FA QB option: Matt Moore

YoloinOhio

EJ needs to be given the opportunity to earn the starting role but we still need another QB in here just in case.

Reports say that Bucs may be willing to trade Glennon. Anyone up to giving up a 4th or so for him? I would be.

Let Glennon/EJ compete.

I think this coaching staff may want a more mobile QB. Glennon is a statue.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orton retired. He's gone. Bye-bye! So, you know, he's not really available. Hoyer is not leaving Cleveland, and even if he did, he's not a good fit. Bradford is who I want as well, but the chances they make a deal for him are remote, you can't ignore the QB position while holding out hope for Bradford -- especially when Bradford comes with his own question marks.

Moore is the best UFA (key qualifier) available, and adding him at least provides stability and depth at the position. Right now we have zero depth at the most important position on the field. Moore will address that, while adding viable competition for the starting gig. Moore isn't my number one choice to be the starter in '15 for the Bills, but I'd love to see him on this roster as depth at least.

Oh what you guys don't think I know this? I am obviously just stating that I'd rather have a QB that we all know to be horrible and none of us want to go through having Kyle Orton again, than to sign this crappy QB that would just make us go through the same kind of growing pains. I don't want Orton! I don't want Matt Moore either. You guys are delusional.

And Hoyer is a FA QB right now just like Moore. You can't state he's not available because you just don't think he will be. We are discussing free agent QB's for the Bills here.

And discussing your point of "You can't ignore the QB position while holding out hope for Bradford" - You have to make a move I agree, but first you make a team consensus. A decision. And if a teams goals were to improve the QB position they would explore all options correct? So you explore if Bradford can be had, if not then you move on to plan B if Bradford was your plan A. So you don't just jump in to signing Hoyer or Matt Moore. There wouldn't be any "Ignoring the QB position." That statement makes little sense.

And your opinion that Moore is the BEST UFA available is simply that, an opinion. I doubt you or anyone else on this board understand what our new coach's are exactly wanting in their QB position.

To me you just don't JUMP in to free agency and sign the first guy you see. Buffalo is a top 4 place right now for a QB to go to. We pretty much can choose from the cream of the crop at QB in free agency. So what's with all of these low expectations... No, I don't want Matt Moore. I believe Locker has a ton more talent (Yes he can't stay healthy) I would still sign him over Moore. Hoyer has shown he can be a efficient QB, last year in his first full year starting (Besides two games).

Let's look at Hoyers QB rating, and I'll just use the QB rating, even though it's not perfect, instead of posting a slew of other stats.

Week 4 bye

Week 1: @ PIT 94.0

Week 2: vs NO 81.7

Week 3: vs BAL 127.1

Week 5: @ Ten 97.9

Week 6: vs PIT 113.0

Week 8 vs OAK 111.5

Week 9 vs TB 85.4

Week 10 @ CIN 92.3

After week 10 his game completely fell off. Why? Who knows, Manziel? Coaching? Him? I'm not sure. But I know this, he played at a pro-bowl level from week 1-10 and had the whole league talking about the Browns. And that's enough for me to see to have him above Moore.

Edited by DukeyBomb

Yeah, I wouldn't want any of those guys, but Moore is a benchwarmer, for sure. He had one fraction of a season where he was the starter in Miami and he went 6-7.....and that was 4 years ago.

Looks like the best thing to happen to Moore professionally is for him to have sat and done nothing for 3 seasons. Now people here can covet him for that one brief period where he was another mediocre starter.

No one is coveting any particular qb because the pickings are slim. All you can hope for is to find a serviceable qb who can play at an average (at best) starter level. Orton, especially playing behing such a sieve line, was horrible last year. He got worse as the season advanced. He was brought in because there was no other option on the market.

If you can upgrade the position, or at the minimum, have an experienced backup qb then you are moving forward. The Bills are not going to find their longterm franchise qb this offseason, but that doesn't mean that the qb position can't be upgraded compared to last year.

Edited by JohnC

Here's my Kellen Moore theory:

He had a monstrous career at Boise St. throwing a ton of TD passes (many long) and only lost a few games as a 4 year starter.

Then he went to Detroit where he sat behind a franchise QB (Matt Stafford) for 3 years.

We often lament here on TBD that it's a shame QBs must start right away. A QB should sit and learn for a few years first. That's what Kellen's done.

I'm not saying bring him in to start, bring him in to compete.

There are a couple of other guys in the same boat. Ryan Mallet and Tyrod Taylor who sat behind Tom Brady and Joe Flaco respectively.

Instead of bringing in vets who have played and played not very well, let's try something different. Bring in the guy who had a good college career and studied behind a franchise QB for a few years instead of being thrown in to sink (probably) or swim.

Hopefully this helps you understand my position.

I like this idea better than signing Matt Moore.

Helloooooooooo DukeyyyyyyyyBommmmmmmmb! Orton has retired. Orton is not an option.

Bradford will be let go in a GM's wet dreams. If we're dreaming about unattainable QB, I'd rather have Steve Young.

You can prefer Locker and Hoyer to Matt Moore if you want, I have no problem with that - arguments can be made. But if you want someone to take your manaical laughing attack seriously, you need to muster an argument about why two guys with 56.5% and 57.5% career completion are better than a guy with 58.9% career completion; why a guy who throws an equal number of TD and INT is better than a guy who at least throws more TD etc etc etc.

Read my what I typed previously two posts ago. lol I was simply stating that's who I'd rather have in comparison. Nobody should want Kyle Orton. He's retired, I'm not a "fan" who doesn't follow my team. Are you people (those who type every day on here) so use to uneducated fans posting here, you think I didn't know Orton was retired? lol My bad, I will try to explain my thoughts more simply and drawn out for you all.

Edited by DukeyBomb

he might be a decent game manager for a run-happy offense

I can't remember the site where I read some very good EJ's numbers regarding play action plays. I tried to find it by googling it but apparently I suck at that.

Either way, which ever QB we select will be better off with a strong running game.

I can't remember the site where I read some very good EJ's numbers regarding play action plays. I tried to find it by googling it but apparently I suck at that.

Either way, which ever QB we select will be better off with a strong running game.

i don't have the stats but he has thrown some beautiful PA passes. His mobility is a factor and he does a good job of selling it with proper technique, because it forces the D to account for a potential scramble.

Here's my Kellen Moore theory:

He had a monstrous career at Boise St. throwing a ton of TD passes (many long) and only lost a few games as a 4 year starter.

Then he went to Detroit where he sat behind a franchise QB (Matt Stafford) for 3 years.

We often lament here on TBD that it's a shame QBs must start right away. A QB should sit and learn for a few years first. That's what Kellen's done.

I'm not saying bring him in to start, bring him in to compete.

There are a couple of other guys in the same boat. Ryan Mallet and Tyrod Taylor who sat behind Tom Brady and Joe Flaco respectively.

Instead of bringing in vets who have played and played not very well, let's try something different. Bring in the guy who had a good college career and studied behind a franchise QB for a few years instead of being thrown in to sink (probably) or swim.

Hopefully this helps you understand my position.

Thanks for explaining; this does make some sense.

No one is coveting any particular qb because the pickings are slim. All you can hope for is to find a serviceable qb who can play at an average (at best) starter level. Orton, especially playing behing such a sieve line, was horrible last year. He got worse as the season advanced. He was brought in because there was no other option on the market.

If you can upgrade the position, or at the minimum, have an experienced backup qb then you are moving forward. The Bills are not going to find their longterm franchise qb this offseason, but that doesn't mean that the qb position can't be upgraded compared to last year.

Don't we already have our starter as per the EJ mother hens?

Don't we already have our starter as per the EJ mother hens?

If EJ can beat out the qb(s) brought in then more power to him. Then at the minimum you have a good backup option. I want EJ to succeed. But it would be foolish to count on it.

I got an idea, The Bills should be innovative let's sign Locker, Vick & Moore trade for Bradford and use a baseball staff approach. Along with Ej that's 5 Qbs. We can either use them in rotation of games or use them according to in game situations.

For example if we're down by multiple scores or in 2 min drills we use Bradford to throw the ball. In short yardage situations we can use Locker, Ej or Vick in read option qb keeper plays. Vick should always start gms to keep D´s off balance. Ej can come in to start 3rd Quarters considering that he's a good 2nd half QB. Last but not least Matt Moore can be the reliable closer QB that comes in and closes games when we have a lead.

I remember in late 80's when John Elway got hurt for the Broncos. The Broncos employed a similar system with Tommy Maddox & Kubiak. It was weird to watch but interesting non the less

I kind of like you.

I like this idea better than signing Matt Moore.

Read my what I typed previously two posts ago. lol I was simply stating that's who I'd rather have in comparison. Nobody should want Kyle Orton. He's retired, I'm not a "fan" who doesn't follow my team. Are you people (those who type every day on here) so use to uneducated fans posting here, you think I didn't know Orton was retired? lol My bad, I will try to explain my thoughts more simply and drawn out for you all.

That takes care of the Orton preference, now if you'd like to explain why you think Bradford will be let go and why it's reasonable to scoff at Moore but give a thumbs up to 2 QB who are no better and may be worse (Hoyer and Locker) we can all settle in for a nice chat

And heck, if we're changing the topic to include unavailable QB, I'll still take Steve Young.

Yup, this.

Keep in mind Roman/Harbaugh took SF to 13-3 and the conference championship with Smith, who was well established as a "bust" by then.

Edited by Hopeful

@Hopeful-- I don't EXPECT Bradford will be simply released. I am hoping and speaking my opinion based upon what everybody else knows and is speculating on. IF Bradford is available, he's my #1 choice. And there is a very real possibility he can be had. Is that simplified enough for you?

Edited by DukeyBomb

Hoyer was having a pretty decent season until the game here... He deserves consideration... As does Sanchez.... And if Phila wants to move up in the draft they might be inclined to deal Foles for a draft pick... Lots of considerations here...

Edited by DefenseWins

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have Matt Moore than Josh McCown if I'm going with a veteran stopgap like Buffalo is.

Alen Dumonjić (@Dumonjic_Alen) February 16, 2015

I trust Moore more to manage the game and he can push the ball vertically. He throws seams well.

I understand that Bills will like McCown as a game manager in Roman's WCO, which McCown is familiar with, but Moore is simply better.

I think based on reading this Moore is the best option

Edited by K-Apps

At least he's capable of competing, and can also serve as insurance as a backup. There really isn't a whole lot of viable options available, and like it or not, EJ is going to be the week 1 starter - as he should be! The staff has to comitt to his development first with the other options as a plan B.

Edited by BmarvB