Smooooooooooooth.

These guys (Ryan, Pegula, Brandon, Whaley) are coming across as smooth, well-spoken, and real. Yeah, Ryan is saying the things you want to hear from a new head coach, but they are not bumbling and stumbling through the Q&A.

I'm sure that we'll see Ryan's "larger than life" persona as the season gets closer and the questions get tougher, but right now, he strikes me as a well-put-together, reasonably-articulate guy. Certainly an upgrade from St. Doug.

Sully tried to pin him with a question about him being a not-so-good game manager, and he replied that its the one thing that they always say about a coach when they're on the way out of town. He said that he can be better with all aspects of his coaching and that he will improve.

On his first 24 hours in Buffalo and his trip to the Big Tree: "The beer was cold."

Edited by Rivermont Mike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These guys (Ryan, Pegula, Brandon, Whaley) are coming across as smooth, well-spoken, and real. Yeah, Ryan is saying the things you want to hear from a new head coach, but they are not bumbling and stumbling through the Q&A.

I'm sure that we'll see Ryan's "larger than life" persona as the season gets closer and the questions get tougher, but right now, he strikes me as a well-put-together, reasonably-articulate guy. Certainly an upgrade from St. Doug.

Sully tried to pin him with a question about him being a not-so-good game manager, and he replied that its the one thing that they always say about a coach when they're on the way out of town. He said that he can be better with all aspects of his coaching and that he will improve.

On his first 24 hours in Buffalo and his trip to the Big Tree: "The beer was cold."

It takes a real douce to make that your first question of a new HC like Sullivan did. Terry is not the smoothest public speaker. He does come across as honest and genuine though.

It takes a real douce to make that your first question of a new HC like Sullivan did. Terry is not the smoothest public speaker. He does come across as honest and genuine though.

They all did, really. That was one of the more relaxed press conferences I've seen from OBD in quite a while.

Edit: except for Whaley, who always looks like someone's holding a straight razor up his nose and daring him to move.

Edited by DC Tom

they were really laying into Rex. the one guy from the NY Post saying the Bills were getting a mediocre coach, sully's question, etc. i don't remember a press conference to announce a coach ever going in that direction before. they certainly didn't ask Gailey or Marrone about them being mediocre coaches. for as open and entertaining and honest Rex is with the media, he seems to take a lot more shots than other guys it seems

they were really laying into Rex. the one guy from the NY Post saying the Bills were getting a mediocre coach, sully's question, etc. i don't remember a press conference to announce a coach ever going in that direction before. they certainly didn't ask Gailey or Marrone about them being mediocre coaches. for as open and entertaining and honest Rex is with the media, he seems to take a lot more shots than other guys it seems

Handles them well, though.

After years of dealing with the NY media, he must have found that press conference a cake walk. Probably thinking "Jerry Sullivan? That's the worst this town can do? Really?"

Remember the thread about differences between NY and Buffalo media?

They all did, really. That was one of the more relaxed press conferences I've seen from OBD in quite a while.

Edit: except for Whaley, who always looks like someone's holding a straight razor up his nose and daring him to move.

He was the happiest guy in the room when that press conference ended.

Terry is the antithesis of smooth. Now that this press conference is out of the way...I hope we don't have to hear T-Peg speak until he puts a shovel in the ground on a new stadium. I love the man,,,but he's a terrible public speaker.

Terry is the antithesis of smooth. Now that this press conference is out of the way...I hope we don't have to hear T-Peg speak until he puts a shovel in the ground on a new stadium. I love the man,,,but he's a terrible public speaker.

He's definitely not used to being in the forefront. Strikes me as the sort who'd rather lead from behind and let others get the public adulation.

You may not think he is "smooth" - but he is certainly genuine. He also loves the same city and teams I love. I do not need him to deliver the Gettysburg Address.*

*Trivia: Lincoln's speech that day was not generally well received at the time. The substance lives on.

After years of dealing with the NY media, he must have found that press conference a cake walk. Probably thinking "Jerry Sullivan? That's the worst this town can do? Really?"

Indeed. That was not a "tough" PC in any way.

The WNY media is soft and they go along to get along.

Questions like "Are you anxious to beat the Jets next season?" are not "tough questions".

Jerry Sullivan definitely has a chip on his soldier, and he thinks his job is to make people squirm a little bit. OK...that's how he rolls.

I find the hatred of the guy on this forum laughable.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Jerry Sullivan is Triple A compared to the NY media.

He is kind of stiff. What did you think about him making a point to say that he believes in competition at every position when Rex was asked a ? about EJ? Seemed that Doug went out of his way to make that point. Maybe a not so subtle shot at Doug II?

Questions like "Are you anxious to beat the Jets next season?" are not "tough questions".

Jerry Sullivan definitely has a chip on his soldier, and he thinks his job is to make people squirm a little bit. OK...that's how he rolls.

Sorry, Mrs. Sullivan. We don't mean to offend your son. He brings it upon himself.

You may not think he is "smooth" - but he is certainly genuine. He also loves the same city and teams I love. I do not need him to deliver the Gettysburg Address.*

*Trivia: Lincoln's speech that day was not generally well received at the time. The substance lives on.

I love Terry Pegula as the owner of the Sabres and Bills.

I think his interests and mine correspond nicely.

He is a horrible speaker, however, a P/R Manager's worst nightmare, and he comes across as moderately intelligent at best.

Is he genuine and down to earth? I would say most definitely.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Jerry Sullivan is Triple A compared to the NY media.

So Jerry is "minor league" when he asks tough questions or tries to make a subject squirm a bit...but when the NYC media does the same thing, only better, they are major league.

OK, got it.

Pegula is awesome. His awkwardness and shyness show thru and remind you he is humble.

He was the happiest guy in the room when that press conference ended.

he was doing some poses for the camera with the ball. Loved it.

Though, I do worry that we always have four or five guys in these pictures. Most teams just do the owner, gm and coach.

I don't hate Jerry, I honestly enjoy reading his columns and most of the time agree with him. For 15 years I have watched many on this board get ruffled feathers when the Bills are criticized, however, the bottom line is 15 years of failure. The hatred for Sullivan is actually one the highlights of this board, quite amusing though irrational.