Dennis Thurman & Donnie Henderson

boyst

I am not as optimistic about the outcome here. 5 years 5 coordinators.....new sets of reads for the D......really, these guys must have their head swimming. Were I playing under this merry go round of coaching, I would get out of Dodge as quickly as possible when my contract was up. (see Hughes ) Buffalo's D was great this past year, but back into the hot mess of coaching change again. I have Low expectations of this new coaching crew. They ,after all, were the Jets coaches these past few years. Ugh.......

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not as optimistic about the outcome here. 5 years 5 coordinators.....new sets of reads for the D......really, these guys must have their head swimming. Were I playing under this merry go round of coaching, I would get out of Dodge as quickly as possible when my contract was up. (see Hughes ) Buffalo's D was great this past year, but back into the hot mess of coaching change again. I have Low expectations of this new coaching crew. They ,after all, were the Jets coaches these past few years. Ugh.......

And yet they were fine with four? Five is the tipping point?

I don't think so. These guys are pros. It's not like they're changing coordinators week to week.

I'm suddenly reminded of the sweeping Wide-9/oh-my-god-we'll-never-blitz paranoia that swept through Bills Nation following the Schwartz hire.

As the guy who wagged his finger at everyone bitching about Hackett by reminding the mob how untalented key parts of our offense were, let me now join others and say: this defense, with even the slightest bit of coaching competency, will be just fine.

Edited by The Big Cat

Reports are that Thurman is in as DC and Pepper will interview for DC elsewhere, I would not be shocked if Henderson interviews for DC elsewhere. Although I think the Def will be fine it is worrying though to break up a good defense coaching staff. Too much turnover may not be such a good thing. That said I think the D will be fine, we have to address QB, OL and our running game.

I don't think this is a big deal. Pettine was Rex Ryan's defensive co-ordinator only a year removed and he was touted enough to land a head coaching job. The defensive principles are the same. Pettine was literally Rex Ryan's right hand man. So lets not overblow Jim Schwartz here. He inherited a very good defense that had another year to gel that was young and improved with another year. Yes, Jim Schwartz was a part of that improvement but he wasn't the only reason the Bills had a great defense

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 7s7 seconds ago

How Mike Pettine Used Kyle Williams in 2013 http://forgedinbuffalo.com/sports/22-analysis-buffalo-bills-dl-kyle-williams/ What we should see this year

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 27s28 seconds ago

How Pettine used Mario Williams in 2013 http://forgedinbuffalo.com/sports/mario-williams-play-key-buffalo-bills-defensive-turnaround/

Some throwback stuff that is being tweeted out that could be reminders--

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 4m4 minutes ago

Inside Mike Pettine’s Playbook Part One: Pettine’s Philosophy http://famba.se/YVQD7C via @TheBillsMafia

Inside Mike Pettine’s Playbook Part Two: The 3-4 as a Personnel Group http://famba.se/YVF7Jr via @TheBillsMafia

Inside Mike Pettine’s Playbook Part Three: Defending The Spread http://famba.se/1Ed98FD via @TheBillsMafia

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 53s54 seconds ago

Inside Mike Pettine’s Playbook Part Four: The Zone Blitz http://famba.se/YUUlyr via @TheBillsMafia

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 1m1 minute ago

What Can We Expect From The Bills’ D-Line In 2013? http://famba.se/YVk7m8 via @TheBillsMafia

Edited by YoloinOhio

This isn't as bad as the chicken Littles are making this out to be. Pettine ran a Rex Ryan defence here 2 years ago, and it was good, they aren't going to an entirely new defence, just back to one they already had some experience with

My recall is that the Pettine D was flashy with lots of sacks, but gave up a lot on the run.......and Schwartz fixed that with his system. Now, back to the system that was run deficient.......seems like the Rex/Pettine system might not be as strong as some suggest. Thats an empirical observation followed by an opinion. I will stand corrected if Rex defense comes in #4 or better. I am guessing not, however!

Now, back to the system that was run deficient.......seems like the Rex/Pettine system might not be as strong as some suggest.

Pettine's system can't stop the run to save it's neck. Check his results in Cleveland in that regard as well.

Rex' on the other hand is stout against the run. The Jets last year were better against the run than our Schwartz D.

Another way to look at the Schwartz thing is that there was a good chance that he was going to leave at some point once he got a HC offer.

Peter,

I was thinking this just last night.

Lets keep in mind that Rex Ryan signed a FIVE year deal...he isnt going anywhere soon.

I think Schwartz might have been upset he didnt get the HC job (which could have been why he agreed to be the DC to begin with....to get that chance)

Schwartz was going to bail the first chance he got.....and chances are he would shine with this D next year as well...and be gone.....and then Rex is having to take it over anyway the following year

My recall is that the Pettine D was flashy with lots of sacks, but gave up a lot on the run.......and Schwartz fixed that with his system. Now, back to the system that was run deficient.......seems like the Rex/Pettine system might not be as strong as some suggest. Thats an empirical observation followed by an opinion. I will stand corrected if Rex defense comes in #4 or better. I am guessing not, however!

Rex's D was better against the run than we were.

The Chicken Little crowd wants to the lay improved run-D at the feet of Jim Schwartz.

Undoubtedly, he helped.

But so did Brandon Spikes, Preston Brown and Kiko Alonso not over-running gaps by four feet.

this.

Not to mention Bradham and a refocused dareus.

I really hope we bring back spikes.

Edited by kr632

Rex's D was better against the run than we were.

This doesn't seem to be sinking in

The Jets were a depleted team talent wise this year and had a QB who threw picks like candy at a parade.

They lost to the Patriots* by a TOTAL of 3 points in two games.

Rex WILL have this team ready to kick their asses!

Edited by TheFunPolice

The Chicken Little crowd wants to the lay improved run-D at the feet of Jim Schwartz.

Undoubtedly, he helped.

But so did Brandon Spikes, Preston Brown and Kiko Alonso not over-running gaps by four feet.

And Bradham. And Hughes was stellar against the run. And Corey Graham. And don't forget that Marcel's head was on straight, which was a huge factor (and something Marrone gets partial credit for).