How long can a QB play in today's era/rules?

Brady wants to play until he is 45, and seems serious about it. He has a special trainer, a special diet, etc.

However, there is a reason why it doesn't happen (45 year old QBs).

Most 50 year old retired NFL QBs who stay in shape can still throw every pass, or nearly every one. You might even be able to take a 50 year old QB and get 2-3 good games from him.

But a season is so much more than that. OTA's. Minicamps. Training camp. Preseason. 16 games. Playoffs. Super Bowl.

All the throws, all the hits, all the practices. All the hours of film study, travel, game prep. It's a grind.

It takes its toll. Even if you don't get injured (which is more probable with age... just ask Favre) your body wears down from throwing and moving so much. Could a 45 year old QB come in and play a couple games? Sure.

Kurt Warner was THIS close to signing up for a playoff run with the Cards, except that he would need to clear waivers. I think at 43 he could have come in and led them to at least 1 playoff win. But that's coming in as he is, with no wear and tear. I doubt he could sustain it.

So what do you think the ceiling is for an NFL QB to play at a high level? Favre had one of his best seasons at 40 years old. Then at age 41 it fell apart for him and his body just gave out. Moats helped. But still... He took those shots his entire career and finally his body broke. Even before then he was a shell of what he was even a year earlier.

Next season Manning will be 39. Brady will be 38.

I say Manning has two more seasons in him. He'll play at 39 and 40. I think Brady has 3-4 more. He'll play at 38,39,40 and maybe 41.

I do applaud Brady for setting such a goal, and I'm interested to see if it's possible. It will be nice for the Bills to win the AFC East a few times while Brady is still playing, as it will be extra sweet.

Thoughts?

Brady wants to play until he is 45, and seems serious about it. He has a special trainer, a special diet, etc.

Most 50 year old retired NFL QBs who stay in shape can still throw every pass, or nearly every one. You might even be able to take a 50 year old QB and get 2-3 good games from him.

But a season is so much more than that. OTA's. Minicamps. Training camp. Preseason. 16 games. Playoffs. Super Bowl.

All the throws, all the hits, all the practices. All the hours of film study, travel, game prep. It's a grind.

It takes its toll. Even if you don't get injured (which is more probable with age... just ask Favre) your body wears down from throwing and moving so much. Could a 45 year old QB come in and play a couple games? Sure.

Kurt Warner was THIS close to signing up for a playoff run with the Cards, except that he would need to clear waivers. I think at 43 he could have come in and led them to at least 1 playoff win. But that's coming in as he is, with no wear and tear. I doubt he could sustain it.

So what do you think the ceiling is for an NFL QB to play at a high level? Favre had one of his best seasons at 40 years old. Then at age 41 it fell apart for him and his body just gave out. Moats helped. But still... He took those shots his entire career and finally his body broke. Even before then he was a shell of what he was even a year earlier.

I say Manning has two more seasons in him. He'll play at 39 and 40. I think Brady has 3-4 more. He'll play at 38,39,40 and maybe 41.

I do applaud Brady for setting such a goal, and I'm interested to see if it's possible. It will be nice for the Bills to win the AFC East a few times while Brady is still playing, as it will be extra sweet.

Thoughts?

Father time is undefeated, or so goes the saying. I bet it ends with an injury, Garapollo comes in and does pretty well, BB figures its time to move on to a younger, cheaper alternative. Having said that, we can't depend on it being next year. We need to prepare to beat this NE team as it is-with the short passing game.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

Funny how a baseball player hitting 80 home runs at 37 draws suspicion but a QB that came out of college scrawny with questions about arm strength is throwing cannonballs with pinpoint accuracy at 37. Special diet indeed.

Actually Brady hasn't been great throwing deep in years. But his accuracy on the short-mid range stuff is outstanding.

Funny how a baseball player hitting 80 home runs at 37 draws suspicion but a QB that came out of college scrawny with questions about arm strength is throwing cannonballs with pinpoint accuracy at 37. Special diet indeed.

No cannonballs... lots of floaters is what I saw on anything over 10 yards.

But accurate yes. I've seen NFL alumni flag football games where the QBs have pinpoint accuracy still. It's the arm strength that goes afdter passing thousands of times in practice/games over the course of a season. The arm gets heavy.

Actually Brady hasn't been great throwing deep in years. But his accuracy on the short-mid range stuff is outstanding.

No cannonballs... lots of floaters is what I saw on anything over 10 yards.

But accurate yes. I've seen NFL alumni flag football games where the QBs have pinpoint accuracy still. It's the arm strength that goes afdter passing thousands of times in practice/games over the course of a season. The arm gets heavy.

Those short-to-mid range throws still have lots of zip. Just saying the guy is playing like he's 27, not 37. And the media swallows the whole Eastern medicine/special diet/personal trainer tripe whole. Let's not forget the whispers of PEDs that surrounded the Pats* for years when players like Tedi Bruschi and Rodney Harrison come back from devestating injuries in a matter of weeks.

Tom Brady seems like a smart guy. He’s got the VS model wife, the family, the millions in the bank, 4 Superbowl rings, his health. It’d be surprising to me if he tempts fate and plays another down after next season. Are you really going to press your good luck going for ring number 5?

I’ll bet that Belichick wouldn’t mind the challenge of trying to win a Super Bowl with Garrapolo. You know it irks him that many people think most of his success is only because he has had Tom Brady. Maybe Brady moves on to the Niners after next season and Belichick gets his opportunity to shoot down the critics, a mutual parting perhaps.

Tom Brady seems like a smart guy. He’s got the VS model wife, the family, the millions in the bank, 4 Superbowl rings, his health. It’d be surprising to me if he tempts fate and plays another down after next season. Are you really going to press your good luck going for ring number 5?
I’ll bet that Belichick wouldn’t mind the challenge of trying to win a Super Bowl with Garrapolo. You know it irks him that many people think most of his success is only because he has had Tom Brady. Maybe Brady moves on to the Niners after next season and Belichick gets his opportunity to shoot down the critics, a mutual parting perhaps.

That's what I grudgingly admire about Brady and the Patriots*

They went for the perfect season. "But you could get injured!" Still did it anyway.

They have no fear, and that is so rare in pro sports.

Thus I see him going 100% for ring #5.

Edited by TheFunPolice

shhhhhhhh

Brady will not retire before P Manning

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

No way Brady plays til 45. He's simply not the type of "tough" QB that can make it that far. Time catches up to everyone, no matter what kind of healthy life you live. Players are getting stronger and faster these days. There's only so many hits you can take from those guys as you get older. Look what Bruce Smith did to Joe Montana.

Brady is a competitor and Bellichick is ruthless, so I expect Bellichick to shock everyone and dump Brady before he's ready to retire.

Those short-to-mid range throws still have lots of zip. Just saying the guy is playing like he's 27, not 37. And the media swallows the whole Eastern medicine/special diet/personal trainer tripe whole. Let's not forget the whispers of PEDs that surrounded the Pats* for years when players like Tedi Bruschi and Rodney Harrison come back from devestating injuries in a matter of weeks.

Bruschi had a stroke. He rehabbed for 8 months--including at a specialty center. HGH doesn't work that way....

50 with some good peds

Tom Brady seems like a smart guy. He’s got the VS (victoria's closet) model wife, the family, the millions in the bank, 4 Superbowl rings, his health. It’d be surprising to me if he tempts fate and plays another down after next season. Are you really going to press your good luck going for ring number 5?
I’ll bet that Belichick wouldn’t mind the challenge of trying to win a Super Bowl with Garrapolo. You know it irks him that many people think most of his success is only because he has had Tom Brady. Maybe Brady moves on to the Niners Bills after next season and Belichick gets his opportunity to shoot down the critics, a mutual parting perhaps.

Father time is undefeated, or so goes the saying. I bet it ends with an injury, Garapollo comes in and does pretty well, BB figures its time to move on to a younger, cheaper alternative. Having said that, we can depend on it being next year. We need to prepare to beat this NE team as it is-with the short passing game.

AFAIK Father Time has never faced a QB who has inexplicably achieved GOAT status as an exclusive dink&dunker. I fully expect him to play and be annoying until 42 or so.

Father time is undefeated, or so goes the saying. I bet it ends with an injury, Garapollo comes in and does pretty well, BB figures its time to move on to a younger, cheaper alternative. Having said that, we can't depend on it being next year. We need to prepare to beat this NE team as it is-with the short passing game.

Brady traded to the Bills for a 1st round pick? We've already seen that movie. It doesn't end well.

Manning just has too much damage, I could see him retire this offseason or next easily. Brady on the other hand... He's got another 5 years at least. He's taken care himself in a pretty remarkable way. There's no reason he can't keep going for a bit longer.

AFAIK Father Time has never faced a QB who has inexplicably achieved GOAT status as an exclusive dink&dunker. I fully expect him to play and be annoying until 42 or so.

His YPA for the past 5 seasons are 7.9, 8.6, 7.6, 6.9, 7.1. Not exactly dink and dunk.

My opinion is that 45 is within reach with todays training, diets, and rule structure.

I know Brady is thought of in very "metro" terms, but, he is a tough competitor, and very intelligent with his game, and apparently his body.

Do not under rate desire.

His YPA for the past 5 seasons are 7.9, 8.6, 7.6, 6.9, 7.1. Not exactly dink and dunk.

Ah the resident Patriot fan speaks up. How much are those number attributed to RAC? Because if you watch Brady he very rarely throws the ball in the air more then 10 yards.

"Brady just wins" but they have won 1 Super Bowl in the past decade and it took an all-time dumbass call by Seattle AND an amazing play by the CB to make that happen.

He's great, for sure. Strike that, his TEAM is great, sure. But they are not only beatable, they have one in the past 10 years while the Steelers and Giants have two.

IT does not erase what happened before, but to say "Brady plays til he's 45 and we're DOOMED" is just wrong. More than likely he experiences the same exact thing that has happened to every professional athlete that has ever played and he hits a wall at 40.

I still think 41 is about the limit for an effective NFL QB. I think BOTH Brady and Manning go til they are 41. If Brady hangs on longer it will be with another team and it will be sad/hilarious.

As far as Manning....

He passed for 4,727 YDS, with 39 TD, 15 INT, and a 66.2% completion % in 2014 for a 101.5 QB rating.

That's him being "shot" and "done." He also had a fairly significant injury at the end of the season.

He will be 39 next year, but he is far from being unable to play. I could see him playing another 2-3 seasons. It's about legacy now for him, and he doesn't get hit much the way he plays.

As far as Manning....

He passed for 4,727 YDS, with 39 TD, 15 INT, and a 66.2% completion % in 2014 for a 101.5 QB rating.

That's him being "shot" and "done." He also had a fairly significant injury at the end of the season.

He will be 39 next year, but he is far from being unable to play. I could see him playing another 2-3 seasons. It's about legacy now for him, and he doesn't get hit much the way he plays.

The injury was the reason he looked shot & done. It shouldn't be mentioned in passing like a footnote - his play fell off a cliff right then.

Of course one can reasonably guess that sort of thing is more likely to happen @40..

Brady plans on playing until he's 45 and he might do it. He doesn't get hit much and if they hit him it's an automatic flag usually. Manning has a bad neck and and Romo has a bad back and those guys are still playing and putting up great stats. In past years they might not have been on the field but the way they protect QB's these days I can definitely see more than a few guys playing well into their 40's

Thoughts?

The reason it hasn't happened yet is because QBs used to take a beating and by age 35 their bodies had had enough punishment. Kelly, Elway, Montana, etc. Those guys were all done by their mid-late 30s.

The league now makes sure QBs are rarely touched; and if you are Brady rarer still.

Manning is just about finished -- he'll play one more season. Brady probably has at least 3 more years.

Edited by KD in CT

The reason it hasn't happened yet is because QBs used to take a beating and by age 35 their bodies had had enough punishment. Kelly, Elway, Montana, etc. Those guys were all done by their mid-late 30s.

The league now makes sure QBs are rarely touched; and if you are Brady rarer still.

Manning is just about finished -- he'll play one more season. Brady probably has at least 3 more years.

I believe we are ALL aware of the numerous Brady* Rules enacted by the NFL !

HGH is a helluva drug (errr, hormone), so he could play until 45.

Otherwise, other posts are correct - father time is undefeated. Lots of guys wanted to play longer but their bodies give out, usually quickly.

Lets assume Brady is not using HGH.

One thing the Patriots would TOTALLY DO is have brady 'retire' take HGH all offseason, then 'un retire' in June. COme back for a 1 year deal. Retire, HGH, unretire, repeat.

Thats one way to avoid teh drug testing!

Lets assume Brady is not using HGH.

One thing the Patriots would TOTALLY DO is have brady 'retire' take HGH all offseason, then 'un retire' in June. COme back for a 1 year deal. Retire, HGH, unretire, repeat.

Thats one way to avoid teh drug testing!

Per Chris Cooley - unless you are a repeat offender, the NFL tests once a year. IT's done at the same time every year.

Party hard, dope it up and hold off for a month before the test.

Then once you pass you resume