Josh Gordon fails another drug test; 1-yr banishment

YoloinOhio

That's what I think. For a league so obsessed with their image, they sure make a lot of ridiculous rules and mistakes. That said, they're so successful, it's hard to argue they don't know what they're doing to help themselves, regardless of how much we B word and moan.

I read ur post and part of it intrigued me - the bitching and moaning part. No other professional league in this country has as much criticism from its fanbase as the NFL. It seems like the last decade or so the NFL as an entity is public enemy #1 in the sports world. Yet somehow they just keep getting even more popular. The NFL is idiot proof. Mess up as much as u want and the fans will hate you for it yet want more. Its fascinating.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read ur post and part of it intrigued me - the bitching and moaning part. No other professional league in this country has as much criticism from its fanbase as the NFL. It seems like the last decade or so the NFL as an entity is public enemy #1 in the sports world. Yet somehow they just keep getting even more popular. The NFL is idiot proof. Mess up as much as u want and the fans will hate you for it yet want more. Its fascinating.

I think your average fan enjoys the controversy more than the intricacies of the game

Because they've already gotten in trouble for those activities, and they want to deter the same mistake happening again.

I think you're probably right, but I also think they're foolish for going about it this way. I also think this business of random drug testing is unnecessary and unethical, not just in sports but in most industries as well.

I think you're probably right, but I also think they're foolish for going about it this way. I also think this business of random drug testing is unnecessary and unethical, not just in sports but in most industries as well.

I can understand that. I think the real problem is caused by the advertisers. Anheuser-Busch (and all of the other big names) thinks that the players get in trouble will hurt their brand because they are such prominent sponsors. Thus, to keep their advertising revenue flowing, the NFL cracks down hard, and arguably too hard on just about any high-profile story. Because the sponsors are worried.

It's a fallacy though. The sponsors are worried someone's not going to buy a Bud Light or a pair of UnderArmor shorts because a guy who is very loosely affiliated with their company (arguably to the 4th degree if you think sponsor-NFL-individual team-player) did something bad and it's all over the media? No chance.

Then you have the, "We're pulling out because of our morals," baloney that massive companies like Nike spew as thousands of Thai toddlers are working 12 hour days making their shoes. I won't even dignify that with a response.

The sponsors are stupid and hypocritical, which forces the NFL to agree with and support the sponsors stupidity. As such, I can't really rail against the NFL because what are they gonna do?

Edited by FireChan

I'm still stating this is bull ****. How many beer commercials were there on Sunday? How many millions of dollars were spent on alcohol Sunday?

The policy is bull ****. A DUI is not the same as drinking a few beers/drinks.

I have no idea if Gordon is a horrible person or not but in this case the punishment does not fit the crime.

And not to beat a dead horse, this is the same commissioner that was going to give a two game suspension to a player that actually beat a woman to the point she needed to be dragged from an elevator.

If I was Gordon I would sue.

I'm still stating this is bull ****. How many beer commercials were there on Sunday? How many millions of dollars were spent on alcohol Sunday?

The policy is bull ****. A DUI is not the same as drinking a few beers/drinks.

I have no idea if Gordon is a horrible person or not but in this case the punishment does not fit the crime.

And not to beat a dead horse, this is the same commissioner that was going to give a two game suspension to a player that actually beat a woman to the point she needed to be dragged from an elevator.

If I was Gordon I would sue.

My way of viewing it is that he is not being suspended for alcohol, he is being suspended for being stupid. Only an addict or an idiot would choose to break the same rules over and over again. He says he's not an addict, and if that is to be believed, that means he's stupid. Sucks he can't drink, but it's because he's stupid. He is likely one of small number of players held to this standard, because most people aren't dumb enough to make it this far.

He is being suspended because he was in a program designed to KEEP him IN the league after a serious substance abuse problem. Part of that program for him to STAY in the league mandated that some activities like drinking were not allowed. He violated those conditions.

If he felt they were unfair, he should have spoken to his union during collective bargaining. The players CHOSE to get more money over other things when they went into collective bargaining.