Josh Gordon fails another drug test; 1-yr banishment

YoloinOhio

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except its not weed, its booze, which is much more addictive and destructive. The kid needs help, but if he wont accept it what can ya do but sit back and watch him throw his life away? Tragic.

Without knowing how much booze he had (if it was any amount or a specific set amount) I have a hard time defining it as tragic when someone can't follow rules his employer sets for him. Now if he truly has a drinking problem that changes things a bit, but if he's just an idiot who went to the club and got drunk one night I have zero sympathy. That's not a tragedy its just stupidity.

Without knowing how much booze he had (if it was any amount or a specific set amount) I have a hard time defining it as tragic when someone can't follow rules his employer sets for him. Now if he truly has a drinking problem that changes things a bit, but if he's just an idiot who went to the club and got drunk one night I have zero sympathy. That's not a tragedy its just stupidity.

What is tragic is the inability to make the right decision. A glass of wine is not tragic or stupid. The inablilty to realize what you could lose and process the situation properly is tragic. There are plenty of peple who belong to both MENSA and AA.

What is tragic is the inability to make the right decision. A glass of wine is not tragic or stupid. The inablilty to realize what you could lose and process the situation properly is tragic. There are plenty of peple who belong to both MENSA and AA.

Exactly, thank you.

What a loser. He deserves to not see the field again. Get your act together. All the talent in the world and you waste it. What a shame.

I truly hate people like you.

The context doesnt matter. "No more drugs and alcohol" means no more drugs and alcohol. Its that simple.

This is pretty rich coming from you.

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree bits not tragic to have the inability to make the right decision. It's stupidity that doesn't allow someone to understand what can be lost by not following the rules. Just because they choose not to learn or understand the ramifications of what can happen doesn't make it tragic.

The rule is simple. Don't drink, don't do drugs. He chose to do them. It's a choice. A choice that is simple. Enjoy a few drinks or risk losing millions. Pretty easy damn choice for most people (minus alcoholics or addicts).

He made a choice. He chose wrong. He now needs to deal with the consequences of his choice.

I truly hate people like you.

This is pretty rich coming from you.

Isnt it?! But I havent had the opportunities Gordon and others have had, and am in no worse position today because of the substances I partake of, in a responsible moderation. Im not judging or hating on the kid. I hope he gets help and gets his head on straight. With or without football in it.

Sorry we will have to agree to disagree bits not tragic to have the inability to make the right decision. It's stupidity that doesn't allow someone to understand what can be lost by not following the rules. Just because they choose not to learn or understand the ramifications of what can happen doesn't make it tragic.

The rule is simple. Don't drink, don't do drugs. He chose to do them. It's a choice. A choice that is simple. Enjoy a few drinks or risk losing millions. Pretty easy damn choice for most people (minus alcoholics or addicts).

He made a choice. He chose wrong. He now needs to deal with the consequences of his choice.

I hope you have kids and I hope they serve long prison sentences for non-violent drug offenses.

So if Gordon is an "idiot" rather than a guy who needs help...what does that make Orton? He made no secret about partying. What about Bruce Smith who reportedly was a heavy drug user. Its ok for them because they didn't get caught? They aren't idiots too?

Cris Carter could have been called an idiot too...instead he was a guy who couldn't see his problem until rock bottom. He turned his life around...I wouldnt call him an idiot before or after. Same with Josh Hamilton.

I hope you have kids and I hope they serve long prison sentences for non-violent drug offenses.

Quite an interesting reply. Would you like to share where this came from? I didn't mention a word about prison time at all so I'm curious as to why you're throwing this back at me. All I've said is that this isn't tragic and if the dude made a choice to break a rule he knows can cost him his job and he does it anyway then he needs to deal with the consequences.

Not sure how there is anything wrong with anything I said but please let me know where you disagree.

You allow that alcoholics and addicts aren't making an easy choice; with his long history of drug and alcohol abuse, why don't you consider Josh Gordon an addict or alcoholic rather than stupid? His history suggests he cannot stay away from either drugs or alcohol to the point where he is suffering serious consequences. That is a major indicator of addiction.

Quite an interesting reply. Would you like to share where this came from? I didn't mention a word about prison time at all so I'm curious as to why you're throwing this back at me. All I've said is that this isn't tragic and if the dude made a choice to break a rule he knows can cost him his job and he does it anyway then he needs to deal with the consequences.

Not sure how there is anything wrong with anything I said but please let me know where you disagree.

Because implicit in your assessment is the belief that he who knowingly breaks the rules deserves the consequences regardless of whether said consequences are are proportional to the (im)morality of the violation. I think people with that outlook could benefit from seeing someone they care about suffer severe consequences for breaking a rule that doesn't hurt anyone.

Edit: Also, the kids in prison thing is a bit of hyperbole. My dad's like you and I don't think I deserve to go to prison to fix his outlook.

Edited by Rob's House

You allow that alcoholics and addicts aren't making an easy choice; with his long history of drug and alcohol abuse, why don't you consider Josh Gordon an addict or alcoholic rather than stupid? His history suggests he cannot stay away from either drugs or alcohol to the point where he is suffering serious consequences. That is a major indicator of addiction.

I get your point and didn't really look at it that way. The reason I didn't say anything about him possibly being an addict is because I don't know enough about him to say if he could truly be considered an addict or not. But I definitely can understand your point. My understanding is that it was mainly pot before and now this suspension was due to alchol so I wasn't connecting the two in the sense of him being an addict.

Because implicit in your assessment is the belief that he who knowingly breaks the rules deserves the consequences regardless of whether said consequences are are proportional to the (im)morality of the violation. I think people with that outlook could benefit from seeing someone they care about suffer severe consequences for breaking a rule that doesn't hurt anyone.

What laws that send someone to prison don't have victims? Not being facetious here....

Edit: Also, the kids in prison thing oisa bit of hyperbole. My dad's like you and I don't think I deserve to go to prison to fix his outlook.

I've seen people I care about greatly suffer consequences for things that didn't hurt someone when they happened. My point in relation to Gordon is simple. He was told no drinking no drugs or we will suspend you and you won't play. It's equal to a parent saying to a kid my house my rules. Follow them or get out. Playing in the NFL isn't a right it's a privilege. If he's not willing to follow their rules, why should it matter if the rule hurts anyone or not? It's not a law, it's a condition of employment and he chose to break it. So why shouldnt he have to suffer the consequences? Because you feel that the rule of law doesn't hurt anyone?

The guy growing pot in his closet, for one.

Oh, got ya. I always thought the issue with those cases was "intent to distribute". But it does seem legalization elsewhere makes that particular crime and punishment seem ridiculous.