Josh Gordon fails another drug test; 1-yr banishment

YoloinOhio

No? NO???

Some people wouldn't want him on the team?? That's laughable. I'm guessing whoever feels that way owns a Chris Hogan jersey and/or is part of his extended family.

The letter was nicely written. I also hate that cliche of "I'm worried about him" by people on tv regarding others they don't even know. It's so phony.

Edited by QB Bills

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was one of the most masterfully written burns I've ever read. That kid is pretty intelligent.

I'm sure he had the help of a great editor, but yes. I'm glad he called those guys out. It's funny how some people act so close to these guys when we they are anything but.

That was actually a really nicely written letter by Josh Gordon and I agree with him completely

Times are changing and 1/4 of all US adults have either smoked or do smoke weed, it is becoming legal in many states and within the next 10 years it will be legal all over the country.

When I was younger I used to think that Ricky Williams was an idiot for smoking pot and jeopardizing his playing career, but you know what, he was ahead of the times. This criminilization of a drug that has way less negative impacts on society compared to alcohol needs to end.

Josh Gordon should be allowed to come back in the NFL and it is such hypocritical bull **** that the league is going to suspend him for consuming alcohol when they literally SMASH IT in your face during the games.

A lot of contradiction in this letter. I can understand he came from a rough background and persevered, but so did a lot of guys in the NFL who didn't end up in this situation. If he doesn't have a problem like he says, then he has a pattern of terrible decision making, which deserves less empathy. He calls out the media, but that is what happens when you are a public figure. He did it to himself. No one did it to him. He seems most concerned about being labeled an alcoholic/drug addict than he is about the actual issue - that he is throwing his career away. He says his only problem is being 23? It seems all the other 23 year olds in the NFL who have managed to avoid consistent suspension don't see their age as a "problem." You are supposed to make mistakes. You are also supposed to learn from your mistakes, which he hasn't. He says he makes no excuses for his past and it comes right after the headline "to know me, you have to know where I come from."

He hasn't learned from any of his mistakes. Apparently they are all fixable too, since he claims not to have a problem. It shows me he is more upset about being labeled than he is about getting his life right. He is more concerned about how he is portrayed in the media than he is actually correcting his missteps. He has continuously shown to be more concerned with words than actions. If it would be a stretch to even be called a social drinker as he says, then gets on a plane the day after the season and pounds four drinks? He doesn't seem to be living in the real world.

I love Charles, am indifferent on Carter and dislike Smith. Good on Gordon saying those three shouldn't be the one's offering advice.

He's guilty of some bad decision making, that's for sure. But at 23, coming from where he came from, not many people aren't. Hope he gets it right. Superstar talent.

Do we believe him? Do we believe he wrote this himself? Do you read this and wish the Bills would take a chance on him?

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open-letter-to-charles-barkley-co-cb5c4e64cf3

I am not a fan of someone being banned from drinking legal alcohol especially if they don't have a proven issue with it. I'm shocked the NFLPA allowed this and that he's being tested after the season. I do think he's being unfairly treated.

I hope the Jets get this guys rights. He will be cheap, he's a crazy game changer on the field and every person I have heard talk about meeting him in person says he is intelligent, well spoken and respectful. He's just young and dumb, like many of us were at one time.

He's a long shot, but it's the perfect risk and reward scenario.

A lot of contradiction in this letter. I can understand he came from a rough background and persevered, but so did a lot of guys in the NFL who didn't end up in this situation. If he doesn't have a problem like he says, then he has a pattern of terrible decision making, which deserves less empathy. He calls out the media, but that is what happens when you are a public figure. He did it to himself. No one did it to him. He seems most concerned about being labeled an alcoholic/drug addict than he is about the actual issue - that he is throwing his career away. He says his only problem is being 23? It seems all the other 23 year olds in the NFL who have managed to avoid consistent suspension don't see their age as a "problem." You are supposed to make mistakes. You are also supposed to learn from your mistakes, which he hasn't. He says he makes no excuses for his past and it comes right after the headline "to know me, you have to know where I come from."

He hasn't learned from any of his mistakes. Apparently they are all fixable too, since he claims not to have a problem. It shows me he is more upset about being labeled than he is about getting his life right. He is more concerned about how he is portrayed in the media than he is actually correcting his missteps. He has continuously shown to be more concerned with words than actions. If it would be a stretch to even be called a social drinker as he says, then gets on a plane the day after the season and pounds four drinks? He doesn't seem to be living in the real world.

Most athletes aren't, unfortunately. Product of entitlement at a very young age. If you're told you're special enough, you'll begin to act like rules don't apply to you.

You're one of my favorite posters here but I think your bias against him is clouding some judgment. he spent a LOT of time in that letter blaming himself. He blamed himself more than the media or his upbringing. He was pissed that people that never met him, talked to him, or know anything about his case are acting like concerned citizens, especially Cris Carter, when they were worse than him.

And four drinks on a cross country trip to Vegas with your teammates is not out of control, sorry. It may be stupid, but that part I actually believed. That he didn't know it was for after the season and only thought it was in season, which a lot of this stuff is.

I think the letter is very genuine. What he needs is counseling so that he does not feel the need to lean on drugs an alcohol when he is down. He is just a kid will undoubtedly mature. I do fully support the 1yr suspension for his recent violation. He has made too many mistakes and disregarded the rules too many times in the past. This one may be a minor violation, but it is a pattern of activity. He has every right in the world to have those drinks on the flight to Vegas, but if he chooses those drinks, he loses the privilege to play in the NFL. He has to learn to make better choices regardless of his upbringing.

boo hoo poor Josh. are you trying to convince us you don't have a problem? because nobody is buying it bro. you have failed multiple drug tests both in college and pro, got a dui, got suspensed, got benched all within the past year. it's nobody's fault but your own. and now you are going to be all but out of the league after this one. but yes you have "succeeded" as you have said. you took a ton of natural talent and wasted it. one of the worst cases of this in league history. nobody cares where you are from or how hard life was. it was like that for a lot of guys in the NFL who are clean cut and hard working so as to not go back to that kind of existence.

might sound harsh but i don't feel bad for Josh Gordon. he did it to himself and now he's trying to brush it off like it's no big deal. maybe this next suspension will show him that he can't be a young punk in a man's league and maybe then he will straighten himself out. we have all had hardships in our lives but it takes a real man to admit when he's wrong and get back on track and in this letter he failed to do that. if he said "you know what, I have a problem and I'm going to seek counseling and come back better than ever" then ok, I would support that. but from the looks of it he still hasn't learned his lesson and maybe he never will

Extremely well written letter. Not sold he wrote it himself. Not sold he's just young and naive without any substance abuse problems. Not sold his unapologetic stance will play to his advantage with the league. Not sold his ghetto upbringing will elicit sympathy considering how many others in the league have the same story.

I don't know the truth. Maybe he truly is a thoughtful, articulate, tragic figure who is more a victim of bad luck and circumstance than bad behavior. Maybe he isn't, and this letter was a crock of **** his agent drafted to try making him appear more marketable.

Maybe not.

Either way, I'm not sold.

Not to mention that the NFL was not giving random tests, they were trying to catch him.

Well...he seemed to know the BAL test was coming as soon as he landed.

The sincerity of the letter aside, this kid keeps getting chances to stay in the league, and blowing them. His many excuses as to why he can't comply with the restrictions he has brought upon himself are meaningless at this point. Why should anyone listen?

He has spewed the same excuses for years. Until he actually stops screwing up, cannot be taken seriously. I don't know if he's an addict, but I do know he has failed numerous drug and alcohol tests. What does that have to do with growing up poor? Breaking: Josh Gordon faced hardship growing up. The rest of the NFL can't relate.