I Absolutely LOVE the New Hires and I Will Tell You Why

Can't be hard knocks with a first year coach.

As for Roman.... other than the pistol for Kaep what about his offense was innovative? It was a run first, ride the bell cow offense from what I can see. Not necessarily saying that is a bad thing for Buffalo I just don't get the "innovative" talk. Although he is certainly an upgrade on Nate.

Can be if Bills say ok

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills get a big name HC who has a great defensive background. He will bring his defensive assistants with him and an OC (either Roman or Trestman) who has been successful for years in the NFL. When was the last time you can say that about a Bills HC? The Bills are finally investing in a HC. Long overdue.

Also:

11) Mandatory routine pedicures for all female staff members

12) Hard Knocks: Buffalo?

Oh good point. I think this guarantees us a spot on Hard Knocks. No team volunteers for it, we are one of hte few the NFL can mandate it to. Wait, I take that back, I think a new HC buys you a year off the list of teams the NFL can make do it?

Oh good point. I think this guarantees us a spot on Hard Knocks. No team volunteers for it, we are one of hte few the NFL can mandate it to. Wait, I take that back, I think a new HC buys you a year off the list of teams the NFL can make do it?

Yep. Bills can't be forced to be on Hard Knocks this year. They can still opt in to it.

Roman's first few years with San Francisco were pretty great. They didn't look so hot this year. I hope it has more to do with the Harbaugh fall out than him losing his creativity. Maybe he can even get Manuel where we want him to be. EJ is not anywhere near Kap's raw talent, but some of his issues are similar. Roman did a good job scheming with those in mind.

I'm really excited. Hope there's a way we retain our defensive staff (Schwartz, Pepper and Donnie) despite Rex moving in, but if we can't I trust Rex and his crew with our defensive talent.

Is Roman a done deal? During the late game yesterday I saw that he was interviewing with Cleveland.

Is Roman a done deal? During the late game yesterday I saw that he was interviewing with Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/01/greg_roman_unlikely_to_intervi.html

Found this, doesn't look like he is going to Cleveland

1) Rex Ryan is a proven NFL commodity. Let's face it: the Falcons, 49ers, Bears, and even the Jets are all considered more desirable and prestigious coaching jobs. Reports have come out that Atlanta was Rex's first choice, followed by SF. That is not a negative thing that he wasn't in love with the Buffalo situation, it's a positive thing that we swooped in and got him while other teams were indecisive.

2) The coordinators are not the messiahs. Frank Reich is not ready to be a head coach. He just doesn't have enough experience. The Buffalo connection is cool, but he's not on other teams short lists. The Seahawks assistants are sexy, but really Pete Carroll is the one making it happen out there. We've seen other coaching trees plucked dry to no avail many times in the past around the league. That's not to say none of these coordinators will go on to have success, but if one of them goes on to coach a team to a conference championship game that would be considered a huge success. Rex has already done that.

3) Speaking of that conference championship game, that Jets team and roster with Sanchez and the great defense was pretty similar to the situation he is now taking over in Buffalo.

4) The defense was great under Pettine. The defense was great under Schwartz. The defense will be great under Ryan, because the defense has great players.

5) The last OC had no business being an NFL coordinator. The new OC has proven experience on a team that went to a Superbowl. This is a big upgrade over Hackett.

6) Both the new HC and OC have experience working with teams that have strong defensive talent and a lack of production from the QB position. I wish we had Andrew Luck on the roster, but the reality is we don't. These guys can work with what we have today.

7) I have my issues with Whaley. I am not an EJ Manuel guy, and with the way other rookies played this year the Watkins trade looks iffy. However, it seems clear to be that this team has been ON THE WHOLE increasing the amount of talent on the roster for the last several seasons. The owners sided with the current front office and I support them.

8) The Bills will get added national media attention with Rex as HC. If the team gets hot next year, it could cause Buffalo to all of a sudden become a much hotter free agent destination for the 2016 offseason.

9) The last several times the Bills had a coaching search, the process was lengthy and they were spurned by many candidates, and it felt like they were left scraping the bottom of the barrel. Jauron and Gailey were old, behind the times, and washed up. Marrone was a longshot flyer that no one else really wanted, who had a very marginal resume but happened to coach in the right geographic region. This time they interviewed a wide variety of great candidates, and acted decisively in getting a quality staff in place.

10) RYAN AND ROMAN IS A CLEAR UPGRADE OVER MARRONE AND HACKETT

Excellent post. I agree with all of them, particularly (2) -- the defense will be good because the personnel is good. No one should be worried about the Pettine (Rex system) - to Schwartz - to Rex (maybe with Schwartz) transition. And I like the infusion of all the newcomers -- the most dangerous thing as far as I'm concerned would have been to stand pat in the offseason, hoping that a minor tweak here and there would get us over the hump. An outsiders point of view was critical.

1) Rex Ryan is a proven NFL commodity. Let's face it: the Falcons, 49ers, Bears, and even the Jets are all considered more desirable and prestigious coaching jobs. Reports have come out that Atlanta was Rex's first choice, followed by SF. That is not a negative thing that he wasn't in love with the Buffalo situation, it's a positive thing that we swooped in and got him while other teams were indecisive.

2) The coordinators are not the messiahs. Frank Reich is not ready to be a head coach. He just doesn't have enough experience. The Buffalo connection is cool, but he's not on other teams short lists. The Seahawks assistants are sexy, but really Pete Carroll is the one making it happen out there. We've seen other coaching trees plucked dry to no avail many times in the past around the league. That's not to say none of these coordinators will go on to have success, but if one of them goes on to coach a team to a conference championship game that would be considered a huge success. Rex has already done that.

3) Speaking of that conference championship game, that Jets team and roster with Sanchez and the great defense was pretty similar to the situation he is now taking over in Buffalo.

4) The defense was great under Pettine. The defense was great under Schwartz. The defense will be great under Ryan, because the defense has great players.

5) The last OC had no business being an NFL coordinator. The new OC has proven experience on a team that went to a Superbowl. This is a big upgrade over Hackett.

6) Both the new HC and OC have experience working with teams that have strong defensive talent and a lack of production from the QB position. I wish we had Andrew Luck on the roster, but the reality is we don't. These guys can work with what we have today.

7) I have my issues with Whaley. I am not an EJ Manuel guy, and with the way other rookies played this year the Watkins trade looks iffy. However, it seems clear to be that this team has been ON THE WHOLE increasing the amount of talent on the roster for the last several seasons. The owners sided with the current front office and I support them.

8) The Bills will get added national media attention with Rex as HC. If the team gets hot next year, it could cause Buffalo to all of a sudden become a much hotter free agent destination for the 2016 offseason.

9) The last several times the Bills had a coaching search, the process was lengthy and they were spurned by many candidates, and it felt like they were left scraping the bottom of the barrel. Jauron and Gailey were old, behind the times, and washed up. Marrone was a longshot flyer that no one else really wanted, who had a very marginal resume but happened to coach in the right geographic region. This time they interviewed a wide variety of great candidates, and acted decisively in getting a quality staff in place.

10) RYAN AND ROMAN IS A CLEAR UPGRADE OVER MARRONE AND HACKETT

I like your thinking. I am a big fan of Doug Whaley, I think you can see real progress in just the depth of talent the team now has, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and I really don't blame him too much for whiffing on a QB, of all the positions to draft for, unless you have an Andrew Luck available, it's going to always be a crap shoot.

I like your thinking. I am a big fan of Doug Whaley, I think you can see real progress in just the depth of talent the team now has, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and I really don't blame him too much for whiffing on a QB, of all the positions to draft for, unless you have an Andrew Luck available, it's going to always be a crap shoot.

People forget how sick of the Edwards > Fitzpatrick era everyone was. There was immense pressure to draft a new QB. Also, they didn't really intend on playing EJ right away. They brought in Kolb to ease the transition for a year, but didn't foresee him retiring due to preseason concussions. Obviously the EJ pick was not Whaley's finest hour, but on the whole the regime has drafted and assembled talent well.

It's really hard taking your hot sports opinions seriously with a name like DukeyBomb.

signed BeefCurtns

Haha. I like that.

I thought that was the case too but it appears the Bills can be considered according to reports.

I believe that is true, think teams can volunteer but can't be forced to participate.

Can't be hard knocks with a first year coach.

As for Roman.... other than the pistol for Kaep what about his offense was innovative? It was a run first, ride the bell cow offense from what I can see. Not necessarily saying that is a bad thing for Buffalo I just don't get the "innovative" talk. Although he is certainly an upgrade on Nate.

Cant be FORCED to do it with first year head coach.

But I have said this year and last, we should Volunteer. Get it out of the way. I'd rather be distracted at 9-7 than 11-5.

I was iffy on the Ryan signing until I saw Roman as the OC. This guy knows exactly what to do in a situation where a team has a great defense, but doesn't have a top notch offense. He runs the football. With that said, I'm a bit concerned about the Bills RB situation. Both Spiller and Jackson hit the market as free agents. That means we're going into the draft with just Boobie Dixon and Bryce Brown at RB. Not super excited yet about the RB situation.

You should have mentioned Roman more, he is a huge pickup. Our offense will have a ton of creativity and players love him. He makes it easy and he's on the cutting edge. He's also had great success with the running game and even had very good success with a young mobile QB and even Alex Smith had his best year under him. Great hires! A+.

Also hoping we can add Iupati, Davis, Crabtree and hell throw in Gore too. Hearing rumors of a possible Revis and Rex reconnection? One things for sure, things have gotten and will be very interesting. Love it!

Roman has had to scheme against the Seahawks, that has to count for something too.