New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

It would be the most Bellichick-like move of Bellichick's entire career to get rid of Brady a year or two before people expect. I've been saying all season it's going to happen sooner than people think.

My thought is that they are scared to see him go anywhere else, so they are setting him up for a 1 year suspension. Next time he's eligible to play he's what, 39? One can dream anyway

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just your claim that they still have video. No video is safe in NFL hands.

What?

I don't even know what you mean "that they still have video"?

I claimed that if something was going on, there would be video of someone acting suspiciously, either on the field, or on camera inside the stadium. THis was met with claims that it was "absurd", and that security cameras wouldn't even be on 2 hours before the game.

I doubt it's a coincidence that this was leaked while the Patriots are physically en route to the Superbowl. Travelling so they can't make an official response yet.

lmao a Patriots fan just summed their message board up perfectly:

Monday after accusation: "It's a ridiculous witch-hunt!"
Tuesday after 11 of 12 report: "We're f**ked!"
Thursday after BB/Brady pressers: "It's a ridiculous witch-hunt!"
Friday after NFL's presser: "We're f**ked!"
Saturday after BB's explanation: "It's a ridiculous witch-hunt!"
After Bill Nye's rebuttal: "We're f**ked!"
After twitter and Vegas report the conspiracy angle: "It's a ridiculous witch-hunt!"
After Glazer's report of ball attendant: "We're f**ked!"

Here's my theory on how this went down:

1. League figures out what happened; tells Patriots to come clean and apologize and the penalty will be less.

2. Belichick holds PC, says he knows nothing, ask Tommy.

3. Tommy holds PC, says he doesn't know anything either.

4. League calls Patriots, says obviously you didn't hear us the first time; we'll give you one more chance.

5. Belichick holds second PC, spins wild scientific theory out of pure horseshit, basically dares league to show its hand.

6. We just saw the first card.

this makes sense if the person of interest on the video is Bill Belkichick's son Steve who is the lead locker room attendant.

Yeah, you did. I just looked.

Post it.

MattM, on 22 Jan 2015 - 7:20 PM, said:snapback.png

Except that the pressure is checked 2 hrs, 15 mins before kickoff and turn given to the respective teams. Two points:

1. There are no cameras rolling (or even people in the stadium) then

My response...."I also mentioned that if it happened within the stadium (as opposed to the field area), there would be cameras showing activity where the balls are kept, and I definitely believe that security cameras are on by that time. If the officials are there, security cameras would be on. They are probably on 24/7. Even if they only show who enters the room where they are kept, it would at least narrow it down to those people.

I never claimed that there wasn't enough time between when the officials test the balls and the game, to deflate them. I responded to the assertion that "it would only take a second" to accurately, and consistently deflate the balls during the game that quickly, and without there being some questioning of his motions at some point. There are tons of cameras on the field filming cheerleaders, the bench, the coaches, the HoF ex-players on the sidelines. Someone would have caught suspicious footage of a ballboy to bring forward."

Edited by HoF Watkins

Post it.

MattM, on 22 Jan 2015 - 7:20 PM, said:snapback.png

My response...."I also mentioned that if it happened within the stadium (as opposed to the field area), there would be cameras showing activity where the balls are kept, and I definitely believe that security cameras are on by that time. If the officials are there, security cameras would be on. They are probably on 24/7. Even if they only show who enters the room where they are kept, it would at least narrow it down to those people.

I never claimed that there wasn't enough time between when the officials test the balls and the game, to deflate them. I responded to the assertion that "it would only take a second" to accurately, and consistently deflate the balls during the game that quickly, and without there being some questioning of his motions at some point. There are tons of cameras on the field filming cheerleaders, the bench, the coaches, the HoF ex-players on the sidelines. Someone would have caught suspicious footage of a ballboy to bring forward."

Which is what happened and is happening, and the NFL is using that in their investigation.

I don't need the league to make an official statement to consider it settled. There's a reason they put out leaks. We already know 11 of the balls were underinflated and that at least 1 was by 2 lbs. of pressure.

Really, because almost all the leaks have been proven false. But you want to rely on leaks?

D'Qwell stating the ball felt funny and reported it. FALSE, he wanted a souvenir and said nothing seemed weird about the ball.

Ravens tipped the NFL and Colts off and complained about the balls. FALSE, Harbaugh publicly addressed it and said they at no time have ever questioned the footballs, their condition or air pressure.

11 of 12 Footballs being 2 PSI off...report now states it was one football and the others were slightly off...neither story confirmed, but both contradict each other.

All these stupid reports from anonymous sources to sell news stories is getting old...when these reports start proving to be true, then you have something to go on. So far, none have been proven true, several proven false, and no one really knows anything because the NFL hasn't said anything.

Which is what happened and is happening, and the NFL is using that in their investigation.

Yeah, I have always assumed that they have let the air out. I just don't think it's a big deal, and that it is common for QB's to have their balls altered, and that in the grand scheme of cheating this is being blown out of proportion.

When I mentioned that there would be video footage, it was called "absurd".

Except that your claim was that there was no evidence of wrong doing because they had no video. Which was absurd.

I NEVER claimed that. Never. Just read what I posted, it's NOT the same thing.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Yeah, I have always assumed that they have let the air out. I just don't think it's a big deal, and that it is common for QB's to have their balls altered, and that in the grand scheme of cheating this is being blown out of proportion.

When I mentioned that there would be video footage, it was called "absurd".

I NEVER claimed that. Never. Just read what I posted, it's NOT the same thing.

So, you are onto the "everyone else does it, too" defense even though there's never been evidence that ANYONE else, much less EVERYONE else does this Absolutely priceless comedy gold.....

Even funnier because your main defense was there was no proof that the Pats* do this (and now there is), while there's absolutely zero proof (circumstantial even) that anyone else has done this.

Edited by MattM

So, you are onto the "everyone else does it, too" defense even though there's never been evidence that ANYONE else, much less EVERYONE else does this Absolutely priceless comedy gold.....

Even funnier because your main defense was there was no proof that the Pats* do this (and now there is), while there's absolutely zero proof (circumstantial even) that anyone else has done this.

Again, I make a point, and you don't acknowledge it, but instead divert.

Can you at least admit "I was wrong. It wasn't an absurd notion to suggest that there would be video footage"?

The rest of your attack, I have already answered elsewhere.

You are much better at crafting insults, than presenting reasonable arguments.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Can you fill me in on where there is now proof? Have you seen a video? Has a video been confirmed to exist? A leaked rumor isn't a fact...its a rumor, and considering the lack of credibility in all of the other rumors, maybe its best to wait until something is actually confirmed.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Minus the Green Bay and usc incidents discussed in this thread. Or Matt lienart

Again, I make a point, and you don't acknowledge it, but instead divert.

Can you at least admit "I was wrong. It wasn't an absurd notion to suggest that there would be video footage"?

The rest of your attack, I have already answered elsewhere.

You are much better at crafting insults, than presenting reasonable arguments.

You're a peach, I'll give you that.

My bad on the cameras--I was thinking TV, not security, but boy am I glad that they existed and were on. We might actually get some justice here for a change with these Cheats*, unless of course Roger pulls his usual with his favorite team/owner and destroys the evidence and says once again "move along. Nothing to see here".

BTW, you keep accusing me of changing the subject, but as anyone who can read can see, I'm addressing points you've made right in what I've quoted. You keep changing your defenses as they fall, one after another. I suspect (but as Alphadawg says, we don't for sure yet know) when this is all said and done, you'll have none left.

Can you fill me in on where there is now proof? Have you seen a video? Has a video been confirmed to exist? A leaked rumor isn't a fact...its a rumor, and considering the lack of credibility in all of the other rumors, maybe its best to wait until something is actually confirmed.

With the sources they have,

I suspect that when folks like Glazer and Peter King (see his Friday article on this) speak as authoritatively as they are here, there is plenty of fire with that smoke, but we'll see eventually.

I think that the "Patriots don't get sacked much" devil's advocate argument for the reason that they have an extremely low fumble percentage is fair.....so I thought I would crunch some numbers and see what happens....

Below are Tom Brady's and Matt Cassel's numbers through their careers.

I have decided to use the combined sack and rush numbers as those were the plays where the QB theoretically has to hold onto the ball.

Source:

NFL.com player stats Cassel(http://www.nfl.com/p...562/careerstats)

NFL.com player stats Brady(http://www.nfl.com/p...211/careerstats)

Matt Cassel fumble rates with Patriots(2007+2008):

124 plays

8 fumbles (1 in 15.5)

4 fumbles lost (1 in 31)

Matt Cassel fumble rates pre-2007 with Patriots and post Patriots(2009+)

305 plays

40 fumbles (1 in 7.6)

15 fumbles lost (1 in 20.3)

Tom Brady fumble rates 2007+

413 plays

36 fumbles (1 in 11.5)

15 fumbles lost (1 in 27.5)

Tom Brady fumble rate pre-2007

421 plays

59 fumbles (1 in 7.1)

25 fumbles lost (1 in 16.9)

It looks like there is a clear reduction in the fumble rate for the Patriots QBs after the 2006 season.

I think that the "Patriots don't get sacked much" devil's advocate argument for the reason that they have an extremely low fumble percentage is fair.....so I thought I would crunch some numbers and see what happens....

Below are Tom Brady's and Matt Cassel's numbers through their careers.

I have decided to use the combined sack and rush numbers as those were the plays where the QB theoretically has to hold onto the ball.

Source:

NFL.com player stats Cassel(http://www.nfl.com/p...562/careerstats)

NFL.com player stats Brady(http://www.nfl.com/p...211/careerstats)

Matt Cassel fumble rates with Patriots(2007+2008):

124 plays

8 fumbles (1 in 15.5)

4 fumbles lost (1 in 31)

Matt Cassel fumble rates pre-2007 with Patriots and post Patriots(2009+)

305 plays

40 fumbles (1 in 7.6)

15 fumbles lost (1 in 20.3)

Tom Brady fumble rates 2007+

413 plays

36 fumbles (1 in 11.5)

15 fumbles lost (1 in 27.5)

Tom Brady fumble rate pre-2007

421 plays

59 fumbles (1 in 7.1)

25 fumbles lost (1 in 16.9)

It looks like there is a clear reduction in the fumble rate for the Patriots QBs after the 2006 season.

A way back in here I posted a chart from advanced NFL stats that showed this exact thing against the league average

You're a peach, I'll give you that.

My bad on the cameras--I was thinking TV, not security, but boy am I glad that they existed and were on. We might actually get some justice here for a change with these Cheats*, unless of course Roger pulls his usual with his favorite team/owner and destroys the evidence and says once again "move along. Nothing to see here".

BTW, you keep accusing me of changing the subject, but as anyone who can read can see, I'm addressing points you've made right in what I've quoted. You keep changing your defenses as they fall, one after another. I suspect (but as Alphadawg says, we don't for sure yet know) when this is all said and done, you'll have none left.

I have lost track of who, and how many different people, have misquoted me, or seemingly intentionally misrepresented my posts. How many were you, I don't know.

My opinion that it is common, and that it this being blown out of proportion, will not change.

Edited by HoF Watkins

It doesn't matter whether they can prove it or not. I love it.

I live in Boston. Along with spygate, I now have another reason to disqualify every single Patriot victory over the Bills.

According to me, they've never beat the Bills without cheating.

Edited by BillsLux