Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Whaley doesn't think he's a bust, why should he offer that opinion to anyone? He has confidence and ego just like any coach.

You may not agree with it, but this guy did unearth Jerry Hughes from bust status, too. I'd rather bring in a coach with an open mind who will try to use our only QB's skill set - while we keep trying to improve the position. I see zero benefit to bringing in a coach who thinks we need to go shopping for 3 QBs.

that's funny because his rookie season sure wasn't any worse than those of a lot of better NFL QBs. I know it's fashion around here to act like he's behind Craig Nall and Billy Joe Hobert in the pantheon of Bills QBs. But he's not.

He didn't play much his rookie year and when he did, appeared pretty lost out there. Comparing him that season to "a lot of better NFL QBs" is a real stretch.

He didn't play much his rookie year and when he did, appeared pretty lost out there. Comparing him that season to "a lot of better NFL QBs" is a real stretch.

he played in 10 of 16 games his rookie year. How does that become "he didn't play much his rookie year?" He did not appear "pretty lost out there " every time he played. He appeared lost at times, in certain games. He was a rookie, it is normal. I'm not saying EJ is destined for greatness but come on.

he played in 10 of 16 games his rookie year. How does that become "he didn't play much his rookie year?" He did not appear "pretty lost out there " every time he played. He appeared lost at times, in certain games. He was a rookie, it is normal. I'm not saying EJ is destined for greatness but come on.

It's amazing to me that people talk and act like EJ never completed a pass, or made a good play, let alone played well enough to win a game.

Uh, Jerruh unearthed Rolando McClain and it looks like a stroke of genius.....that doesn't make him a guru. Something about the sun and dog's posterior........

OK. Put in your resume. Obviously Jerry Hughes is the only good discovery made by Whaley and he should be fired yesterday.

It's amazing to me that people talk and act like EJ never completed a pass, or made a good play, let alone played well enough to win a game.

I think most believe that there was a steady decline in his play over his career. Or he just got unlucky and had worse games later.

I think most believe that there was a steady decline in his play over his career. Or he just got unlucky and had worse games later.

I think rookie jitters, opposition adjustments, injury and being coached to avoid injury and risk probably played equal parts.

I'm willing to admit I could be wrong and that EJ might not have it, but I highly dispute the notion that that is the open-and-shut case that some are making it out to be here.

You have to have a very high belief in Marrone and his offensive team to believe that EJ was unsalvageably bad on his own. Orton's own precipitous decline as a Bill suggests to me that there is more to that story.

I think rookie jitters, opposition adjustments, injury and being coached to avoid injury and risk probably played equal parts.

I'm willing to admit I could be wrong and that EJ might not have it, but I highly dispute the notion that that is the open-and-shut case that some are making it out to be here.

You have to have a very high belief in Marrone and his offensive team to believe that EJ was unsalvageably bad on his own. Orton's own precipitous decline as a Bill suggests to me that there is more to that story.

I don't think EJ is certainly done for either. I just think that with his play declining, resulting in a benching, it is understandable that some have lost faith. He hasn't played well enough lately to reaffirm the faith in him.

nothing wrong with trying to sell potential coaches on EJ, which I think is what Whaley is doing....

Obviously they will have questions about the Bills QB position, and Whaley is going to try to sell the situation as better than it appears.

It's nothing more than that. EJ lost the locker room this season and St. Doug had to pull the trigger.

Have we forgotten that it was the EJ show all last offseason, through OTA's, through camp, and he looked HORRIBLE pretty much the entire time to the point where they went to the bar and dragged Orton out of retirement, can of chew and Jack bottle in hand?

Edited by TheFunPolice

I don't think EJ is certainly done for either. I just think that with his play declining, resulting in a benching, it is understandable that some have lost faith. He hasn't played well enough lately to reaffirm the faith in him.

I understand that fully.

Just think it's a bit crazy to write him off completely - especially when he's the only shot in town. I'm with Kelly who has said something to the effect that he might have a 10-30% chance of success. Not very good odds but I'd be more comfortable that he could game manage, with his skill set, than Jeff Tuel for example.

And while I understand the impulse to charge into Whaley's office with pitchforks, Kolb's career-ending injuries and Orton's retirement would seem to have been worse-case scenarios. Those are hopefully the kinds of things that a guy like Whaley can learn from. I'm convinced from his full body of work that he will.

I understand that fully.

Just think it's a bit crazy to write him off completely - especially when he's the only shot in town. I'm with Kelly who has said something to the effect that he might have a 10-30% chance of success. Not very good odds but I'd be more comfortable that he could game manage, with his skill set, than Jeff Tuel for example.

And while I understand the impulse to charge into Whaley's office with pitchforks, Kolb's career-ending injuries and Orton's retirement would seem to have been worse-case scenarios. Those are hopefully the kinds of things that a guy like Whaley can learn from. I'm convinced from his full body of work that he will.

Whaley seems like a guy with a lot of contingency plans. I think a viable starter will be brought in.

Nothing he could do with Kolb, and Orton. Whaley probably had a list of QB's he would possibly pursue in 2015 that he wrote 2 years ago.

He played well enough to win the Bear game, which was the first of the season, including a game winning drive in OT where he threw a great 20 yard pass to get into Bear territory. Then he was better the next game against Miami, and Sammy had a 8-117-1 game. He wasn't great by any means but the point is he improved from week one to week two and we won both games. He poorly against the Chargers but we were in a position to win the next week, too, even though he had two bad games in a row. But the fact is, he played against three tough defenses in four games. The Dolphins had just beat the Patriots. The Chargers were undefeated. The Texans were playing good and sometimes great defense.

He wasn't good. He was missing open receivers. He looked rattled at times. But he didn't completely suck.

He played well enough to win the Bear game, which was the first of the season, including a game winning drive in OT where he threw a great 20 yard pass to get into Bear territory. Then he was better the next game against Miami, and Sammy had a 8-117-1 game. He wasn't great by any means but the point is he improved from week one to week two and we won both games. He poorly against the Chargers but we were in a position to win the next week, too, even though he had two bad games in a row. But the fact is, he played against three tough defenses in four games. The Dolphins had just beat the Patriots. The Chargers were undefeated. The Texans were playing good and sometimes great defense.

He wasn't good. He was missing open receivers. He looked rattled at times. But he didn't completely suck.

And I think the Texans game plan did nothing to help him succeed.

And I think the Texans game plan did nothing to help him succeed.

It was terrible. I bitched about the offensive coaching the entire year, and a lot of the stuff that has come out in the last month lends a lot of credence to it.

Wood yesterday in the D&C was basically trashing Marrone for how the OL played, making Pears move, benching Urbik and then moving his position, starting Seantrel where he wasnt prepared. He said moving people around hurt them a lot. That was stupid. The Pears experiment was a monumental disaster and that is 100% on Marrone.

It was terrible. I bitched about the offensive coaching the entire year, and a lot of the stuff that has come out in the last month lends a lot of credence to it.

Wood yesterday in the D&C was basically trashing Marrone for how the OL played, making Pears move, benching Urbik and then moving his position, starting Seantrel where he wasnt prepared. He said moving people around hurt them a lot. That was stupid. The Pears experiment was a monumental disaster and that is 100% on Marrone.

As far as I'm concerned everything to do with that OL is on Marrone. It was his baby, and he treated it like a mother with Munchausen by Proxy syndrome.

I will never understand moving a 6'8, 32 year old career OT to Guard. Wtf.