still 2 or 3 Quotes of the post.

I believe the OP wanted discussion on how to improve the O barring who the QB was.

There are always issues that need addressed beyond the QB.

By slamming EJ you open the door for slamming KO. which is unproductive.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I've said this before, at any given time there are only four or five elite QBs in the league. Then there is the group of adequate guys. Guys that can win with a good team around them. Then there is the group of guys that just don't have it. If you don't have one of the elite QBs you have to constantly try and find one. If you have an adequate QB, you still need to take a flyer on guys in the mid to late rounds. If you have a QB that just doesn't have it, then you have to do what it takes to get even an adequate QB. You still have to build a team around him. The odds of winning with adequate QB play with a good team is greater than the odds of finding an elite QB. The problem is this was not the bills approach.

I think we're all hoping EJ can be the answer, but he's not going to magically one day go out there and become the accurate passer we hoped he was/is... He is terribly in-accurate and that's not going to change.. We can hope and pray a new coaching staff can instantly increase his accuracy but if that's what your hoping for then good luck w/ that..