Why so negative after winning season?

artmalibu

+1

I agree. It seems like the goal for the Bills is just to make it to the playoffs, while the goal should be to win the Super Bowl.

That's my biggest problem with our current mindset. Pats, Broncos, Colts, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens fans don't talk about the goal of making the playoffs. They talk about the goal of winning the Super Bowl. Until we stop thinking about "what do we need to do to make the playoffs" and start thinking about "what do we need to do to win the Super Bowl" (and until we have a QB) it's all just masturbation. This year felt nice to finish above .500 and lower the Browns' pick to the next to lowest non playoff pick after all their gloating about a sure top 10 pick, but realistically I don't see any difference between 6-10 and 9-7 other than the Vikings, Lions & Bears games went our way when they very easily could have gone the other way.

That's my biggest problem with our current mindset. Pats, Broncos, Colts, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens fans don't talk about the goal of making the playoffs. They talk about the goal of winning the Super Bowl. Until we stop thinking about "what do we need to do to make the playoffs" and start thinking about "what do we need to do to win the Super Bowl" (and until we have a QB) it's all just masturbation. This year felt nice to finish above .500 and lower the Browns' pick to the next to lowest non playoff pick after all their gloating about a sure top 10 pick, but realistically I don't see any difference between 6-10 and 9-7 other than the Vikings, Lions & Bears games went our way when they very easily could have gone the other way.

Which one of these is not like the others...

What's wrong with the goal being "make the playoffs"? Geez, yes EVERYONE wants to win the SB but you can't get there until you have a playoff caliber team.

This team hasn't been in the tournament for 15 years. It's OK to root for playoffs then go from there. The mindset won't stop being to win the SB but you sorta need to get off the playoff schneid to get there.

their goal is to win the the SB because they have franchise QBs and have no excuse not to at least make the playoffs.

What's wrong with the goal being "make the playoffs"? Geez, yes EVERYONE wants to win the SB but you can't get there until you have a playoff caliber team.

This team hasn't been in the tournament for 15 years. It's OK to root for playoffs then go from there. The mindset won't stop being to win the SB but you sorta need to get off the playoff schneid to get there.

yes the playoff would have been GREAT, but 9-7 was an improvement so you have to go with what you got.

you want to be grumpy and ticked off, go ahead. I'd rather look at the glass half full and be satisfied with a decent result especially now that Orton is gone!!!

yes the playoff would have been GREAT, but 9-7 was an improvement so you have to go with what you got.

you want to be grumpy and ticked off, go ahead. I'd rather look at the glass half full and be satisfied with a decent result especially now that Orton is gone!!!

I'm not grumpy at all. I'm happy with the improvement. I'm speaking to the people that only want a SB...and making playoffs mindset not being good enough.

their goal is to win the the SB because they have franchise QBs and have no excuse not to at least make the playoffs.

There is a point though that the team will plateau out at the level of expectation reflected in the talk

In Romonowski's controversial book, he talks about SF in the Superbowl years where everything - every snap from OTAs through Training camp - was "this is what we have to do to become World Champions. The whole team bought into it, all the extra work, extra film, extra workouts, "this is what we need to do to become world championships"

Then he went elsewhere - Iggles? and it was "our goal this season is to make the playoffs" and he was like "WTF?" and the team made the playoffs and that was it. Yep, met our goal, done.

Which one of these is not like the others...

Fair enough, but after their current string of appearances their goal is at least win a playoff game, not just show up and get drilled by Andrew Luck.

Which is basically my point. When you don't have a QB there's not much difference between 6-10 and 9-7, both leave you picking between second tier prospects. There's been one common theme in each year of our "streak". Our goal should be "find a QB" and then everything else will naturally fall into place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with our season, but like I mentioned the reasons are actually posting a winning record and shoving it in Browns' fans faces. String together a bunch of 9-7 seasons that end in week 17 and those feelings disappear pretty quickly. Ask Bengals fans how they feel about their team right about now.

I'm not negative. I am anxious.... anxious about the turmoil at OBD... anxious about our QB situation... anxious about the HC search.

But I am also hopeful. Change can be negative. It can be neutral. And it can be good. This is a great opportunity for the Pegulas to make their mark on the team.

Why so negative after winning season? Really..

First wining season in 10 years and so much negativity!!

So the QB who was not so good anyway retires. Thats good that there is no way Orton will go into next season as the starter. They will have to find someone to compete with EJ.

So the coach leaves that many didnt like anyway, and it seems as if the players didnt think much of him either. When they hired Doug I bet a lot of guys would not want to coach in Buffalo. Now, the roster is better, and no cap problems. I think its easier to get a good coach now than 3 years ago.

Should still have a very good defense even if Jerry leaves, and Kiko will be back too.

Ok, no first round pick but many dont believe that the missing link QB is in this years draft.

I cant remember that last time after a season ended that I truly thought that next year could be double digit wins!

GO BILLS

2004 was the first winning season in 5 years back then. You can see the results since then. We maxed out at 9 wins and it likely wouldn't have been a winning season if the final game had meant anything at all to the Pats.

As the first respondent said, the coaching hire will determine the mood in here. Why do I see Kyle Shanahan being our next coach.

2004 was the first winning season in 5 years back then. You can see the results since then. We maxed out at 9 wins and it likely wouldn't have been a winning season if the final game had meant anything at all to the Pats.

As the first respondent said, the coaching hire will determine the mood in here. Why do I see Kyle Shanahan being our next coach.

Considering your lack of perspective or ability to analyze the situation properly, I'd wager your vision of Kyle becoming coach are probably as inaccurate as everything else you post. ;)

The guy who led the Bills to their best season in a decade is still here. Jim Schwartz is still under contract. But thanks for stopping by, Doug -- er, I mean Mojo.

Thank you.

You know, if you cut off the top of one of the o's, swapped the j for the g, which sounds the same in certain words, traded the D for the M, which isn't all that far fetched because they're both a key element to Doug Marrone's initials, and then rearranged the letters, MOJO = DOUG.

Coincidence?

Amazing how Lombardi managed to win the first two Super Bowls without a franchise QB.

Moreover, taking nothing away from the position of QB, what good is a franchise QB if he plays in front of a shell shocked, injury plagued O-line in disarray? A defense in name only? A receiving core with stone hands? RB's who get more yardage running off the field after yet another 3 & out series of downs?, etc., etc...my only idea of a franchise QB is Joe Montana or Tom Brady, otherwise any other QB is only as good as his teammates' timely contributions. Franchise? when a QB can walk on water, and win a Super Bowl in his sleep then I'll crown him franchise, otherwise, he is simply part of a total team effort, no offense to any prima donnas out there who think otherwise (Cutler, RG3, Johnny "bigmouth', etc. you know who you are...grow up! Play the game for your teammates, not your social media following, &%$#$ clowns).

Franchise QB my arse. The wise thing to do is go with EJ, draft a QB in the latter rounds (think Tom Brady), add a seasoned veteran with some zip in his arm and bounce in his step to insure the team is shored up adequately at the QB position (but to mortgage the old homestead for a franchise QB, pffft). To think we need a franchise QB to be competitive is to suggest Lombardi was lucky with the lowly drafted Bart Starr. It takes a great deal more than mere luck and a franchise QB to compete in the NFL. Some coaches know this, obviously Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone doesn't get it. Total waste of the organization's time this year w/his inept handling of stunting EJ's growth, the same EJ who could easily eclipse offensive records IF he had a smart. innovative coach akin to the likes of Chip Kelly.

Once again we have no answer for the QB position and we're looking at an incredibly weak draft and free agent class for QBs. Our best QB right now is EJ Manuel and that's basically by default. EJ was supposed to show signs of improvement in year two and the kid was benched after 4 games.

Our next HC is going to be significant on whether or not he can turn chicken **** into chicken salad as far as our QB situation is concerned.

Gonna have to bring back Chan Gailey for that!

This was a winning season in name only. No way the Bills would have gone to Foxboro and won if the Pats had a reason to play.

And, although they beat some quality opponents, but then fell flat on their faces in games they should have won (KC and Oakland).

Have any of our losing seasons been losing seasons in name only? You are what your record says you are. I find it fascinating that the same people who parrot this at 6-10 all of a sudden have qualifiers for the principle when the Bills are 9-7.

Edited by GunnerBill

This was a winning season in name only. No way the Bills would have gone to Foxboro and won if the Pats had a reason to play.

And, although they beat some quality opponents, but then fell flat on their faces in games they should have won (KC and Oakland).

I Thought the hoody* was going to fall asleep on the sidelines in the 4th quarter of that game.

GO RAVENS PLEASE!!!!!!!

The guy who led the Bills to their best season in a decade is still here. Jim Schwartz is still under contract. But thanks for stopping by, Doug -- er, I mean Mojo.

Exactly. New England game was a giveaway, so that puts us at 8-8 in my book. Green Bay receivers dropped everything or that game is a blowout (Alex Van Pelt said that but he was right), and if Detroit kicker hits ONE out of FIVE field goals we are quickly a 6-10 team.

I would be much more concerned if Schwartz left than Marrone. I think it bodes well for the team. New HC, new OC, lets crank it up next season. Fix the Oline (sign Mike Lupati the niners guard, yes we'll have to overpay, but do it anyway) and get busy winning!

Exactly. New England game was a giveaway, so that puts us at 8-8 in my book. Green Bay receivers dropped everything or that game is a blowout (Alex Van Pelt said that but he was right), and if Detroit kicker hits ONE out of FIVE field goals we are quickly a 6-10 team.

I would be much more concerned if Schwartz left than Marrone. I think it bodes well for the team. New HC, new OC, lets crank it up next season. Fix the Oline (sign Mike Lupati the niners guard, yes we'll have to overpay, but do it anyway) and get busy winning!

even though they "gave it away" they did so in the 2nd half. Brady did little in the first half to actually guarantee the win.

I, for one, want the Pats to win on Saturday -- then they won't get as high of a draft choice next season. :rolleyes:

Plus, even though the Pats may have cheated, they still haven't murdered anyone or beat their fiancées on an elevator. They just have Gronk "visiting" adult film stars...

I, for one, want the Pats to win on Saturday -- then they won't get as high of a draft choice next season. :rolleyes:

Plus, even though the Pats may have cheated, they still haven't murdered anyone or beat their fiancées on an elevator. They just have Gronk "visiting" adult film stars...

booo hiss

I want the Putrids to choke and burn in a big time loss to the Ravens!!!!

ummm Aaron Hernandez

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-rising-star-aaron-hernandez-now-set-murder-181316060--nfl.html;_ylt=A0LEV7wI165UbzsA8Q0PxQt.

Hernandez is accused of killing Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old semiprofessional football player from Boston who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee. Lloyd was found shot to death June 17, 2013, in an industrial park near Hernandez's home in North Attleborough.

booo hiss

I want the Putrids to choke and burn in a big time loss to the Ravens!!!!

ummm Aaron Hernandez

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-rising-star-aaron-hernandez-now-set-murder-181316060--nfl.html;_ylt=A0LEV7wI165UbzsA8Q0PxQt.

Hernandez is accused of killing Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old semiprofessional football player from Boston who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee. Lloyd was found shot to death June 17, 2013, in an industrial park near Hernandez's home in North Attleborough.

Oh yeah. Forgot about him ... but I guess he won't have a career on ESPN ...

ROTFLMAO

Oh yeah. Forgot about him ... but I guess he won't have a career on ESPN ...

I also recall Patriot O Lineman I think was busted for dealing large quantities of pot.

back in 2008

Starting New England Patriots offensive lineman Nicholas Kaczur was arrested in April on a charge of illegal possession of prescription painkillers and then secretly cooperated with the federal Drug Enforcement Administration in a sting operation that resulted in the indictment of his alleged drug supplier, according to a lawyer and two people briefed on the investigation

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/06/04/patriot_arrested_then_aids_drug_sting/

some serious schit going down with Putrids players under Belicheats nose

+1

I agree. It seems like the goal for the Bills is just to make it to the playoffs, while the goal should be to win the Super Bowl.

Before we can even think about the SB, we've got to be able make it to the playoffs first. Gotta take it one step at a time.

A lot of good stuff here, even if we dont all have the same opinions.

Winning season against a pretty tough schedule. The AFC west and NFC north were some of the tougher divisions imo. The strength of schedule games didnt work out well for then in the sense that being a last place team they pulled the Browns at 7 and 9 and the Texans at 9 and 7. No excuses but if the Bills had the schedule that some other teams maybe another win or so.

Either way I dont feel that the two "losses" of coach or QB were by no means the strength of the team.

Before we can even think about the SB, we've got to be able make it to the playoffs first. Gotta take it one step at a time.

The goal for anyone should be to be best, especially in sports. Setting a goal just to make it to the playoffs is a losers mentality.

even though they "gave it away" they did so in the 2nd half. Brady did little in the first half to actually guarantee the win.

brady had little interest in the game I watched? gronk was in street clothes. What Game did you watch? He could care less and it showed. main worry was do not get injured. Edited by Best Player Available

Why so negative after winning season?

I think after 15 years most fans understand that we aren't going anywhere without a QB. You'd have to go back to the Jauron years to find a worse QB situation than we're in right now, and based on the dumpster fire of a FA QB crop out there, it probably isn't going to get much better anytime soon.