Smooooooooooooth.

"Normal chain of command" isn't necessarily all that normal. It's what we're used to seeing, because Wilson delegated quite a bit of executive responsibility to Brandon and Overdork (he had to, as his health was failing), so it was a more linear organization.

In this case, it could be that the Pegulas want the authority more distributed and a more collaborative team - president, GM, and coach are roughly equals, responsible for their own aspects of managing the franchise (business, player personnel, and play, respectively), but each "reports" to the Pegulas. As such, the Pegulas act less as authority and more as coordinators for the team. It can work well...IF you have the right people for the team, who can get along and not be acrimonious when conflicts arise (which they will).

But I'm just guessing - the only evidence I have is how many candidates they interviewed, which indicates quite a bit of effort to find the "right" fit for the management team (and some very thin anecdotal evidence of the Sabres being run in similar fashion.) It could just be that it was a condition of Ryan's coming on board, and they REALLY wanted Ryan, and no one thought it through completely.

Interesting, thanks. So Whaley reports directly to Pegula as well then? Is this the norm across NFL teams and for that matter other sports like hockey? Ted Nolan reports to Pegula do you know?

I understand that Whaley would not fire the HC without talking it over with both Brandon and Pegula even if he had the power. But it just seems weird to me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting, thanks. So Whaley reports directly to Pegula as well then? Is this the norm across NFL teams and for that matter other sports like hockey? Ted Nolan reports to Pegula do you know?

I understand that Whaley would not fire the HC without talking it over with both Brandon and Pegula even if he had the power. But it just seems weird to me.

Really, I was just spitballing. Based on what I've heard, I think Ryan, Whaley, and Brandon all report directly to Pegula. I could have misheard. But from an organizational perspective...if they all do, it's workable, and not even that unusual (though it does tends to confuse people because it's non-linear). It could also blow up in everyone's face...but then, so can a linear organization.

I honestly don't know if Nolan reports directly to Pegula. Like I said, it's based on very thin and anecdotal evidence, but I suspect responsibility is distributed, and decisions collaborative, in the Sabres organization under Pegula.

Really, I was just spitballing. Based on what I've heard, I think Ryan, Whaley, and Brandon all report directly to Pegula. I could have misheard. But from an organizational perspective...if they all do, it's workable, and not even that unusual (though it does tends to confuse people because it's non-linear). It could also blow up in everyone's face...but then, so can a linear organization.

I honestly don't know if Nolan reports directly to Pegula. Like I said, it's based on very thin and anecdotal evidence, but I suspect responsibility is distributed, and decisions collaborative, in the Sabres organization under Pegula.

Yeah it's the non-linearity of it that is off for me. I suppose if an owner wanted more direct involvement having all 3 entities report directly to him is a good way to accomplish it.

It takes a real douce to make that your first question of a new HC like Sullivan did. Terry is not the smoothest public speaker. He does come across as honest and genuine though.

I didn't think I could hate Sullivan more than I did. The guy just got here, and he's already trying to find the negative angle. Seriously, when did beenig an assh0le become good journalism?

I don't hate Jerry, I honestly enjoy reading his columns and most of the time agree with him. For 15 years I have watched many on this board get ruffled feathers when the Bills are criticized, however, the bottom line is 15 years of failure. The hatred for Sullivan is actually one the highlights of this board, quite amusing though irrational.

Really? You agree with that no talent assclown? What he does goes beyond objective criticism. He seeks out a negative angle. That, my friend, is crappy journalism. It is what you are taught NOT to do in journalism school. If you've got a guy that tries to find a negative angle before a guy has even set up his office, there is a problem.

Reconsider your Sullivan worship. He's a prick, and his articles are worthless.

Rex is most definitely an articulate guy. He's a man's man, and is loyal (almost to a fault) to his players. Your issues with him won't ever be about him as a person because he's a great guy, and someone you'd certainly love to have at a party, it grab a beer with.

But his deficiencies as a head coach will become apparent to you rather quickly once the season starts.

T. Pegula is a surprisingly poor public speaker. I still like the guy but I'd never pay to hear him speak.

Rex, on the other hand, had me pumped up. He's not actually a polished speaker either, but he comes across as genuine, knowledgeable, passionate, and driven to win.

I loved the "Lookie, Lookie, Here Comes Cookie" line. He knows his Bills history.

Terry said that Russ, Doug, and Rex will report directly to him and Kim.

Russ also made it pretty clear that he is business side only.

It's typical in the business world. Dept. heads each with his own responsibilities with a CEO type at the top.

Is it possible we are confusing "reports to" with "is accountable to?"

I cant see all 3 of them constantly picking up the phone to call Terry for approvals. Or to clarify something.

I mean, it could actually be as they say. Co-equal branches of govt. But it probably just means that none can fire the other.

But truly, its kinda dumb to have the head coach "report to" the owner.

( On reflection, I think that what bothers me it the feeling that Whaley is being marginalized or emasculated. Kind of like saying "you're not a real GM yet Doug, but you're on your way")

Edited by maddenboy

Sullivan really has outlived his purpose at the Buffalo News. He has a television show that he does with Bucky Gleason. I set the DVR to record it - figured it would be a good cop/bad cop kinda format.

I was wrong, it was bad cop/worse cop. They both sat there looking like professional lemon tasters. Neither one ever cracked so much as the hint of a smile. They criticized everyone and everything with a holier than thou attitude and offered nothing but conjecture on every topic.

I quickly deleted it from the DVR series manager.