Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455062/article/report-bills-gm-wants-next-coach-to-revive-ej-manuel

I honestly think we might lose out a good HC now. I don't like how DW is doing this. If i was a HC and they want me to develop EJ and i want my own QB then i wouldn't take the bills job.

I posted this in another thread but it is certainly a recruiting tool. Would someone take the job if the GM said, "the guy that we drafted in the 1st round can't play. He's our only option though?" What he is telling candidates is, "EJ has been coming along great but Marrone was too stubborn to use him. It was a big mistake on the previous staff." That is definitely a part of this equation. He wants the candidates to think that they are walking into a much better QB situation than they are.

What else would you expect? They scouted EJ and decided he was worthy of a #1 pick. Do you think they will just throw him away after 14 starts?

You would assume that, if all of the coaching candidates are telling them that EJ is unsalvageable, then the Pegulas would take that to heart and either dump Whaley or get him to put a plan together to upgrade the position. But if one of these innovative, offensive minds thinks he can make something out of EJ, that seems to make the most sense.

I know a lot of the 'experts' at TBD have already decided that EJ is garbage and can never improve. I believe it is wise to the Bills to still have an open mind. They already wasted a 2015 first round pick to move up for Sammy last year, it isn't wise to throw their 2013 in the garbage heap so quickly.

Not to mention that there is a terrifying lack of QB options available to them if they do decide EJ is beyond repair.

Time will tell.

I personally like the idea of Bevell, Reich, Hue Jackson or even Kyle Shanahan working with EJ. I imagine the Bills won't put all of their eggs in one basket, so I expect them to bring in a free agent (I like Mallett) and draft one (no clue who, I don't follow college ball very closely).

Edited by Maddog69

I posted this in another thread but it is certainly a recruiting tool. Would someone take the job if the GM said, "the guy that we drafted in the 1st round can't play. He's our only option though?" What he is telling candidates is, "EJ has been coming along great but Marrone was too stubborn to use him. It was a big mistake on the previous staff." That is definitely a part of this equation. He wants the candidates to think that they are walking into a much better QB situation than they are.

Everyone interviewing for the HC job is not going to take Whaleys word for it when speaking of Manuel. They have eyes and can look and judge for themselves. I can't imagine Whaley would even bother saying something as petty as "EJ has been coming along great but Marrone was too stubborn to use him. It was a big mistake on the previous staff."

Edited by CodeMonkey

and ive said a few times -- until we see some guys cut, who is the better prospect out there?

if EJ were in oakland and played the same the last two years hed be on our short list of guys we hope to have a shot at.

additionally, if that is the prototype qb for Whaley, whether its EJ or a draft pick next year atleast the coach will be on the same page as the GM with the type of prospect they want.

Everyone interviewing for the HC job is not going to take Whaleys word for it when speaking of Manuel. They have eyes and can look and judge for themselves. I can't imagine Whaley would even bother saying something as petty as "EJ has been coming along great but Marrone was too stubborn to use him. It was a big mistake on the previous staff."

I promise that this is going on. Whether or not he believes it is a different story. It is a recruiting battle for these coaches just like it is in the NCAA. You need to play up your product. The biggest hesitation that a coach has on the Bills job IS the QB situation. They need to downplay it as a weakness as best they can.

additionally, if that is the prototype qb for Whaley, whether its EJ or a draft pick next year atleast the coach will be on the same page as the GM with the type of prospect they want.

That's an interesting point. I have wondered if it is best for a GM to get players that fit his vision and hire a HC that shares that vision, or for a GM to hire a great HC and work with that HC to acquire players that fit the HCs vision. I have always considered the latter to be best, but it could be the former I guess.

This is an interesting perspective that hasn't crossed my mind. I bet that Whaley LOVES Mariota with that being said. Cardale Jones would seemingly be another that would intrigue him if that were the case. Edited by Kirby Jackson

He's never going to say that.

He's going to say that EJ had brand new HC and brand new OC as a rookie, with no QB coach. Then got hurt in training camp. He never really had a full rookie season and there wasn't time or resources to develop him. The second year he had all these voices in his head telling him not to make mistakes and we think it held him back. By the fourth week, even though he was 2-2 against three top defenses, we made a decision to go with the vet. And there wasn't time over the last 12 weeks to devote to him. He was a project coming out of college with a lot of talent and tools. We think with the proper development he can be a very solid starter in this league. We are bringing in one or two other Qbs to compete with him.

Yea compete... But he better not be the focal point.

Do you have a suggestion for who should be the focal point?

It is easy to say, but there aren't many options that are definitely available.

A lot of people mention Brqadford, RG3, Foles or Cutler. There is an excellent chance that none of them are available. The list of pending UFAs is uninspiring, to say the least.

So, you hate EJ. Who is your better option at this point?

This is an interesting perspective that hasn't crossed my mind. I bet that Whaley LOVES Mariota with that being said. Cardalle Jones would seemingly be another that would intrigue him if that were the case.

If Jones starts next year (will be tough to keep him off the field even if he doesn't win on Monday because Barrett still has 3 years of eligibility; Miller likely transferring) he will be compared to Cam Newton in skill set. It will be interesting to see what he looks like with a full year of experience.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He's never going to say that.

He's going to say that EJ had brand new HC and brand new OC as a rookie, with no QB coach. Then got hurt in training camp. He never really had a full rookie season and there wasn't time or resources to develop him. The second year he had all these voices in his head telling him not to make mistakes and we think it held him back. By the fourth week, even though he was 2-2 against three top defenses, we made a decision to go with the vet. And there wasn't time over the last 12 weeks to devote to him. He was a project coming out of college with a lot of talent and tools. We think with the proper development he can be a very solid starter in this league. We are bringing in one or two other Qbs to compete with him.

Very logical.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

EJ deserves to compete for the starting job. I don't understand how anyone would disagree with that.

you really believe that from the posters here?? LOL

-------------

its year 3 and time for EJ to perform now or get demoted to #3 or released next season.

I still think he can perform better than a QB yanked out of his retirement.

Orton knew his career was over. EJ has something to strive for.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever