Browns seem done with Johnny Manziel; enters rehab

YoloinOhio

The bizarre obsession with Manziel, and the need to denigrate him by some posters here, is downright strange.

Leave the kid alone.

He has more raw playmaking ability/football IQ than EJ (for example) will ever have.

But EJ just needs a bit more time to develop. LOL

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bizarre obsession with Manziel, and the need to denigrate him by some posters here, is downright strange.

Leave the kid alone.

He has more raw playmaking ability/football IQ than EJ (for example) will ever have.

Maybe in college. As a pro, he looked like one of the worst QBs ever.

Leave the kid alone.

Where are you getting he has more football IQ than EJ? He was dumb enough to believe the BS hype and his problems go deeper than alcohol addiction. His biggest reason for going to rehab was to save face after his pathetic perfomances. Tebow had a monstrous college career as well, how'd that work out?

Edited by buffalo2218

Leave the kid alone.

No. Just no. Over hyped to say the least. His accuracy after 3-5 yards is terrible and he makes terrible decisions to boot. His "raw" ability is pretty much rancid raw. You throw it away and move on because it stinks. BTW, you don't just "leave a kid alone" in the NFL. They're all under scrutiny because they make millions. Man up and realize that.

• 4 months later...

So, with all the talk of our own QB situation, nobody seems to be discussing Manziel. As much as I didn't like him last year he showed some things last night, in my eyes. How do you suppose Cleveland feels about him today. The people in the crowd last night seemed to be pretty excited to see him make some plays and he looked a heck of a lot better, to me, than he did last year. Think he's got franchise potential? Or think he will be a complete bust like so many before him.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this discussion, or if anyone even cares, but, just looking for thoughts from the board on his performance.

So, with all the talk of our own QB situation, nobody seems to be discussing Manziel. As much as I didn't like him last year he showed some things last night, in my eyes. How do you suppose Cleveland feels about him today. The people in the crowd last night seemed to be pretty excited to see him make some plays and he looked a heck of a lot better, to me, than he did last year. Think he's got franchise potential? Or think he will be a complete bust like so many before him.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this discussion, or if anyone even cares, but, just looking for thoughts from the board on his performance.

they think he looks better but it was hard to look any worse. The discussion is whether the Browns who are unlikely to win more than 6-7 games anyway should bother with mccown as starter and just play Manzeil to see if he can develop now that he's off the sauce and actually showing up to work on his own. But Pettine is locked in on mccown because his job is at stake and frankly Manzeil terrifies him.

I predict mccown starts the year but gets hurt and Johnny plays anyway.

I see Maniziel as the next version of Flutie, he'll be highly effective early on, then teams will figure him out....his style of play is not sustainable in the NFL, that pass across his body while on the run was absolutely beautiful, but it's not gonna last in this league.

they think he looks better but it was hard to look any worse. The discussion is whether the Browns who are unlikely to win more than 6-7 games anyway should bother with mccown as starter and just play Manzeil to see if he can develop now that he's off the sauce and actually showing up to work on his own. But Pettine is locked in on mccown because his job is at stake and frankly Manzeil terrifies him.

That's really the problem. I think McCown stinks and I was glad the Bills didn't sign him. And especially on a bad team he stinks worse, which isn't as obvious as it sounds. So to me, there is no reason to even play McCown unless you have possible playoff hopes, which they don't. But if you're the coach, you may play McCown if you're terrified of Manziel like you said. Similar to Saint Doug sticking with Orton to save his job.

The funny thing with that, and Pettine is, he probably has a greater chance of keeping his job playing Manziel, however small that chance is. There is no way IMO that the Browns win this year with McCown. They only way they surprise people is if Johnny Football comes to life. That's a very small chance but better than McCown playing like he did two-thirds of a season on the Bears.

I saw this discussion pop up on the TBD homepage and I thought, "Wow! I thought his last drive was bad, but not that bad. He's already going into rehab? That was quick!" Then I realized this was the old thread...

It's not looking to pretty down in Cleveland. I have to agree with Kelly the Dog. If I was Pettine, I'd go with Johnny. McCown looked like an overmatched rookie out there against our D. Manziel didn't look much better last season, but who knows what kind of trip he was on at the time. To be honest, Manziel reminds me of a cross between Flutie on the field and Marinovich off the field.

It's kinda funny how Pettine has to make a Marone type decision. Do I go with the "safe" older guy or do I gamble on the youngster? Frankly, I think Pettine is a much better head coach that Marone, but we'll see how quickly he gets rehired if the Browns cut him loose. I am impressed that he has relinquished defensive play-calling in order to have a better feel for game management and offensive input. That is the mark of maturity on his part.

I saw this discussion pop up on the TBD homepage and I thought, "Wow! I thought his last drive was bad, but not that bad. He's already going into rehab? That was quick!" Then I realized this was the old thread...

It's not looking to pretty down in Cleveland. I have to agree with Kelly the Dog. If I was Pettine, I'd go with Johnny. McCown looked like an overmatched rookie out there against our D. Manziel didn't look much better last season, but who knows what kind of trip he was on at the time. To be honest, Manziel reminds me of a cross between Flutie on the field and Marinovich off the field.

It's kinda funny how Pettine has to make a Marone type decision. Do I go with the "safe" older guy or do I gamble on the youngster? Frankly, I think Pettine is a much better head coach that Marone, but we'll see how quickly he gets rehired if the Browns cut him loose. I am impressed that he has relinquished defensive play-calling in order to have a better feel for game management and offensive input. That is the mark of maturity on his part.

That's what Rex did for him.

That's what Rex did for him.

Nothing like a good friend, helping you out along the way...

As I watched all the blitzes last night, I thought, "Would the coaches communicate before or during the game in order to manufacture an environment that was helpful for assessing talent?" In other words, could Rex signal to Pettine to pull back on the blitz package since the Guards were giving EJ such a terrible pocket? I know it seems doubtful, but there seems to be potential for that with Pettine and Rex. I'd love to hear what Rex said to Pettine after the game.

Nothing like a good friend, helping you out along the way...

As I watched all the blitzes last night, I thought, "Would the coaches communicate before or during the game in order to manufacture an environment that was helpful for assessing talent?" In other words, could Rex signal to Pettine to pull back on the blitz package since the Guards were giving EJ such a terrible pocket? I know it seems doubtful, but there seems to be potential for that with Pettine and Rex. I'd love to hear what Rex said to Pettine after the game.

I thought just the opposite. Even though they are friends, I thought one of them was thinking, "that motherfukker, if he is going to blitz that much I'm gonna blitz more!"

And then the other one thought the same thing.

I thought just the opposite. Even though they are friends, I thought one of them was thinking, "that motherfukker, if he is going to blitz that much I'm gonna blitz more!"

Yeah, like when you're playing catch with a buddy and he throws a little harder than you'd like. Next thing you know you're both throwing fastballs at eachother as hard as you can :lol:

Pettine doesn't call the defense for the Browns anymore. DC O'Neil does.

Pettine doesn't call the defense for the Browns anymore. DC O'Neil does.

True. Forgot that. But O'Neill was a Rex guy, too, and I would bet anything that ONeill and Pettine would be together on the sidelines discussing the amount of blitzes, versus ONeill dialing all of those up on his own and Pettine just laying back and seeing what this guy will do. It's like Marrone with Hackett last year. Hackett was allegedly calling the plays but the Smith-Gun offense was all Marroone.

Contrary to popular fan opinion, I think there are many cases where playing a guy too early really hurts him, and I think JM is that type of player. Now that he seems to have his head screwed on straight (or at least a little straighter) and actually seems to want to learn the playbook and offense, think the best bet for Cleveland is to let him learn and get his practice reps in. The difference between his first year and what I saw yesterday was night and day. He actually looked like he might be coachable. Don't ruin that by throwing him to the fire on a crappy offense with no choice but to forget everything he learns week to week and just start running around flinging it.

Nobody wants to be patient anymore.

I thought Manziel was going to be a major star in the NFL, but I have to say he looked terrible last night, even on the touchdown drive. He's just not accurate and doesn't seem to have much velocity on his throws. He seems to have lost his confidence and swagger. Sort of like watching Tiger Woods these days.