Donne Henderson - Candid Interview

elroy16

I'm still trying to figure out how fans even got down on Gilmore. I read people complaining but about what? Strangest hate ever. After Sherman and Revis Gilmore is as good as anyone.<<<<<

Gilmore has completed 2 full seasons after being drafted at the #10 slot. His start was not great. Hey, I am fully aware that CB, given the rule changes, is an extremely hard position to play. That said, he was giving up key first downs on a regular basis, this despite a very strong pass rush. He wasn't always superb vs. the run either but to his credit, I am sure that injuries factored into the equation.

At the end of the season, after being displeased with his play, I praised him. It looked like he came around.

To answer your question, he had flaws in his game and was selected at #10. I am one of those fans who has high expectations from a top 10 selection in a draft. Otoh, there are some fans who would characterize players such as Whitner and Spiller as "good picks" because they don't completely suck.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I think some fans need to watch other CBs. My goodness. You also need to watch how he plays a WR when he gives up the few catches he does. When a pass is completed on Gilmore he normally plays off the WR, normally in zone. That could be by design or his own confidence not being where it should be. Gilmore lacks swagger of great CBs. He needs to always be in press alignment. Tell the WR he can't beat him.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I think he's already better than Peterson...that guy is massively overrated IMO; he gets torched by the good WRs routinely.

The only thing separating Gilmore from Haden and Sherman are his ball skills. He hasn't always been aggressive enough on the ball, whereas he's plenty aggressive enough on the WR. The thing that makes Sherman (and, to a lesser extent, Haden) so good is not that he never gets beaten, but rather that even when he is out-positioned, he has exceptional skill at competing for the ball. Much of that is likely wrought from his extensive time as a WR at Stanford.

If Gilmore develops that kind of ball awareness/aggressiveness, look out, he'll be a true shutdown type of guy.

Yup. Right now he's the type that doesn't get beat often but doesn't particularly punish you for trying. If he gets his hand on a few it'll quickly launch him from very good to elite around the league

Nickell Robey should be given a chance to win a starting spot. He's smaller than Leodis, but he has the best instincts and closing speed of anyone on the team. He can do more than just cover the slot receiver.

Robey is better in the slot.

I think he's already better than Peterson...that guy is massively overrated IMO; he gets torched by the good WRs routinely.

The only thing separating Gilmore from Haden and Sherman are his ball skills. He hasn't always been aggressive enough on the ball, whereas he's plenty aggressive enough on the WR. The thing that makes Sherman (and, to a lesser extent, Haden) so good is not that he never gets beaten, but rather that even when he is out-positioned, he has exceptional skill at competing for the ball. Much of that is likely wrought from his extensive time as a WR at Stanford.

If Gilmore develops that kind of ball awareness/aggressiveness, look out, he'll be a true shutdown type of guy.

I enjoyed reading you're post. That was insightful.

Before his injury an argument could have been made that he was our best corner, and he did have 4 INT's in 10 games. I think he is vastly improved at locating the ball.

I strongly disagree with this assessment except for the fact that he did have 4 interceptions from an individual standpoint.

From a team standpoint our best CB play as a whole occured after McKelvin got injured. Actually they were terrific without him.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm still trying to figure out how fans even got down on Gilmore. I read people complaining but about what? Strangest hate ever. After Sherman and Revis Gilmore is as good as anyone.

Agreed on the strange hatred!

McKelvin hatred is pretty strange too as it can swing to total adoration from week to week.

I strongly disagree with this assessment except for the fact that he did have 4 interceptions from an individual standpoint.

From a team standpoint our best CB play as a whole occured after McKelvin got injured. Actually they were terrific without him.

So...you disagree that he was a much improved DB in 2014? I mean, Corey Graham filled in nicely after his injury, and that was a blessing for Buffalo, but did you not see vast improvement in his game? I certainly did.