Josh Gordon fails another drug test; 1-yr banishment

YoloinOhio

I've seen people I care about greatly suffer consequences for things that didn't hurt someone when they happened. My point in relation to Gordon is simple. He was told no drinking no drugs or we will suspend you and you won't play. It's equal to a parent saying to a kid my house my rules. Follow them or get out. Playing in the NFL isn't a right it's a privilege. If he's not willing to follow their rules, why should it matter if the rule hurts anyone or not? It's not a law, it's a condition of employment and he chose to break it. So why shouldnt he have to suffer the consequences? Because you feel that the rule of law doesn't hurt anyone?

There's a difference between whether I accept the league's right to do it and whether I think he deserves his fate. It's a pretty chilly POV.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, got ya. I always thought the issue with those cases was "intent to distribute". But it does seem legalization elsewhere makes that particular crime and punishment seem ridiculous.

My friend had a legal small grow of 4 plants...they arrested him and took his 1 and 3 year old kids away for 8 days, split them up, and put them into 2 different places in the ghetto that could double as a crack house in a movie. All because he had 4 plants in his garage he was doing research on to develop a new line of nutrients as he is a bio chemist. They never even officially filed the charges, but they tried to claim child abuse and tried to keep his kids longer until he got in front of a judge and the judge got pissed it happened and ordered his kids returned immediately. And he was fully compliant with paper work to back it up.

Funny thing is, the laundry detergent and cleaning supplies of a every day household put kids in harm 24/7...his plants, which don't even produce actual cannabis because they are always in a vegetation state were labeled child abuse even though a kid could eat the entire plant and not even have a bad bowl movement let alone be in danger.

And we live in CA, where its legal to grow and to distribute, even though he didn't do either...he was running experiments on a nutrient line made of organic minerals for cannabis and on tomatoes.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I hope you have kids and I hope they serve long prison sentences for non-violent drug offenses.

I get your point, but please don't wish that on anyone. Where I used to live, according to the sherriff, 85-90% of the people in jail/prison are there for something drug related. I hope we find a way to change this for the better.

So anyway... The browns suck and now need to probably use their first 2 picks on WRs, neither of which will probably be as good as Sammy when they could have just had Sammy.

Maybe we can trade them Sammy for their next four first rounders +/- ? He doesn't LOOK like Herschel Walker, but they may go for it...

I get your point, but please don't wish that on anyone. Where I used to live, according to the sherriff, 85-90% of the people in jail/prison are there for something drug related. I hope we find a way to change this for the better.

Maybe we can trade them Sammy for their next four first rounders +/- ? He doesn't LOOK like Herschel Walker, but they may go for it...

nah I like 14 :)

Thanks for the article. I read it entirely and learned from it. I hope others on here give it the time.

Thanks, I'm glad you took the time to read it. It's kind of a game changer in terms of perception and certainly deserves some thought.

Let's give the guy a break...

Wait, alcohol is a substance that can only be detected if you have been acute drinking. Depending on how much you have consumed, it can even be undetectable hours after drinking. So, knowing that alcohol is a banned substance for him, he decides to show up for a drug test after having been drinking minutes to hours before. That's not happiness, that's arrogance or stupidity.

Wait, alcohol is a substance that can only be detected if you have been acute drinking. Depending on how much you have consumed, it can even be undetectable hours after drinking. So, knowing that alcohol is a banned substance for him, he decides to show up for a drug test after having been drinking minutes to hours before. That's not happiness, that's arrogance or stupidity.

Politely, you're missing the point.

Edit: Completely

Edited by Augie

@TonyGrossi: My understanding is Josh Gordon suspension indefinite with chance to apply for reinstatement on 1 yr. Must pass NFL policy tests to return.

@Jason_OTC: Crazy about Josh Gordon. His contract now will run to 2016 and because of that 1 game pull in week 17 hell be RFA in 2017

Josh someone? Should we sign him?

Sorry if I de-railed things. Obviously, an important topic to me. I feel bad for the knuckle head. Hope he gets it together with his amazing talent. Hope the Browns can rise up as well. They are just a different version of the mistake on the lake. Let us all rise up!

Not saying this is the be all and end all, but something to consider for those who are curious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-real-cause-of-addicti_b_6506936.html

Thanks for sharing this link, Augie. Fascinating and thought provoking. There's another growing group with difficulty establishing and maintaining connections - persons on the autism spectrum. Coincidence or similar effects of modern life? Unfortunate. Tragic with the wrong help or none.

So anyway... The browns suck and now need to probably use their first 2 picks on WRs, neither of which will probably be as good as Sammy when they could have just had Sammy.

To draw some parallels...

It wasnt too long ago that the Bills had a pretty good player who couldnt keep his nose clean, was one more incident away from a lengthy suspension, and who needed (and was demanding) a change in scenery. So Buddy traded Marshawn for whatever they could get for him, and kept the more stable players (Fred and CJ). One of those being a recent draft pick.

Buddy still gets flack for this move, as evidenced by the recent 10 page thread about it. However, here we are saying the Browns would have been smart to have moved the player with issues, and taken the more professional prospect. Instead, the Browns kept their problem-player, and took a CB in the early-1st.

Most of what the Browns have done, especially that last part, sounds like "Same Ol Bills" to me.

@TonyGrossi: My understanding is Josh Gordon suspension indefinite with chance to apply for reinstatement on 1 yr. Must pass NFL policy tests to return.

@Jason_OTC: Crazy about Josh Gordon. His contract now will run to 2016 and because of that 1 game pull in week 17 hell be RFA in 2017

at this rate, we might see a new CBA before that contract expires.

To draw some parallels...

It wasnt too long ago that the Bills had a pretty good player who couldnt keep his nose clean, was one more incident away from a lengthy suspension, and who needed (and was demanding) a change in scenery. So Buddy traded Marshawn for whatever they could get for him, and kept the more stable players (Fred and CJ). One of those being a recent draft pick.

Buddy still gets flack for this move, as evidenced by the recent 10 page thread about it. However, here we are saying the Browns would have been smart to have moved the player with issues, and taken the more professional prospect. Instead, the Browns kept their problem-player, and took a CB in the early-1st.

Most of what the Browns have done, especially that last part, sounds like "Same Ol Bills" to me.

they were trying to trade him when Lombardi and Banner were still there (2 suspensions ago) but couldn't move him for what they wanted. Now his trade value is pretty much zero. I didn't look at the Lynch thread so not sure how close the comparison is but I didn't have an issue with that trade based on the circumstances at the time. I would like to have him on the team now though if he was issue free and playing the same way he is with Seattle!

The Justin Gilbert pick looks terrible at this point not only because he performed poorly when on the field, but he got beaten out by a UDFA, became the team's 4th corner, was inactive for he last game and the Buffalo game for disciplinary issues, and later admitted he didn't work hard and was brutally called out by veteran teammates.

Too early to call him a bust because CB is a tough position to transition to the nfl, but looking at what was there at 9, the fact they traded up to 8 for him in that stacked draft... and then what they gave up at 4... And then took at 22... Oof.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't see the tragic piece. Everyone says pot isn't addictive and your job says you will not smoke it. Period.

It's not tragic he's just an idiot.

noun, plural tragedies.
a dramatic composition, often in verse, dealing with a serious or somber theme, typically that of a great person destined through a flaw of character or conflict with some overpowering force, as fate or society, to downfall or destruction.
The "real" definition of tragic or tragedy is when one does something that ends up hurting themselves. An example would be felling a tree with an axe and having it fall on you and killing you. So, the op's use of tragic fits here.

noun, plural tragedies.
a dramatic composition, often in verse, dealing with a serious or somber theme, typically that of a great person destined through a flaw of character or conflict with some overpowering force, as fate or society, to downfall or destruction.
The "real" definition of tragic or tragedy is when one does something that ends up hurting themselves. An example would be felling a tree with an axe and having it fall on you and killing you. So, the op's use of tragic fits here.

Oh I get the OP's use of tragic, I just don't agree with it, and that's ok because it doesn't have to be agreed upon, to me, tragic is something more catastrophic, not a guy who keeps getting in trouble at his job. Now if it turns out down the road he is an addict then that may change my stance. However right now I see a guy who isn't willing to follow the rules set by his employer and has to deal with the consequences. To me, that's not tragic.