New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Thrive for 5. Bending the rules is cheating - plain and simple. The Cheatriots are repeated offenders. Only Roger Goodell know what was on the destroyed tapes from (7?) years ago

Win or lose, Patriots have sacrificed their legacy - The Boston Globe

http://www.bostonglo...MtwO/story.html

I actually don't care if the league does absolutely nothing or even if the Patriots go on the win the bowl AS LONG AS this scandal is finally the one, when combined with everything else, that forever taints the legacy of Bellichick and Brady. If 30 years from now people talk about those two as being embroiled in huge cheating scandals, I'll be a happy man.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are lawyering very well. No, he doesn't say they used a gauge but he is very certain that the balls were "at the prescribed pressure level ...". How else to get that judgment without a gauge? To think that they moved to replace those balls without a gauge defies logic. You said earlier that you would be surprised if they actually had a gauge, and now presented with evidence that they had one, you grasp at the possibility that they had it but didn't use it?

Honestly, I can see no reason to question the conclusion that they cheated. And how is this shilling for the league when we don't know what judgment or punishment the league is going to announce?

kj

I have a metered pressure gauge nearly at my fingertips. They aren't exactly as rare as hen's teeth...

Boy things must be red hot in New England*

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio today and a woman from NE* called and she was going ballistic. You could just hear the pure rage and raw emotion in her voice as she basically screamed at the hosts.

On the one hand, I get it. Your team is in the SB and you can't even enjoy the ride because it's all about how they are cheaters.

But they are cheaters. It sucks, but that's the price to pay for rooting for cheaters.

In the end, this woman will be happy because I guarantee the Patriots* win this game. They are all stewing and red hot with rage and indignation, just waiting for someone to take it out on.

Seattle is in for a serious Gronking.

It doesn't matter who specifically did it. It could only have been done by a Patriot staffer. All we need to know: the balls were tampered with, against the rules. And it could only have been done by a Patriots employee.

The organization must be punished.

kj

I know that.. I was just trying to be partial

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12211433/super-bowl-xlix-game-balls-maintained-impartial-equipment-manager

As per its custom, the NFL will follow a modified set of procedures to prepare game balls for Super Bowl XLIX. Established long before allegations of underinflated balls in the AFC Championship Game, the process includes independent equipment managers and ball attendants.

Bears equipment manager in charge

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I actually don't care if the league does absolutely nothing or even if the Patriots go on the win the bowl AS LONG AS this scandal is finally the one, when combined with everything else, that forever taints the legacy of Bellichick and Brady. If 30 years from now people talk about those two as being embroiled in huge cheating scandals, I'll be a happy man.

the main reason I am a Patriots* hater is that they were always dubbed the "greatest team of all time" as they beat the Panthers, Rams, and Eagles by a FG.

Meanwhile, teams like Dallas and the 49ers demolished their opponents and had teams full of Hall of Famers. But of course, those teams were not as good as New England*

Brady was always better than Montana, even though Montana has 4 rings and was 4-0 in the SB while Brady has 3 and is 3-2 (soon to be 4-2).

It's that, mostly. The GOAT crap.

Now it's also that they are cheaters.

I know that.. I was just trying to be partial

I didn't mean to direct that harsh tone at you. I apologize. I do want to raise the point that it really doesn't matter if the league can tie it to any specific member of the organization. The organization needs to police itself, and has shown repeatedly that it can't.

kj

the sweetest part about that.... Its the Boston Globe (Paper) saying they are Tainted*

I was listening to Sirius NFL radio today and a woman from NE* called and she was going ballistic. You could just hear the pure rage and raw emotion in her voice as she basically screamed at the hosts.

On the one hand, I get it. Your team is in the SB and you can't even enjoy the ride because it's all about how they are cheaters.

But they are cheaters. It sucks, but that's the price to pay for rooting for cheaters.

In the end, this woman will be happy because I guarantee the Patriots* win this game. They are all stewing and red hot with rage and indignation, just waiting for someone to take it out on.

quite the opposite they are going to be beat down mentally and are going to get their asses handed to them because they are cheaters.

they are going to be beat up and down for the next 2 weeks, no escaping it

I didn't mean to direct that harsh tone at you. I apologize. I do want to raise the point that it really doesn't matter if the league can tie it to any specific member of the organization. The organization needs to police itself, and has shown repeatedly that it can't.

kj

not a problem.. It wasn't harsh. I often don't convey my point clearly so I wanted to clarify' :beer:

You are lawyering very well. No, he doesn't say they used a gauge but he is very certain that the balls were "at the prescribed pressure level ...". How else to get that judgment without a gauge? To think that they moved to replace those balls without a gauge defies logic. You said earlier that you would be surprised if they actually had a gauge, and now presented with evidence that they had one, you grasp at the possibility that they had it but didn't use it?

Honestly, I can see no reason to question the conclusion that they cheated. And how is this shilling for the league when we don't know what judgment or punishment the league is going to announce?

kj

Thanks for providing King's article as I hadn't seen it. I agree that King inexplicably does not state that the footballs were checked with a gauge prior to the game like he does for checks at halftime and after the game. Its a weakness in the argument. However, since King seems to be putting his own reputation on the line making such certain conclusions and he has exceptional access, I'm inclined to go with him for now.

So the issue is distracting Pats fans? I hope it's distracting the players too. There's a downside to "riding the line."

kj

I never said that they didn't cheat. I'm just pointing out that there's another entity in full CYA mode - the league. Presumably the Pats have been using this type of ball for years. It was never noticed until now? As for what I meant by shilling: the league would look bad if it came out that they were careless about this issue and consistently did a half-assed job (if any job at all) of measuring with a gauge. My point was that I'm suspicious that they treat the issue with any seriousness and hence don't actually measure them with any precision even if the gauge is available. They will do that now, of course.

I admit to some bias about King. He was one of the many well-connected NFL reporters/columnists who refused to cover the concussion crisis until Alan Schwartz finally reported on it for the Times. The issue was known for a while before Schwartz finally broke it in a big way, and the people involved said that Schwartz (a baseball writer) was the first to not turn down writing about it for fear of losing his connections with the league, which desperately wanted to sweep it under the rug.

Just remember who is buttering King's bread when you read his stuff. He's a league guy through and through. That's why he has the connections and clout that he has.

Edited by dave mcbride

IMO It's going to be a blowout Superbowl win for the Seahawks whether it's Brady or Garropalo playing QB for the Patriots.

This is the biggest distraction ever in a Superbowl and the Pats are a one man team going against a very nasty defense on a team which happens to be defending champions who are getting no publicity at all in this Superbowl. Think Carroll won't use that as a motivational tool? He's going to tell them that Brady has stolen endorsement money from you and your family because of this. Stolen post-football opportunities from them. As far as Gronk goes, the Seahawks know how to bait you in the secondary and they will be able to fool Brady into thinking he's open and grab a couple of interceptions.