FA QB option: Matt Moore

YoloinOhio

not sure Miami can afford to pay him

I think that's why they've been shedding bodies. Backup QB going rate is now $5mil for a warm body. My guess is that McCown's deal just earned Moore another $500k/yr

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's why they've been shedding bodies. Backup QB going rate is now $5mil for a warm body. My guess is that McCown's deal just earned Moore another $500k/yr

what I read is that they don't want to pay a backup QB that much anymore because they believe they have an established starter now and he is very durable. Can get away with cheaper backup.

what I read is that they don't want to pay a backup QB that much anymore because they believe they have an established starter now and he is very durable. Can get away with cheaper backup.

Pretty risky gamble. You're not going to get much talent for cheap. Just ask Arizona & St Louis.

Too bad for them, good for us.

Why do people want locker? He is just a white version of EJ and likely a worse one at that. He stunk in college and people only know whonhe is because that idiot Todd mcshay thought he was good

The thing is, most reasonable people look at EJ and realize that as a FA he'd be near the top of this trash heap. Locker is near the top of the heap.

There's no golden bullet here, so we have to assemble a group of long shots and hope that between them someone finds chemistry with the staff/team and a light comes on. If that means rolling with white EJ and black locker, and some vet like Moore--- lets see what happens.

Seattle went through whitehurst, tjax, Flynn and the long shot that hit for them was a mid round draft pick. Shuffling guys with potential is about all we can do. Let's find guys that have shown flashes and have raw skills that match our system.

The thing is, most reasonable people look at EJ and realize that as a FA he'd be near the top of this trash heap. Locker is near the top of the heap.

There's no golden bullet here, so we have to assemble a group of long shots and hope that between them someone finds chemistry with the staff/team and a light comes on. If that means rolling with white EJ and black locker, and some vet like Moore--- lets see what happens.

Seattle went through whitehurst, tjax, Flynn and the long shot that hit for them was a mid round draft pick. Shuffling guys with potential is about all we can do. Let's find guys that have shown flashes and have raw skills that match our system.

I'm good with this -- presuming a guy like Peyton doesn't suddenly become available.

I still harken back to watching the "early" EJ -- both preseason and those first few games of 2013 -- and saw a guy who was making plays. I get the sense that after he hurt his knee against Cleveland, Marrone essentially castrated him from that point forward and coached from an extremely negative, don't-make-mistakes perspective.

Let's see what some "positive" coaching does for the kid, and bring in a couple of other live arms (Tuel doesn't qualify) to provide competition.

Yep, this. Seattle had a starter - Tarvaris Jackson - who had history of taking his previous team to 2 playoff games and gone 7-7 the previous year playing with a torn pec. They also had Whitehurst, who had been announced as a potential starter and as a competitor to Tarvaris for the starting job. Not good enough, said Seattle. They signed Flynn to a splashy deal with $9M guaranteed, which didn't stop them from drafting Wilson when he fell to the 3rd.

This is exactly the kind of strategy I would like to see the Bills employ. We have a guy who was drafted as a starter. Bring in a vet. Heck, bring in 2. Then draft whatever QB we like in the 2nd or 3rd. Don't cut them early, hang on to them all. Some may go down with injuries, fine, then they'll have 3. If you have 4 healthy guys going into the season, who knows, maybe another team will be in a bad place due to injuries and will be willing to swap a late pick to be sure they have someone on deck and if not, you can cut them then, but why cut away your choices early?

That strategy may be nice to the player (give them more chance to catch on with another team) but it hasn't served the Bills well. It's especially important if the Bills do pursue historically injury-prone players like Bradford or Locker.

Edited by Hopeful

Yep, this. Seattle had a starter - Tarvaris Jackson - who had history of taking his previous team to 2 playoff games and gone 7-7 the previous year playing with a torn pec. They also had Whitehurst, who had been announced as a potential starter and as a competitor to Tarvaris for the starting job. Not good enough, said Seattle. They signed Flynn to a splashy deal with $9M guaranteed, which didn't stop them from drafting Wilson when he fell to the 3rd.

This is exactly the kind of strategy I would like to see the Bills employ. We have a guy who was drafted as a starter. Bring in a vet. Heck, bring in 2. Then draft whatever QB we like in the 2nd or 3rd. Don't cut them early, hang on to them all. Some may go down with injuries, fine, then they'll have 3. If you have 4 healthy guys going into the season, who knows, maybe another team will be in a bad place due to injuries and will be willing to swap a late pick to be sure they have someone on deck and if not, you can cut them then, but why cut away your choices early?

That strategy may be nice to the player (give them more chance to catch on with another team) but it hasn't served the Bills well. It's especially important if the Bills do pursue historically injury-prone players like Bradford or Locker.

This is the right way to do it.

Why do people want locker? He is just a white version of EJ and likely a worse one at that. He stunk in college and people only know whonhe is because that idiot Todd mcshay thought he was good

I watched Locker years ago at the combine, or maybe it was some other event where he got to throw the ball with other college QBs. I was stunned at how inaccurate he was.

That makes a lot of sense. Moore was there to help develop Tannehill and as insurance in case Tannehill faltered. Now that Tannehill is entering his 4th year and looking reasonably solid, it would make some sense for them to throw more money at other FA to try to improve that 20th ranked D, maybe pick up a 2nd tier FA QB who would feel paid with $750k and a signing bonus and draft a guy.

I watched Locker years ago at the combine, or maybe it was some other event where he got to throw the ball with other college QBs. I was stunned at how inaccurate he was.

Yes.

EJ, I believe, is inaccurate because of hesitation. He's conservative and he doesn't trust his read. It shows in that in college, where he knew his reads, he was a >65% completion guy.

Locker is just inaccurate from what I've seen. It showed in college where I think his best year was 58%.

Since the Bills are the next Seahawks this is our trio for the upcoming season. EJ, Moore & Hundley. Ej will play the TJack role Moore will be the free agent signing filling the Middle Flynn role & Hundley will be the next Russ he's gonna come in and take over wow everyone and win the Superbowl!!.

Hey guys wake me up cause I'm dreaming. Lol

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

I'm with you here and I don't see Matt Moore as a guy with any potential.

I'm with you here and I don't see Matt Moore as a guy with any potential.

Long term, probably not. I've wrestled a little with Moore as generally Id probably prefer a younger guy but of the 30+ club goes, Id rather Moore over mccown or hill or..... Heck, orton. As a vet mentor/stopgap goes he's my favorite

If the competition is even remotely close Id rather keep the young guy on the field though.

Edited by NoSaint

I think Moore is worth exploring in FA. He currently doesn't have a chance to start in Miami as Tannehill doesn't miss games, even when hurt. He's making 4mill/yr because he's valuable to the Fish and is a former starter. He knows the division well. At the very least I think he could be good vet backup, similar to Orton. Thoughts?

@DolfansNYC: Dolphins free-agent profile: QB Matt Moore http://t.co/aOyEdrbcbq#Dolphins

There's an article linked on TBD that has interesting assessments of several FA and trade target QB by several experts

Here's their take on Moore:

Matt Moore

Ht./wt.: 6-3, 220. Age: 30.

Experience: 8 seasons.

2014 stats: 2 games (0 starts), 2-4 (50.0 pct.), 21 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs.

What they’re saying: Dominik: “He’s the most interesting guy out of that free-agent class. He’s more mature. He’s seen a lot, done a lot. He’s just waiting for his opportunity.” Polian: “He’s an accomplished backup quarterback who I probably would look closely at. He understands the game, knows how to play, been reasonably successful, given the circumstances that he’s been in.”

Carucci’s take: His experience and smarts are worth having. He seems capable of at least filling the role of “bridge” quarterback for a couple of seasons, if necessary, and perhaps providing a bit more than that. Elsewhere in the article, Dominik is also quoted as saying "“Then, there’s a quarterback like Matt Moore, who I’m very intrigued by, who’s always just been on the cusp, but never gotten that real shot to be the starter. But when you go back to ‘Hard Knocks,’ ” when the HBO series featured the Miami Dolphins’ training camp, “you saw that that guy had leadership ability and the team really respected him.”

He quotes Polian as saying that for a Roman Ground and Pound style offense the priority is to avoid turnovers

Then, theres a quarterback like Matt Moore, who Im very intrigued by, whos always just been on the cusp, but never gotten that real shot to be the starter."

I read this about Matt a lot. But didn't he get a chance to start in Carolina? AND he did start 12 games for the Fish in 2011. For some reason they decided to look elsewhere.

Edited by reddogblitz

I read this about Matt a lot. But didn't he get a chance to start in Carolina? AND he did start 12 games for the Fish in 2011. For some reason they decided to look elsewhere.

We will be looking elsewhere too no matter who we sign unless EJ or a rookie wins a bunch of games and establishes himself as a good starting QB. Any of these FA guys are short term deals. Edited by YoloinOhio

He's had some interesting spots with injuries, coaching changes and even simply availability of tannehill with his college coach taking over the Dolphins offense. That's not to say he's been screwed of anything but never really been given the chance. That Miami season wasn't a bad one, but he didn't make himself irreplaceable either. If we have a qb beat him out - great. If not, he's probably on par with orton if not a little better

We will be looking elsewhere too no matter who we sign unless EJ or a rookie wins a bunch of games and establishes himself as a good starting QB. Any of these FA guys are short term deals.

We need to sign FA quarterbacks now, not after we see what EJ et al do. Why would you wait?