Reported: Schwartz will be leaving the Bills

Uffalo Ills

I know it's a return to Pettine system we ran two years ago, but I truly wished JS would have stayed on board. His defense was better all around than the one we had two years ago and the players really seemed to love playing for the guy. I want Rex to be a hands off coach and let the offensive and defensive staff just do their things,

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's a return to Pettine system we ran two years ago, but I truly wished JS would have stayed on board. His defense was better all around than the one we had two years ago and the players really seemed to love playing for the guy. I want Rex to be a hands off coach and let the offensive and defensive staff just do their things,

It's not Pettine system it's Ryan's. He won't be hands off. He's the HC and will run the D. Having said that, I really liked Schwartz's D

Kiko is too small to play MLB. He would be too small play LB against Ohio State. He still should be able to play nickel LB but I hope he is a nightmare to defend coming off the edge.

He's too small to play 3-4 ILB but big enough to play 3-4 OLB? Strange thoughts.

It's not Pettine system it's Ryan's. He won't be hands off. He's the HC and will run the D. Having said that, I really liked Schwartz's D

I was a fan of Schwartz's D too and I agree Pettine's defense is in the style of Rex's, but Rex's usually do better against the run

and I would see Kiko as more of the OLB... coming off the edge and coverage

The minute the team was sold, all of this was put in motion. You don't spend $1b+ and not put your own people in. And new HC bring their own people in as well. This isn't fantasy football. This is real football. We knew it was all getting blown up as soon as Ralph passed. Get over it people.

Sucks for Schwartz...the Bills deny requests from other teams to interview him and then they ultimately squeezed him out.

I wonder if there was any awkwardness between Roman and Schwartz after that dust up Schwartz and Harbaugh had with the post game handshake.

I agree with your post, with the exception of these two points.

To say the Bills squeezed him out the door isn't entirely fair. The guy they valued as the best head coach on the market just happened to be notable for his defense. According to reports, they asked this coach to keep Schwartz in his current role-- despite a clash in philosophies-- and the coach agreed. I agree that this sucks for Schwartz, but it should be a feather in his cap that the owners and front office went to these lengths to retain him.

As for your second point, re: Harbaugh, I highly doubt this was the case. These guys are professionals. This just seems like the only logical move for Schwartz. His defense was outstanding-- and a far better match for our personnel that Pettine's (Ryan's)-- but the tension between systems would have caused problems, especially if the defense turned in a bad game or two. And if it was successful, it would be hard to move out from under Ryan's shadow.

Sadly, it's probably a better move for the Bills, as well. I ultimately think that Schwartz's defense is a better match for the players we currently have on the roster, but it seems strange to hire Rex Ryan and NOT allow him to implement the signature defense that got him head coaching gigs in the first place.

It doesn't make it any less disappointing, though, to see Schwartz go.

Edited by habes1280

The minute the team was sold, all of this was put in motion. You don't spend $1b+ and not put your own people in. And new HC bring their own people in as well. This isn't fantasy football. This is real football. We knew it was all getting blown up as soon as Ralph passed. Get over it people.

Maronne opted out which set this ball in motion, and Pegula is not making the decision on DC, that is Rex Ryans choice

Nothing at all was blown up. Front Office is still intact, GM is still here, RUss Brandon, etc...

Only change is Maronne opted out and forced us to hire a new head coach

Edited by ddaryl

Good Luck JIm Schwartz. You were great.

After Marrone walked out this was not going to be smooth. We will be fine with Rex Ryan defense. Our concern has to be offense and QB.

I feel bad the defense has to learn a new system AGAIN... but these guys are paid millions. Hit the damn books or IPads or whatever. Just get it done. Hit the gym, take care of your body and study. Hire maids and chefs to clean up and feed you... just focus on studying.

Edited by Iraq Vet

Agree with most that its disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Would have been nice for him to stay, but he only would have been here one more season anyways.

At least now we can get Rex's guy and system established and hopefully not have to make any more changes for the next few years.

Good luck Jim, May the Schwartz be with you!