Dennis Thurman & Donnie Henderson

boyst

Dennis Thurman played in the NFL from 1978-1986. Its worth mentioning he never missed one his 137 games played. He is 58 years old and coached DB's his entire career. Reports are stating that he is going to be heading to Buffalo with Rex. Where does that leave our own Donnie Henderson? Henderson, 57 years old, has been a DB coach much of his career. He has also spent ample time as a DC and linebackers coach (mostly early on).

With Schwartz already here and assuming he will have full control what is adding Thurman to the mix going to do? If Thurman is coming as a special assistant to the HC and we are keeping Henderson, I am fine with that. However, many here and around the league believe Pepper Johnson and Donnie Henderson are ready for the DC position.

We can probably guess that Schwartz may leave as a HC in the next year or so and that will leave us with a DC spot to be filled. I want to know what happens then? Does Ryan take over as DC? Convert our team to his 34 style and put Thurman in place? Where does that leave Henderson & Johnson?

It strikes me as a potentially terrible thing or a potentially amazing opportunity to have that much experience on the defensive side of the ball.

Thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good topic. it's really hard to know what everyone is thinking. I assume the early reports about Thurman coming with him were just natural reactions, and/or that Ryan has told reporters I will bring my guys including Thurman with me before any job offer was made. The same natural conclusion would be that with Ryan coming over, Schwartz wouldn't stay. But that doesn't appear to be true, yet at least. Vic Carruci said Ryan asked Schwartz to stay and the Pegulas want Schwartz to stay. We haven't heard from Schwartz yet.

IIRC, when Pettine was leaving, Ryan said something like "It was Mike's defense." So maybe he allows more leeway for his DC than we would imagine.

I was joking earlier that with Rex, and Thurman, and Schwartz staying, and Henderson and Pepper Johnson, if they stay, that is five DC caliber coaches on the defense. Bandit reminded me that Fred Pagac the LB coach was a DC at Minn, so it is 6. That's a lot of brainpower, although it could be too many cooks, too.

One thing is that if Schwartz stays, and we do great again on D, which is pretty likely, he would be gone in a year. So with rex we get the defensive mind for 5 years instead of 1. Henderson coached under Ryan, too, and has DC experience, and I think is our best position coach. I would want him as the DC over Thurman or Pepper if Schwartz leaves.

So is Pepper still under contract? Was he one of the guys under a 1 year deal like many of the rest? What about Pagac? If I am Ryan I told Pegula to give Schwartz the check book and keep the guys he wanted. I would assume that would be Pagac and Johnson.

Agreed, though, I think this is setting up for a masterful defense and its a lot of coaching power coming together. Hell, if I am Dick LeBeau I call up the Bills and ask to join the staff in some capacity just to be in the cool club.

So is Pepper still under contract? Was he one of the guys under a 1 year deal like many of the rest? What about Pagac? If I am Ryan I told Pegula to give Schwartz the check book and keep the guys he wanted. I would assume that would be Pagac and Johnson.

Agreed, though, I think this is setting up for a masterful defense and its a lot of coaching power coming together. Hell, if I am Dick LeBeau I call up the Bills and ask to join the staff in some capacity just to be in the cool club.

He's still under contract, otherwise the Giants wouldn't have had to ask permission to interview him. Johnson, Pagac and Schwartz all came in last year. I know Schwartz got a two year deal at least. I assume that the others did too or we would have heard their contracts are up

Didn't Dick Lebeau and Ralph Wilson graduate high school together?

Jim Schwartz is apparently out. Dennis Thurman is in as defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills.

According to Kimberly Jones of NFL Media, Thurman will reunite with new Bills coach Rex Ryan and serve as the defensive coordinator in Buffalo.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/12/reports-dennis-thurman-to-be-bills-defensive-coordinator/

--

Edited by HOUSE

So Rex runs the defense as he did in NY with assistance from Thurman. This is not a shock. i guess now we will get to see first hand how much of a defensive genius ole Sexy Rexy is. He certainly has been handed all the talent on that side of the ball he could ever ask for.

So Rex runs the defense as he did in NY with assistance from Thurman. This is not a shock. i guess now we will get to see first hand how much of a defensive genius ole Sexy Rexy is. He certainly has been handed all the talent on that side of the ball he could ever ask for.

yea - once signed, keeping schwartz wouldve been a surprise. schematically, and personality, they seemed like they would rub each other the wrong way.

Edited by NoSaint