Marrone a possible candidate for Bears?

YoloinOhio

Sean Payton thinks the world of Ryan Pace. Pace has played a HUGE role in building that Saints roster over the last decade. Payton has been a Marrone supporter (at least publicly). If Payton actually feels about Marrone as it seems he will be a strong candidate.

He wouldn't be a bad fit there. He gets his QB. And 4-0 against the NFC north!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fun to bash Marrone given recent events but didn't everyone want a tough, no-nonsense coach who didn't coddle players?

Yeah but he quit. You know the rules. Now everything bad with the team was his fault. Easy to see with all the threads devoted to him, and all the ones hijacked talking about it as well.

It's fun to bash Marrone given recent events but didn't everyone want a tough, no-nonsense coach who didn't coddle players?

Yes. We also wanted a coach with an innovative, aggressive mentality on offense -- not an old school ultra-conservative dope.

Oh, and somebody who wouldn't quit.

Yes. We also wanted a coach with an innovative, aggressive mentality on offense -- not an old school ultra-conservative dope.

Oh, and somebody who wouldn't quit.

You can't enact an innovative offense when your qb is the worst starting qb in the league and when your OL consistently gets overwhelmed blocking for run and pass plays. How do you call creative plays for an offense that can't execute basic plays?

Doug Marrone took a very conservative approach to the offense because collectivelyhis players on that unit (qb and OL) were incapable. Relying on the defense and STs and minimizing the offense was the right approach to take for the simple reason that there were no other alternaitves.

I am praying that Marrone gets a HC job. This is an interesting year as far as coaching jobs go. There seems to be more good candidates than jobs. We could almost back into a good one coming to Buffalo by default.

If he takes up a spot, that leaves another guy available for us to pick from. After Atlanta and SF we are probably the best job out there (maybe Chi?). Nothing would make me happier than Marrone bumping a legit coach our way.

Doug Marrone did the right thing for him and the organization by leaving the franchise. He and Whaley had unbridgeable differences on buidling a team. While it seems that Whaley is committed to EJ it is apparent that Marrone had made a determination that EJ will never be a franchise qb, at least for him, who would give him a chance to succeed.

Marrone has strong views on players that contradict the moves that Whaley made. He disagreed with the Watkins deal, made little use of the Mike Williams acquisition and little use of Brown after the fourth round expenditure.

Putting aside the stubborn and prickly personality traits of the HC Marrone made the calculation that he had a better chance to succeed elsewhere than he did with the Bills, especially with their dire qb situation.

It seems to me that Whaley is very much invested in EJ. So much so that he is betting on a qb that many (if not most) people are understandably very skeptical of. Many people like to bash the departed HC who exercised an option that was stipulated in his contract. I have no problem with his leaving a job in which it appears that he felt that it wasn't going to work out for him.

Contrary to most others' views leaving a job for philosophical reasons, espeically when the contractual agreement allows it, it should be more graciously accepted instead of vilified. The bottom line is that his departure benefited him and the organization. Most often when the situation is unsustainable it is better to act sooner rather than later. That's exactly what he did.

Great post John, and while I don't agree with it 100%, I agree with the majority of it.

The one thing I disagree on is Whaley betting 100% on EJ. Right now, he is our only option. Let's see what plays out in the new league year. It may be we go to OTAs and camp with EJ Tthe clear cut choice, or we may not.

We will agree to disagree on your position that the offense philosophy was the right one, I believe the opposite to be true. But, think neither one of us will convince the other LOL

That is all fine but you left out the part where he texted goodbye to the players via HR, made no statement whatsoever to the fans who paid his salary, and bad mouthed the organization in the days following his departure. These are not things that are done or omitted by someone who is ultimately going to succeed.

He clearly had trouble dealing with multiple people while he was here and he showed no class when he left.

Who care how he leaves? Whether he texted his departure or whether he held an inauthentic sobbing press conference what difference does it make? The notion that the fans and players feelings are hurt are non-sensical. The NFL is a business in which players, coaches, front office staff members are constantly on the move.

The HC had an opt-out clause in his contract that he exercised. What's wrong with that? Players have free agent categories and front office and coaches have expiring contracts and opt out options that are often exercised. Doug Marrone felt that for him the situation was untenable. So he left. What is worse than leaving in such a situation is staying in such a situation. The former HC did what was right for him and what was right for the organization. He should be credited for acting on his beliefs instead of letting the situation fester into a bigger problem at a later time.

You can't enact an innovative offense when your qb is the worst starting qb in the league and when your OL consistently gets overwhelmed blocking for run and pass plays. How do you call creative plays for an offense that can't execute basic plays?

Doug Marrone took a very conservative approach to the offense because collectivelyhis players on that unit (qb and OL) were incapable. Relying on the defense and STs and minimizing the offense was the right approach to take for the simple reason that there were no other alternaitves.

Syracuse was 29th in passing and 17th in offense in Doug's final year there with a QB who was drafted fairly high and a left tackle who went in the 1st round. That doesn't exactly stand out as innovative or cutting edge. Chip Kelly nearly made stars out of Nick Foles and Riley Cooper, no one is confusing them with Andrew Luck and Dez Bryant anytime soon. A good coach is able to work with what he's given, a bad coach throws is hands up and says "the players aren't capable". Mike Singletary famously declared he couldn't win with the same players Jim Harbaugh took to 3 straight NFC title games. Mike Singletary likely isn't getting another head coaching job anytime soon while Harbaugh was hired instantly after things turned south in San Fran. Which one does Marrone sound more like?

I refuse to believe running Spiller up the middle or using Sammy as a blocker on a screen for Chris Hogan or Fred Jackson is the best use of a player's talent. St. Doug is inflexible and far from innovative, sitting in the same room while Sean Payton and Drew Brees worked doesn't make someone a genius.

Great post John, and while I don't agree with it 100%, I agree with the majority of it.

The one thing I disagree on is Whaley betting 100% on EJ. Right now, he is our only option. Let's see what plays out in the new league year. It may be we go to OTAs and camp with EJ Tthe clear cut choice, or we may not.

We will agree to disagree on your position that the offense philosophy was the right one, I believe the opposite to be true. But, think neither one of us will convince the other LOL

It doesn't matter what your football philosophy is on offense if the quality of your players is at a dismal level. Our OL and qb were atrocious. The problems they encountered had little to do with strategy and everything to do with their talent level. It is very difficult to game plan for inept players competing against vastly superior players going against them.

John, I don't buy this at all. In Chan Gailey's last year the OL was more than serviceable. Under Marrone's "tutelage" every player on that line regressed, and he did nothing to develop the numerous bodies they brought in through FA and the draft. It appears he was stubborn and impatient, and I believe it's safe to say he didn't want to put the time in to developing a QB.

It's not "risky" to realize that Sammy Watkins and CJ Spiller need the ball in their hands. It's not "risky" to use Mike Williams in the red zone because he has a height advantage and can go after jump balls.

Why would Marrone play an injured Watkins in a meaningless preseason game? To prove a point about how tough he is? That was absurd.

All of your other comments about how and why Marrone left are fine and make sense -- he didn't like the way things were going here so he opted out. But I don't for one moment give him a "pass" on how he ran the offense.

Edited by eball

Syracuse was 29th in passing and 17th in offense in Doug's final year there with a QB who was drafted fairly high and a left tackle who went in the 1st round. That doesn't exactly stand out as innovative or cutting edge. Chip Kelly nearly made stars out of Nick Foles and Riley Cooper, no one is confusing them with Andrew Luck and Dez Bryant anytime soon. A good coach is able to work with what he's given, a bad coach throws is hands up and says "the players aren't capable". Mike Singletary famously declared he couldn't win with the same players Jim Harbaugh took to 3 straight NFC title games. Mike Singletary likely isn't getting another head coaching job anytime soon while Harbaugh was hired instantly after things turned south in San Fran. Which one does Marrone sound more like?

I refuse to believe running Spiller up the middle or using Sammy as a blocker on a screen for Chris Hogan or Fred Jackson is the best use of a player's talent. St. Doug is inflexible and far from innovative, sitting in the same room while Sean Payton and Drew Brees worked doesn't make someone a genius.

If he is as bad as you state then why did the organization select him as their HC a couple of years ago?

Chicago would be the perfect place for him. Strong D and weak O, just like they like.

Chicago's defense is horrendous. Like, really, really awful. They do have, on paper anyways, a very talented offense, minus offensive line. We all know how well Marrone did with the O-line in Buffalo...

John, I don't buy this at all. In Chan Gailey's last year the OL was more than serviceable. Under Marrone's "tutelage" every player on that line regressed, and he did nothing to develop the numerous bodies they brought in through FA and the draft. It appears he was stubborn and impatient, and I believe it's safe to say he didn't want to put the time in to developing a QB.

It's not "risky" to realize that Sammy Watkins and CJ Spiller need the ball in their hands. It's not "risky" to use Mike Williams in the red zone because he has a height advantage and can go after jump balls.

Why would Marrone play an injured Watkins in a meaningless preseason game? To prove a point about how tough he is? That was absurd.

All of your other comments about how and why Marrone left are fine and make sense -- he didn't like the way things were going here so he opted out. But I don't for one moment give him a "pass" on how he ran the offense.

One of the disappointing things to me was the lack of adjustments he seemed to make during the game. I saw a stat that the Bills ranked 31st

in second half yards per play avg when the score was within 8 points. It was frustrating to watch. I feel the defensive side, however, seemed to make visible adjustments in the 2nd half (no stats on that, just my eyeballs)

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bingo!!!

+1 Best post I read all day