Donne Henderson - Candid Interview

elroy16

Generally with this interviews, the coaches don't go too much into each player. I thought Donnie was pretty candid when talking about the different guys in the secondary.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Donnie-Henderson-Gilmore-a-shutdown-corner/7f3da53f-25ae-4446-9c9b-736d46a18498

Gilmore - Quietly a shutdown corner. Challanged people to look at the stats and prove him wrong. Gilmore gives up 30-40 yards a game in his mind. IMO, not quite a shutdown corner, but getting better and has the potential to be a top CB.

McKelvin - Very fast, quick, and athletic. They run a lot of man so they're still working on turning his head and locating the ball.

Robey - Solid player, very competitive.

Graham - Good versatility

AW - Flips a switch when he gets on the field, but sometimes can't flip it off (Personal fouls). Very good player.

Searcy - Hopes he comes back, very smart player

He was on vacation when Marrone quit and Rex came on board. He heard he had a spot if he wanted it. Sounds like he's very happy to be back, likes the team and his players.

Alert: Its an AUDIO link. Warning to those of you at work.

--------

As far as our DBs, I feel confident in that group. Especially with the pressure we expect to generate.

But why does it take years for Leodis to "learn" to look for the damn ball?

Lastly, I think Bills draft a CB in rounds 6 or 7, just cause it seems like every team drafts at least one or two every year. Competition is good, I guess.

Edited by maddenboy

Leodis still having to be taught to "turn his head to locate the ball"? Give it another 6 years, I guess. He'll get there..

Gilmore must be the quietest shut down CB in the league.

Graham and Robey are for real...

Edited by Mr. WEO

Bills were ranked 3rd in passing defense. I think Henderson knows what he is doing. Byrd left and they got better. Doesn't have anything to do with Byrd himself and more to do with coaching.

I hope the bills keep Seacry.

Leodis still having to be taught to "turn his head to locate the ball"? Give it another 6 years, I guess. He'll get there..

Leodis has been way better at locating the ball the last two seasons.

Bills were ranked 3rd in passing defense. I think Henderson knows what he is doing. Byrd left and they got better. Doesn't have anything to do with Byrd himself and more to do with coaching & consistent pressure from the d-line.

added my $.02

Come on now Weo....

Leodis has made great strides over this last 2 years......lookin really good if he can stay healthy

I would really like to see him one day move up in the ranks to DC or HC to see what he can do. Maybe this spot is best for him and this is where he belongs as a DB coach but the guy puts together great units.

Bills were ranked 3rd in passing defense. I think Henderson knows what he is doing. Byrd left and they got better. Doesn't have anything to do with Byrd himself and more to do with coaching.

Seacry, out.

Nickell Robey should be given a chance to win a starting spot. He's smaller than Leodis, but he has the best instincts and closing speed of anyone on the team. He can do more than just cover the slot receiver.

Any time a bigger WR has been matched up on Robey, he's gotten beat up. The boundary is no place for him; his only spot in the NFL, IMO, is as a slot defender, where he can match up with the smaller/quicker guys, play the run effectively, and be used as a blitzer.

It's also nice to see Henderson recognize Gilmore's play...over the last half of the season, he was one of the better CBs in the league. Top 10 IMO. The Denver and GB games were easily the two best games of his career.

I thought it was interesting the way he praised Gilmore so highly, but then corrected the sh*t out of John Murphy when Murphy said Aaron Williams is a budding superstar - saying lets not go there yet. Henderson is much more bullish on Gilmore than on Williams, from the sound of it. Aaron Willliams is one of the more over-rated Bills, he's a very good player, and a good tone-setter/hitter to have back there, but I don't think he'll ever be a top safety, whereas Gilmore has the potential to get to the Peterson, Haden, and maybe even Sherman level (Revis unmentioned because I don't think any cornerback currently in the league will put together a career like Revis, dude is a legend at his position and had the most dominant stretch seen at the position since the CB rule-changes, almost a DB-version of what JJ Watt is now doing [...okay not quite Watt level, but still] ).

I thought it was interesting the way he praised Gilmore so highly, but then corrected the sh*t out of John Murphy when Murphy said Aaron Williams is a budding superstar - saying lets not go there yet. Henderson is much more bullish on Gilmore than on Williams, from the sound of it. Aaron Willliams is one of the more over-rated Bills, he's a very good player, and a good tone-setter/hitter to have back there, but I don't think he'll ever be a top safety, whereas Gilmore has the potential to get to the Peterson, Haden, and maybe even Sherman level (Revis unmentioned because I don't think any cornerback currently in the league will put together a career like Revis, dude is a legend at his position and had the most dominant stretch seen at the position since the CB rule-changes, almost a DB-version of what JJ Watt is now doing [...okay not quite Watt level, but still] ).

I think he's already better than Peterson...that guy is massively overrated IMO; he gets torched by the good WRs routinely.

The only thing separating Gilmore from Haden and Sherman are his ball skills. He hasn't always been aggressive enough on the ball, whereas he's plenty aggressive enough on the WR. The thing that makes Sherman (and, to a lesser extent, Haden) so good is not that he never gets beaten, but rather that even when he is out-positioned, he has exceptional skill at competing for the ball. Much of that is likely wrought from his extensive time as a WR at Stanford.

If Gilmore develops that kind of ball awareness/aggressiveness, look out, he'll be a true shutdown type of guy.

Generally with this interviews, the coaches don't go too much into each player. I thought Donnie was pretty candid when talking about the different guys in the secondary.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Donnie-Henderson-Gilmore-a-shutdown-corner/7f3da53f-25ae-4446-9c9b-736d46a18498

Gilmore - Quietly a shutdown corner. Challanged people to look at the stats and prove him wrong. Gilmore gives up 30-40 yards a game in his mind. IMO, not quite a shutdown corner, but getting better and has the potential to be a top CB.

McKelvin - Very fast, quick, and athletic. They run a lot of man so they're still working on turning his head and locating the ball.

Robey - Solid player, very competitive.

Graham - Good versatility

AW - Flips a switch when he gets on the field, but sometimes can't flip it off (Personal fouls). Very good player.

Searcy - Hopes he comes back, very smart player

He was on vacation when Marrone quit and Rex came on board. He heard he had a spot if he wanted it. Sounds like he's very happy to be back, likes the team and his players.

Re: gilmore- Quiet shut down corners are the more afforbible kind.... So GOOD!

Nickell Robey should be given a chance to win a starting spot. He's smaller than Leodis, but he has the best instincts and closing speed of anyone on the team. He can do more than just cover the slot receiver.

Robey has played the perimeter and proved to not physical enough to complete against WR's. He has shown that out of the slot back his instincts kill screens and other short field plays. He can't go up for the ball. While Leo has had issues tracking the ball, he is an elite physical talent, who has dominated opposing WR's during stretches the last two years.

I love that we have two man up cover corners that don't care where on the field they play. They can shadow their match ups.

i've never seen someone not be able to find the ball like McKelvin. he will be running with the receiver and the receiver will break off the route to run a slant or out and McKelvin will keep running on then spin around and not even know where the receiver is. i've seen Gilmore do this before too but he was much better this year coincidentally when McKelvin wasn't playing. could have been a bad habit he picked up from him. i would love if we got someone like Revis even if only for 1 yr

i've never seen someone not be able to find the ball like McKelvin. he will be running with the receiver and the receiver will break off the route to run a slant or out and McKelvin will keep running on then spin around and not even know where the receiver is. i've seen Gilmore do this before too but he was much better this year coincidentally when McKelvin wasn't playing. could have been a bad habit he picked up from him. i would love if we got someone like Revis even if only for 1 yr

McKelvin has played very well the last two years. (he led the Bills in int's last year. The year before he played lights out while Gilmore was nursing his wrist.

If you posted this in 2012, I would agree. Than the last two years happens.

Revis isn't worth the money. He would instantly be our best corner but we don't really have issues in the secondary. Everyone thought we did. Check the stats.

Let's spend on OL, RB, TE, QB.

Edited by JaxBills

Any time a bigger WR has been matched up on Robey, he's gotten beat up. The boundary is no place for him; his only spot in the NFL, IMO, is as a slot defender, where he can match up with the smaller/quicker guys, play the run effectively, and be used as a blitzer.

It's also nice to see Henderson recognize Gilmore's play...over the last half of the season, he was one of the better CBs in the league. Top 10 IMO. The Denver and GB games were easily the two best games of his career.

Don't be silly. Gilmore blows.