ESPN's Rich Cimini Blasts Bills/Ryan

Fadingpain

He wasn't even average. That first year Sanchez completed 54% of his passes with 12 TDs and 20 INTs. His 2nd year was only marginally better.

I remember saying Sanchez was single handedly trying to destroy them.

EJ was never close to as bad as Sanchez was in his career.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you didn't hear it live, go to WGR550.com and listen to the segment from Rich Cimini (ESPN NEW YORK) commenting on the Rex Ryan hire.

He was strong in his comments.

I am paraphrasing here, but among his comments:

Can't believe the Bills just paid $5.5 million per year for a career below .500 coach

Rex Ryan is who he is: a below .500 career coach

Rex Ryan has blind spot for offense

The Bills offense will remain mediocre with Ryan as head coach

Ryan went through three OCs at the Jets of all types, styles and schools...none worked

The Bills defense will be very good, but it already was very good; that doesn't explain the Ryan hiring

Remove Ryan's charm and ability to control the media and his "big name and personality" created from all the media attention he has received over the years, and you are left with a below .500 coach

"And furthermore, lest you guys all forget my point, in his 6 years with the NYJ, Rex Ryan was a below 0.500 coach"

Bill Belichick 1st 6 yrs in the league 41-55 (5 w/ Browns, 1 with NE) "one Mo Lewis hit away from the unemployment line"

Pete Carroll 1st 4 years in the league a not-exactly-awe-inspiring 33-31 (1 NYJ, 3 NE) then after 10 yrs away, 7-9 for 1st 2 seasons with SEA which would make him 40-49 and possibly one draft pick (Russ Wilson) away from the unemployment line

Lessons to be drawn:

1) you win more with Tom Brady than Drew Bledsoe/an aging Vinny Testeverde or Bernie Kosar

2) you win more with Russ Wilson than with Tarvaris Jackson/Matt Hasselbeck

3) if there were a sure-fire way to pick a head coach that would make your team a winner, every team in the NFL would swap off being champions 'cuz even the same guy, several years later, can have a different impact on the team's record

Edited by Hopeful

"And furthermore, lest you guys all forget my point, in his 6 years with the NYJ, Rex Ryan was a below 0.500 coach"

Bill Belichick 1st 6 yrs in the league 41-55 (5 w/ Browns, 1 with NE) "one Mo Lewis hit away from the unemployment line"

Pete Carroll 1st 4 years in the league a not-exactly-awe-inspiring 33-31 (1 NYJ, 3 NE) then after 10 yrs away, 7-9 for 1st 2 seasons with SEA which would make him 40-49 and possibly one draft pick (Russ Wilson) away from the unemployment line

Lessons to be drawn:

1) you win more with Tom Brady than Drew Bledsoe/an aging Vinny Testeverde or Bernie Kosar

2) you win more with Russ Wilson than with Tarvaris Jackson/Matt Hasselbeck

3) if there were a sure-fire way to pick a head coach that would make your team a winner, every team in the NFL would swap off being champions 'cuz even the same guy, several years later, can have a different impact on the team's record

This is a very well-crafted post.

As I see it, it's a style vs. substance argument. Think of a scale with Ditka at one end and Walsh at the other. Many fans and members of the media strongly prefer an emotional, say anything, give a good interview, give 'em Hell and kick some butt kind of coach over the reserved, cerebral, calculating, professoral type. The same preferences exist in politics as well.

My inclination is more toward the Walsh type and I put Rex more toward the Ditka type. Most of the praise I hear from other fans is more for his personality or public persona. Given that he never could fix his offenses after repeated attempts I question just how much substance there is in Rex Ryan's coaching record.

Even if he is a fan, why would he care since the Jets fired Ryan?

He was evaluating Rex Ryan's career as the Jets head coach.

The situation in NY deteriorated in recent years culminating in a miserable 4 and 12 season last year. Any Jets fan would likely want Rex's head on a silver platter at this point.

That's why.

As I see it, it's a style vs. substance argument. Think of a scale with Ditka at one end and Walsh at the other. Many fans and members of the media strongly prefer an emotional, say anything, give a good interview, give 'em Hell and kick some butt kind of coach over the reserved, cerebral, calculating, professoral type. The same preferences exist in politics as well.

My inclination is more toward the Walsh type and I put Rex more toward the Ditka type. Most of the praise I hear from other fans is more for his personality or public persona. Given that he never could fix his offenses after repeated attempts I question just how much substance there is in Rex Ryan's coaching record.

I think Rex is an innovator. I always thought Ditka was the opposite of an innovator.

When I hear people upset that we are getting disrespected by an ESPN Knot head, all I can think of is I'm glad we signed REX. You know why? Because we need some confidence and swagger !!!! Stuff like that should just fuel us, I know it will get him fired up.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

I think a lot of people here and elsewhere thought Rex Ryan was a good coach the day the season ended.

Others probably not as much, though a lot of the anti-Rex crowd bases their complaints on Rex's various meaningless personal traits and not his objective skills as a coach.

You know, they are like "he is a loud mouth" or "he is over-confident" or "his confidence and positivity threatens me so I hate him" and this sort of thing.

Don't get sucked into that crap. Who cares if he is a loud mouth or whatever else. I care about his coaching record.

The same goes for the pro-Rex crowd. He's boisterous! He's got swagger! He doesn't like Belichick! He'll bring his swagger to this team!

These local ESPN beat reporters for their NFL coverage are pretty shallow generally. Rodak is probably the worst, but Cimini is not exactly some sort of NFL savant. I am not sure why anyone would care what he has to say.

These local ESPN beat reporters for their NFL coverage are pretty shallow generally. Rodak is probably the worst, but Cimini is not exactly some sort of NFL savant. I am not sure why anyone would care what he has to say.

This last Twitter post is kind of funny.

Cimini is 100% out to get Rex, no matter what. I now realize that.

In my opinion, anything he has to say about Rex should be ignored, as he is 100% biased and a complete amateur journalist.

Let's see if Rex really can build his bully in WNY. I hope so!

Cimini is a long time NYC beat writer. He obviously has an anti Rex slant. I don't think Ryan will miss these bozos.

"[Ryan] manages the game like a defensive coordinator."

"He doesn't look at the big picture; they [Jets] never established an identity on offense."

"The head coach establishes the identity and the Jets never had one."

It goes on and on....

-Rich Cimini

Some truth to this. Edited by GunnerBill

He was evaluating Rex Ryan's career as the Jets head coach.

The situation in NY deteriorated in recent years culminating in a miserable 4 and 12 season last year. Any Jets fan would likely want Rex's head on a silver platter at this point.

That's why.

But most still love him.

Cimini is a long time NYC beat writer. He obviously has an anti Rex slant. I don't think Ryan will miss these bozos.

He's also playing to the NYC croud, much like Sully would do if the situation were reversed.

It's all theater...