Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

I believe Doug Whaley, wants to hire his next HC that would follow by his rules. I do now feel that EJ didn't got the support from the coaching staff. But I also hope that Whaley don't get his hopes to high with EJ and draft another QB,FA or trade for one. When we do get another HC "again" he be able to get EJ going and CJ "if he resign"

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of sophistry right there. The fact remains that the GM said they planned to make the playoffs (hence the Watkins trade) and they did not do so. The new narrative being pushed here is that it was Marrone and/or the staff (specifically offensive) for not having a better offense.

Is there enough talent on offense right now to win? Because now the debate has devolved into blaming it entirely on coaches without much focus on talent. Whether or not players regress isn't necessarily a coaching thing anyway. Ever get behind in games and lose motivation? Because the Bills have had a lot of that over the years.

I guess people forget the team has tried guys like Colin Brown, Kraig Urbik, Chris Williams, Cyril Richardson, and Erik Pears at guard in the past 2 years. Can coaching improve those guys to play against outstanding interior OL? Nah, couldn't be.

When things go wrong, it's usually someone in management's fault. It's partially the fault of the coaches, but would there be as many issues if the team could have found decent guards and figured out the QB on the first shot? Probably not.

So point Whaley in the direction of where he could have found a QB on his first shot.

Whaley throwing Marrone and by extension Hackett under the bus...

Does he really believe this, or is it simply him trying to save face with the Pegula's that he knew what he was doing and his plan just wasn't carried out properly by the coaching staff? I'm on the fence on this one...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bills-gm-blaming-manuel-s-struggles-on-coaching-to-prospective-hires-163912593.html

I believe Doug Whaley, wants to hire his next HC that would follow by his rules. I do now feel that EJ didn't got the support from the coaching staff. But I also hope that Whaley don't get his hopes to high with EJ and draft another QB,FA or trade for one. When we do get another HC "again" he be able to get EJ going and CJ "if he resign"

Wise statement relative to Whaley not putting all of his eggs in one basket w/EJ, but something tells me though Whaley is much smarter than that.

Where I hope the team's new HC will actually give EJ a fair opportunity to earn his keep, I believe Whaley will be smart enough to tap a diamond in the rough QB in the later rounds of the coming Draft, and bringing in a seasoned veteran QB via FA/trade who is genuinely interested in helping EJ shore up his game, while all the while being an insurance policy should his services be needed. IF given time to make some key moves--without the drama of Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone and his inept OC--I believe Whaley can resolve the situation at the QB position for years to come. What a senseless waste of time this year with St. Doug and his predictable 3 & out shuffle...can only imagine what the right HC & OC can do to develop EJ and elevate his game. EJ was a victim of bad "coaching".

The usual suspects would like us to fire the President, the GM, the scouts, the Head Coach, all the assistant coaches and the Quarterback and all the other players every single off season until we make the play-offs. Because folks that is how to build a winner.

Does he really believe this, or is it simply him trying to save face with the Pegula's that he knew what he was doing and his plan just wasn't carried out properly by the coaching staff? I'm on the fence on this one...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bills-gm-blaming-manuel-s-struggles-on-coaching-to-prospective-hires-163912593.html

Whaley Nails It!

There's no way anyone would think IF the likes of Chip Kelly was developing EJ rather than Marrone & his inept OC that EJ wouldn't have blossomed into the winner he is capable of being in the NFL.

Jim Plunkett found a way to overcome the doubters, found himself blessed with the right coaches and won a Super Bowl. Sometimes it's not the player at fault as much as his inept coaches in EJ's case. Chip Kelly would have had EJ amassing numbers unheard of, but EJ got saddled w/Matexty instead.

Edited by Lombardi1

Whaley Nails It!

There's no way anyone would think IF the likes of Chip Kelly was developing EJ rather than Marrone & his inept OC that EJ wouldn't have blossomed into the winner he is capable of being in the NFL.

Jim Plunkett found a way to overcome the doubters, found himself blessed with the right coaches and won a Super Bowl. Sometimes it's not the player at fault as much as his inept coaches in EJ's case. Chip Kelly would have had EJ amassing numbers unheard of, but EJ got saddled w/Matexty instead.

Chip Kelly turned Sanchez into a winner. And he developed 2014 Foles.

I don't think Whaley throws all his eggs in on EJ. Pegula already said he read some book that said draft a qb every year. We also have to bring in a backup vet who will undoubtedly be the most popular guy on the team next august. So we will draft a guy and sign a free agent...maybe there is a trade as well. You can't give up so quick on a first rounder but he hasn't shown the consistency to be the guy either. So, I like they're still trying to see if they have a guy but they better get a couple guys in there to push him hard.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455062/article/report-bills-gm-wants-next-coach-to-revive-ej-manuel

I honestly think we might lose out a good HC now. I don't like how DW is doing this. If i was a HC and they want me to develop EJ and i want my own QB then i wouldn't take the bills job.

Well first of all Timmah Graham sez the Pegulas are making the hiring decision and Whaley is just "coordinating" the search. So either Timmah is full of it, or Vic Carruci (whose byline is on the Buf News article cited as the source) is full of it. BTW, is it just me or do ya'll hate how news organizations cite each other as sources these days? Get off your frannies Gentlemen and do your own research, OK? Don't just regurgitate what the other guy dug up.

Second, the devil is always in the details. It's not a secret that the Bills are without a clear QB incumbant and a 1st round draft pick and the FA market is weak. Any HC candidate worth his salt is going to want some inside dope on the Bills plans for this position. GM Doug Whaley, as the guy in charge of the 53 man roster, is entitled to present his professional evaluation of the quality of each guy on that roster, and the HC candidate is likely to expect him to do this esp. wrt QB.

Unless the Bills have no other plans at QB (such as sign the best FA available and draft a guy in the 2-4th round), I can't see it putting off a HC candidate worth having. A man taking the job has to understand where he stands.

OTOH, if the Bills in fact have no other plans beyond EJ, then they still suck as an organization and we deserve to lose good HC candidates.

He stated a pretty clear plan between his words and actions. Marrone certainly didn't follow that vision. It's been a discussion for months. Even the benching was "I went into whaleys office and told him I wouldn't be playing EJ" and not "we evaluated qb and made a decision" and then "I'll be playing orton unless the front office forces otherwise" (neither exact quotes)

I hope the new guy does give EJ a fair shot. I know Pegula will want to do what's best for the team to make the playoffs. If there is an opportunity to bring in a better quarterback, I believe they will do that. I don't believe that EJ is done. i don't even know that he's dug in as a starter.

We shall see. Keep the D together no matter what.

Chip Kelly turned Sanchez into a winner. And he developed 2014 Foles.

I think 2014 Foles shows the Philly qbs are the ones mostly responsible for how the philly qbs perform

unless Chip just forgot to magically make Foles play like a probowler again

I don't think there is any such thing as a qb whisperer. Bills need to find a great qb, not a great qb coach.