Cowboys reportedly offer DeMarco Murray 4yr/$16mill

YoloinOhio

Jerry will make a play for Adrian Peterson. And if that fails (or perhaps even if it succeeds), I've always suspected that Jerry covets CJ Spiller, so I expect that might materialize as well.

Someone will overpay Murray - he's had one good, injury-free year but can't be counted on long-term.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Murray will be 27 in Feb and has been a featured back for 4 years now (multiple games going back to 2011 with over 30 carries).

Unfortunately, I don't think he has 3 or 4 good seasons left in him to warrant anymore than $4MM/yr.

If he's smart, he'll go elsewhere and try and get as much upfront as possible.

Perhaps. The RB position is still devalued, and I still don't see anything changing that.

Right, and that's why we are discussing his value at a much lower number than a WR or corner or.... most other positions. I think teams have gotten a bit carried away proving how much they don't value rb and it has created some nice chances to score a deal.

That is very insulting, that team does not have the record they achieved this year without that guy who going into his prime years.I could see if he was 29-30 and slowing down, I would sign him here for 6-7 MILL and then cut or trade remaining running backs (not one got more then 71 yards in a game) we have on our roster.We do not have a great QB and you need a above average talent at the running back position.

Edited by Niagara Dude

Here's why the offer is what it is:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurrDe00.htm

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ipad&p=jamaal+lewis+stats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh04.htm

Compare the trajectory of Murray (the first link here) with these other two recent backs who had dominant seasons. Basically, the smart money is on Murray having nowhere to go but down. His stats were inflated by a great offensive line this year too.

Here's why the offer is what it is:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurrDe00.htm

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ipad&p=jamaal+lewis+stats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh04.htm

Compare the trajectory of Murray (the first link here) with these other two recent backs who had dominant seasons. Basically, the smart money is on Murray having nowhere to go but down. His stats were inflated by a great offensive line this year too.

A dominant OL and ground and pound may be the Ryan-Roman strategy anyway. I think Ryan was onboard when the Jets invested high draft picks on the OL. I can see their strategy to include letting Spiller go and signing Murray along with a one or two pulling guards. His fumbles concern me though ...

Everyone says it's a "passing league."

Just how much of a passing league will it be in a few years when Manning, Brady and Brees retire? Among them is a guy who owned the single season TD record, the guy who beat it and is the current record holder, and the only guy to have ever thrown for 5,000 yards more than once. Oh, and that last guy was, until recently, the record holder for yards in a season, which was beaten by Guy #2.

Elites left: Rogers... ????

Next tier: Luck, Rivers, Roethlisburger, Wilson (Romo? Flacco?)

QBs who looked bad/sad this year: Newton, Dalton, Kaepernick, Ryan, Bradford, E. Manning, Stafford, Cutler

Those not worth mentioning: The rest

Take away those three sure-fire future HOFers and look at the remainder of the list. After they're gone, RBs like Murray will be in high demand again. Jerry Jones, as usual, is short-sighted.

I am showing my age here but I recall the exact same thing was said years ago about Kelly, Montana, Elway, Marino, Young, Moon etc. There was indeed a couple of years where the NFL was light on star QBs, but low and behold new stars arose to fill the void. Edited by Dibs

No one who is smart anyway.

CJ Spiller shouldn't get more than $1MM/year, plus some incentives.

and someone would get a STEAL when compared to other guys that are explosive on special teams, and can score all over the field.

part of seattle building the team they did was finding devalued positions and becoming ELITE at them. they got marshawn, the safeties, the style of pash rusher they targeted was not the prototype (and of course getting real lucky in the draft at the high dollar QB and CB positions).

I wouldn't offer him any more than that...he's coming off of a year of very heavy usage, and RB is a rather fungible position in this league.

Further, there are plenty of high quality backs that will be FAs this off-season; they can easily add another body to go alongside Joe Randle and move on without missing much IMO.

Right, and that's why we are discussing his value at a much lower number than a WR or corner or.... most other positions. I think teams have gotten a bit carried away proving how much they don't value rb and it has created some nice chances to score a deal.

You don't get paid for what you've done. It's for what you're going to do.

Backs have a short shelf life and they age rapidly. Shaun Alexander is a perfect example of a guy who got huge money and then fell off the face of the earth. He had his best season at 28 and then dropped precipitously. Alexander's 2005 season is a lot similar to Murray's 2014: 370+ carries, 1800+ yards and the next year they did not produce half the season after. I'll grant that Murray has less miles on his tires, but he's also been banged up in recent years as well.

And both Seattle of 2005 and Dallas 2014 had good OL's.

The Dallas OL makes it possible

He still has talent to break tackles and make guys miss our current group does not bring this to the table.Too slow and how many big plays did we get from the running back spot?Fred Jackson is due to make 3million plus and his days of making big plays are gone, you need a feature running back that can make you plays.

Why not Adrian Peterson for 3 years for 21 Million, 10 upfront....if that's the market , an older player should get less, unless its peterson, assuming he is cut. imagine Peterson in Roman's Offense.

1) Bills should get Peterson

2) Bills should get Ray Rice

3) Bills should get Frank Gore (since SF has about 8 RBs behind him).

In all scenarios, CJ should be gone. Maybe in trade to the aforementioned teams.

You don't get paid for what you've done. It's for what you're going to do.

Backs have a short shelf life and they age rapidly. Shaun Alexander is a perfect example of a guy who got huge money and then fell off the face of the earth. He had his best season at 28 and then dropped precipitously. Alexander's 2005 season is a lot similar to Murray's 2014: 370+ carries, 1800+ yards and the next year they did not produce half the season after. I'll grant that Murray has less miles on his tires, but he's also been banged up in recent years as well.

And both Seattle of 2005 and Dallas 2014 had good OL's.

i very much understand this. what im saying is that i think a good back, even at the top of the hill and nearing decline will contribute more than the 20th best guard, or a vet 3rd WR, or the 14th best RT or matt moore/chad henne..... when comparing him to 4m per year offensive players. i also think with the pay grade gaps getting smaller for RB the "upgrade" cost for the talent is getting very small outside of the top 2-3 and teams are crazy not to get someone they LOVE for the job and instead paying huge premiums to upgrade guard for 2-3 less pressures an 1-2 extra holes to hit a month.

theres devaluation, and theres a chance that RBs are undervalued compared to what they contribute and i think we are edging towards that line pretty quickly.

Edited by NoSaint