Reported: Schwartz will be leaving the Bills

Uffalo Ills

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So like 80% of you honestly believe that Rex Ryan is going to come here and the defense is somehow going to regress?

Do you people actually watch football?

The defense will be FINE. Settle down folks!

Well I can understand the concern over more upheaval, especially with the part of the team that wasn't broken, the defense. It's also mildly concerning if the team switches to a 3-4 since Mario had clearly said in the past he dislikes that scheme and doesn't perform well in it.

Any idea what happens with special teams?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Well I can understand the concern over more upheaval, especially with the part of the team that wasn't broken, the defense. It's also mildly concerning if the team switches to a 3-4 since Mario had clearly said in the past he dislikes that scheme and doesn't perform well in it.

Mario will be fine because in Rex's D he'll get his sacks whether he starts off in a 2, 3, or 4 pt stance. Call him a DE or a LB, it won't matter. No one has ever accused Rex of not recognizing or making the best use of his defensive talent. (Now, the offense is a different story ....)

Mario will be fine because in Rex's D he'll get his sacks whether he starts off in a 2, 3, or 4 pt stance. Call him a DE or a LB, it won't matter. No one has ever accused Rex of not recognizing or making the best use of his defensive talent. (Now, the offense is a different story ....)

Agreed. The 4-3 3-4 debate has its merits and concerns but Rex is smart (at least defensively as you point out) and will put players where they will succeed and max their skills. Hybrids w fronts and nickel packages predominate over base sets anyway.

Agreed. The 4-3 3-4 debate has its merits and concerns but Rex is smart (at least defensively as you point out) and will put players where they will succeed and max their skills. Hybrids w fronts and nickel packages predominate over base sets anyway.

And I'm guessing Mario will get more sacks (and let's face it, pass rushers care about their sack totals no matter what they say) because Rex is likely to use him in a more traditional passing down vs. running down rotation. Remember how angry people got when Schwartz's "keep the DL fresh" rotation meant Mario sat out a key series against the Texans? I liked the rotation and thought it worked really well (Schwartz was disciplined enough to stick with it even when there was some short term gain to be had by playing his best every down). But with Rex I see Mario in there on every 3rd and long, and that's more sacks and press for the $100 million man

And I'm guessing Mario will get more sacks (and let's face it, pass rushers care about their sack totals no matter what they say) because Rex is likely to use him in a more traditional passing down vs. running down rotation. Remember how angry people got when Schwartz's "keep the DL fresh" rotation meant Mario sat out a key series against the Texans? I liked the rotation and thought it worked really well (Schwartz was disciplined enough to stick with it even when there was some short term gain to be had by playing his best every down). But with Rex I see Mario in there on every 3rd and long, and that's more sacks and press for the $100 million man

I really don't think Mario cares about sacks and it's an overrated stat. Mario was a beast this year and make life easier for everyone else. He is a main reason Hughes is goign to get a monster pay day. Mario's impact goes way beyond sacks.

That said, the 3-4 might free him up more. He averaged a sack/ game in Houston before he got hurt his last year there in a 3-4. Rex has never a pass rusher close to as good as Mario on the Jets. He is drooling over using Mario more than if he saw a foot.

You've gotta let your dogs eat...and this is one of the (many) reasons why players love playing for Rex.

I think the Bills' D was already establishing a "fun" identity toward the end of last season...Rex will make sure that permeates through the entire organization.

An older article but I wouldn't be concerned about 4-3 or 3-4....Bills D didn't always line up 4 across last year. I'm still more concerned about O-line and QB

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1193999-new-york-jets-why-rex-ryans-defense-is-not-a-3-4

Nor did Rex always line up 3 down linemen.

Ryan runs the 46 Defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46_defense

You've gotta let your dogs eat...and this is one of the (many) reasons why players love playing for Rex.

Is it about 'eating' or being disciplined, efficient and consistent...which may not be as flashy but leads to more wins, IMO.

I view Schwartz's D as being the analog to the Belichick approach (cold, calculating, efficient)...where Rex's D is the Buddy Ryan approach (emotional, flashy, but prone to mistakes).

I'd rather have a team of Dobermans than Pit Bulls, frankly...

I'm disappointed that Schwartz will not be back, and consider that an unfortunate casualty of the otherwise great Ryan hire. I don't doubt that our personnel is very talented and Rex along with the new DC can plan on the best ways to use them. My hopes is that there isn't a drastic transition that makes the unit take a step back, instead of the return of Kiko helping it take a step forward.

However, one thing is certain is that there will be less friction within the coaching staff. It is now up to Rex to make sure we have a smooth transition and get the most out of them.

Schwartz's departure is a short term negative that we have to work hard to overcome, but is probably a medium and long term plus as it allows a cohesive vision and allows Rex to contribute the most he can to the team.