Hackett learns lot from St. Doug - How to opt out/Join Jax

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate isn't ready to go it alone. He may learn something from the new OC and will have his big brother Doug at his side. He would have been destroyed in SL

How so?

I was kinda hoping for him to strike out on his own and succeed away from Marrone. Either way, I'm rooting for the guy.

i could cut him some slack, if i was sure our lack of commitment to forging an offensive identity was due to his trying to appease Marrone's pleas for throwing a mixed bag of concepts against the wall until something stuck - but he was complicit in the offensive failures. he just wasn't good enough to salvage any piece of the successful system he and Marrone brought with them from Syracuse.

not one piece.

we couldn't run.

we couldn't throw.

we squandered opportunities

we didn't adjust

all we got were glimpses of what our offense was capable of doing, until an opponent began defending it.

god bless Freddie J. - but i just hope he can remain healthy enough this season to enjoy playing under a professional staff.

i'll post this in every 'Hackett was a good OC' thread, until that drum stops beating..
he, and Marrone, were incapable of getting even average offensive production from average to above-average players.
neither of them know why they failed, so it's no surprise that neither of them can adequately express what they've learned from their failure in their interviews.
good luck to them both.. they'll need it.

Anyone else wonder if Marrone will accidentally sabotage the OL which will shut down the offense so the team goes winless, Gus is fired mid-season, he takes over as interim HC, "changes the culture" by signing St. Orton for the last 8 games, goes 4-4 to end the season, and is a top HC candidate in 2015 because St. Doug just pulled off another miracle by winning in buffalo AND Jacksonville.

He's used up his lifetime supply of miracles.

Marrone, I mean.

Edited by AJ1

How so?

I was kinda hoping for him to strike out on his own and succeed away from Marrone. Either way, I'm rooting for the guy.

yep

i'll post this in every 'Hackett was a good OC' thread, until that drum stops beating..
he, and Marrone, were incapable of getting even average offensive production from average to above-average players.
neither of them know why they failed, so it's no surprise that neither of them can adequately express what they've learned from their failure in their interviews.
good luck to them both.. they'll need it.

I think BIDD that Hackems progress will be interesting to follow for a couple years. I imagine he is a sponge type guy, He is quite young and can learn.

i will be keeping an eye on him just for fun

What is wrong with theses guys, how do you decline OC for a QBC ? :doh: :doh: :doh: (maroonitis)

I feel bad for the Jags. They had a terrible offense and fixed it by adding staff from the Bills and Raiders :death:

They are counting on Bortles to make them Geniuses

This feels like a bad career move for Nate. There are already owners questioning St. Doug on loyalty. If they hire him how can they trust that he won't quit? He was unable to overcome his shortcomings in this round of interviews. Will he do better next year?

In addition, Marrone did not do any favors to Hackett's offense (or whoever's that was). He had a chance to distance himself from Marrone (who is pretty toxic at the moment) and he didn't. He followed him.

I assume he knew he wasn't likely to get the OC job, otherwise you're right. He might have been held back by Saint Doug, but Marrone did give him his first good gig as OC in Syracuse and his first big NFL gig as OC in Buff. Marrone will get some job, maybe in college, if not the NFL and Hackett will be an OC again.

IMO, Marrone is counting on Bradley being a bum and taking over in Jax, maybe as soon as next year, and Hackett is right there with him.

Why bring him back for a second interview if they were more than likely not to offer the job? IMO, a second interview is because enough interest is garnered in the first interview and they want to dig deeper in round two.

no guarantee he had a job with the Rams. He has a family to support and an opportunity to keep coaching in the NFL.... Hard to blame the guy.

But, why would he accept the Jags job before the Rams made up their minds ?

He had a chance to distance himself from Marrone (who is pretty toxic at the moment) and he didn't. He followed him.

Which is what I find quite peculiar.