Reported: Schwartz will be leaving the Bills

Uffalo Ills

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We spend a lot of time pondering and thinking about a team that hasn't made the playoffs in, well, you know how long. Schwartz did a good job. Our sacks went down. The defense overall got better. The run defense was the big improvement. Spikes was important in that. But let's look at the Oakland game. Wtf happened? 3rd and 22 and give up a 50 yard pass? Inexcusable. Blame Doug all you want, and I do too. The offense stunk against Oakland. 13 carries for 13 yards. But our defense made some big mistakes and they are just as responsible for the loss in a game we had to win.

I thought we'd miss Pettine, but Schwartz did the job. Now I think we'll miss Schwartz, but Rex will get it done.

Somebody wrote that Kiko is overrated. Not particularly. He made a ton of tackles. But he also over pursued on a number of occasions, and that hurt. Better coaching, better team.

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose.

I just don't get the love for a loud mouthed jerk like Ryan. I loved watching the Bills beat his team 2x this year, and I would have preferred to give Schwartz a shot at HC instead. For the record I would have preferred Pettine as HC over Marrone.

Like I said,

"Although, I can see the defense being just as good this year without Schwartz, and yet I'm not sure how it helps that 20th ranked offense. You know, the one with the bad line, no first round draft pick or veteran QB. "

The Bills lose the HC that took them to 9-7* mostly because of the #3 defense. Then just hired a coach that went 4-12 and gave him a million and a half dollar raise, and with a 5 year contract no less. Only in Buffalo...

Edited by FeartheLosing

If true, this is my worst nightmare coming true. The Rex hire has put this team into full rebuild mode, which is NOT what this team needed. The Rex hire is tearing the team apart, IMO. I just have to hope it won't end up in a disaster.

Waiting a few days, they could have had a shot at Fox, who is CLEARLY a far superior HC than Rex.

Sullivan, is that you?

I would like to know what the "differing philosophies" were

Well, that article clearly states Thurman is coming as DC. How could you read it any other way? You may be right, and I hope you are. But that article in headline, and in content, says Thurman is coming as DC.

Unfortunately he is our HC, not our DC.

Now Dean u know as well as I do that Rex will be running the defense.......

That article only states fact that Thurman is joining Bills - the part about Schwartz leaving was pure speculation as presented.

The article may not have made it explicitly clear, but it links to Kimberly Jones' tweet stating categorically that Dennis Thurman is the DC.

Um, Barbarian? Where did Pettine's D rank against the run, and rank overall? This wasn't an accident. Pettine ran a high-risk, high-reward gambling kind of D. Got lots of sacks, let lots of long runs break.

That was with Kiko as a MLB. The LB's are significantly better now. Kiko was way too small to play MLB. And the DT depth is better.

Regardless I'm ok with more turnovers/sacks even if they get gashed every once in a while. So few teams can commit to the run anyways.

We spend a lot of time pondering and thinking about a team that hasn't made the playoffs in, well, you know how long. Schwartz did a good job. Our sacks went down. The defense overall got better. The run defense was the big improvement. Spikes was important in that. But let's look at the Oakland game. Wtf happened? 3rd and 22 and give up a 50 yard pass? Inexcusable. Blame Doug all you want, and I do too. The offense stunk against Oakland. 13 carries for 13 yards. But our defense made some big mistakes and they are just as responsible for the loss in a game we had to win.

I thought we'd miss Pettine, but Schwartz did the job. Now I think we'll miss Schwartz, but Rex will get it done.

Somebody wrote that Kiko is overrated. Not particularly. He made a ton of tackles. But he also over pursued on a number of occasions, and that hurt. Better coaching, better team.

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose.

Kiko is too small to play MLB. He would be too small play LB against Ohio State. He still should be able to play nickel LB but I hope he is a nightmare to defend coming off the edge.

This is a terrible move. I don't care if we still finish 3rd in D this year. Overall I am not that happy with what I am seeing happening in the last 24 hrs. Not one bit. I thought Rex would come in and manage the coaching talent and manage the active roster/depth chart. Now I am wondering what the EFF.

Now what happens to Johnson? Pagac? Henderson? Superior positional coaches. What is Ryan and this terrible new DC going to want to do? This guy, forgot his name, I watched his D a lot. It was good D bad D jekyl Hyde in a matter of individual series! Screw that

This is a step back

If true, this is my worst nightmare coming true. The Rex hire has put this team into full rebuild mode, which is NOT what this team needed. The Rex hire is tearing the team apart, IMO. I just have to hope it won't end up in a disaster.

Waiting a few days, they could have had a shot at Fox, who is CLEARLY a far superior HC than Rex.

fox is not superior IMO but I agree with everything else you said. I hate this move.

Count me in the group that would have liked Schwartz to stay on but has no idea why people are freaking out.

The defense has a ton of talent and we we will still have a great defensive staff. That's the least of our concerns.

The question is whether we can get the offense to a spot to be a playoff team. Greg Roman, not Rex, not Schwartz is the key to our season next year.

All the whining is just ridiculous. Defense will be just as good or better in 2015. Rex has proven he is one of the best defensive coaches of all time. Think he just sits around and does nothing? Bringing Dennis Thurman over from the Jets as DC. Jets were 5th in the NFL against the run, Bills were 11th. Adding needed pieces to the offense will help as well. Nobody thinks they will get help on the OL or at QB? That's just absurd. Bills are a playoff team in 2015. Bills DC's since 2001- Jerry Grey, Perry Fewell, George Edwards, Dave Wannstedt, Mike Pettine, Jim Schwartz. 0-ZERO-0 Playoff appearances. Everyone just looks at record and says well Bills won 5 more games than the Jets. That's ignorant. If Rex would have been the Bills coach in 2014, Bills are a playoff team. Marrone as the Jets coach, Jets would have been....4-12.

I don't think Marrone would have won more than 2 games as the Jets coach in 2014. Edited by Manther

I don't get all the, "the sky is falling" stuff.

Yes I am a fan of the hire, but Christ, Rex knows defense, his defenses have been better than than anything we have put out for years. Why wouldn't we improve. Also news flash, all teams are running hybrids. Wade Phillips was running something like 52% of plays out of the 3-4. The defense will be better.

Let's not forget, the defense was less than dominant when in mattered most this past season. Good enough yes, dominant no. We will be fine. Let whatever happens happens on D. If we are going to worry, make it on the other side of the ball.

This thread is funny. The Bills hire the best defensive mind in the NFL over the past 15 years to run their team and suddenly Jim freaking Schwartz is indispensable.

The Bills D will continue to be nasty. Schwartz did a great job this year and he'll easily find another DC position.

As for concerns about other position coaches, I bet most of them would jump at the chance to work with Rex -- particularly Henderson.

Let's all also not forget that in the only meaningful game the Bills played against the Pats* last year, Brady led four long second half scoring drives against Schwartz's D.

I thought Schwartz would've wanted to stay and in my mind it made sense that he would for at least another year. It would've have really helped his ability to possibly get another HC gig.

Saying that, I'll say the same thing I said when Pettine left and people thought the sky was falling and were questioning Schwartz. This defense is nasty, they are absolutely loaded with talent. I think any good coach could get these guys to preform. Rex Ryan is a great defensive coach. In fact it's possible it could get better. The Jets were 6th against the run, the Bills were 11th.

Think Pettine's defense but run by the guy who actually thought it up and knows how to stop the run and is brilliant in disguising coverages and pressure.

The defense will be fine. The offense is the big question mark.

My only concern with the hiring of Rex Ryan is this - another new defensive coordinator. Sure the new defense will be Ryan's D and I get that. But the for the Bills, if reports hold true of course that Schwartz will move on, the Bills D will now have their 6th defensive coordinator in 7 seasons. Again, this concern probably will go lighten up since the new D will be Rex Ryan's D. Still, that many D Coordinators over that span is a lot.

we have great defensive personnel that can rush, hit, control gaps and cover.

doesn't matter who is DC, we have three pro bowlers on our front line and good depth all around.

we need Oline personnel and a qb or none of this matters anyway.

Those who recall watching wannestadt coach this core of players might disagree.