Fred Jackson discusses Marrone vs. Hackett

5 Wide

Listening to Fred Jackson this morning, it seems that he just answered a question so many of us were wondering throughout the year, was the mundane, predictable playcalling more the fault of Hackett, or Marrone?

WGR 550 ‏@WGR550 4m4 minutes ago

Jackson: Nate Hackett has always been an aggressive guy...he couldn't always do what he wanted to. Some of the stuff he wanted to call didn't get called in the game"

This doesn't completely clear Hackett, but it shows who was really pulling the strings on offense.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That pretty much confirms what we all suspected anyway. Marrone was holding back Hackett as well as the offense. I hope he gets a chance to really prove himself to be a competent OC even if it has to be somewhere else (other than the AFC East).

The first game against the Jets where we could have scored 60 points, they kept running and punting or kicking field goals.I always felt Marrone's reason for hiring a young coordinator with no experience was he wanted someone he could control (the guy is complete control freak).Still we need this area improved and perhaps Hackett can go and be Marrone's caddy at his new job.

Marrone will try to bring Hackett along with him to New York, or to whichever team is dumb enough to attract his services.

The question is will Hackett go with him knowing that he will probably be just his puppet? Not that this question will keep me from sleeping at night.

According to Fred they all loved playing for Hackett -- absolutely sounds as though he (NH) was hamstrung by Marrone's conservatism.

Fred made the statement that NH is "a guy that likes to go big or go home...I don't know if that was always his call (what did get called)."

Pretty damning. I don't know why we wouldn't trust Fred on this.