Are the Pegulas in Over Their Heads?

jjmac

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be the worst column Sullivan has ever written. He's officially become a parody of himself. I had to stop reading when he actually seemed to be lamenting Marrone's departure just because it cost the Bills a chance at Polian. Isn't the fact that Polian ran the Colts into the ground at the end of his tenure there a red flag? Isn't the fact that he only wanted to come back to Buffalo if Marrone and Orton were in place a red flag?

Marrone's leaving was nothing but a money grab, and listening to the media of how he would be such a hot commodity in the free agent coaching market. I think Brandon is a good marketing guy, and IMO Whaley is going to be a great GM as time goes on. If someone was to offer me Watkins for the 19th pick in the draft, I give them the 19th pick. This article is nothing more than Sullivan throwing poop in the air and proclaiming the front office stinks.

I wouldn't be lamenting everything that has transpired recently to much, as I feel there is a lot of time left in the off season to add a team adviser / president for the football side of the operations. The time between when the playoffs end and the draft in April.

The Bills owners are involved in the coaching search does bother me a bit, but they could be involved just to say no thanks until they hire an adviser or team president. Bill Polian, Ron Wolf, Ernie Accorsi, and Charley Casserly aren't the only people on the planet who could be a senior adviser. Mike Holmgren, Bill Parcells, Carl Peterson etc, etc, etc.

The new owners could also be waiting for the playoffs to end to offer a job to someone like Packers GM Ted Thompson or Seahawks GM John Schneider and promote them to team president of football operations.

I guess we will just have to wait and see before we fling ourselves off a tall building.

I agree with you Enemarty. I don't hate everything Sullivan has to say, always...but I do feel like he could have waited a week or two to see how this thing turns out, before, typically, pulling the fire alarm. Everything he says could turn out to be true, or he could be completely off the mark. I guarantee though, the Bills will have another head coach, and we will all have our hopes up by September, even if the likes of Sullivan, Gleason, Simon, White and Schoop try their hardest to drag us down. Those are the guys I find to be the most consistent buzz killers.

Though I am not shedding any tears over Marrone's departure (I was keeping an open mind on him after year one, but was decidedly not a fan as this season wore on), I do agree, to a point, with Marrones' assessment that the local Buffalo media is insanely negative. And I realize to, as everyone has mentioned, Marrone and his thin skin won't hold up well in New Jersey....but that area still has only 24 hours in a day, and so many more things to be pissed off about...at least more than the second rate NFL team in the area..maybe the 5th or 6th most popular of the 9 pro sports teams in the area.

I was looking forward to this past season as much as any as I had in a long, long time...I can tell you, the GR guys (who I don't even necessarily dislike) had me feeling like this season was lost from week one in training camp. I know it isn't their job to sell me on the Bills, or to gloss over their warts...but, Christ, they just dwell on stuff and blow every tiny thing out of proportion. I think most coaches wouldn't pay a hell a lot of attention, but for whatever reason, Marrone did. I just stopped listening to them every day, a few weeks into training camp. Howard & Jeremy were just awful to listen to... and it has been pretty much the same with the Buffalo News. I have a feeling Jerry just couldn't wait to quote himself for this column...so maybe that is the reason for his rush to judgment on the new ownership.

Edited by Buftex

We have a GM interviewing prospective coaching candidates. The list looks pretty good. After we hire a coach we have Free Agency and the draft, including possible trades to improve the offense. Where is the chaos?

This consultant thing is ridiculous and getting out of hand. We have a GM. Let him do his job.

We have a GM interviewing prospective coaching candidates. The list looks pretty good. After we hire a coach we have Free Agency and the draft, including possible trades to improve the offense. Where is the chaos?

This consultant thing is ridiculous and getting out of hand. We have a GM. Let him do his job.

I'm sure the owners would have preferred an uneventful transition. Good for then for calling the HC's bluff. As for the blood in the water, it's Sullivan's. That hack would cut open his own arm in a shatk tank for a story. Things are.a bit chaotic, but it's certainly not the end of the world.

Edited by Rivermont Mike

Maybe Sullivan should get out more and "actually try to discover some of the culture that Buffalo has to offer." He seems to spiral into a deeply depressive, spiteful, petty emotional state when cooped up in his little office...

I disagree with most of this article. My view - now that the Bills have a stable ownership who is willing to spend + offering a coach a position with a lot of power + an ever improving roster ( - QB), the Bills are actually an attractive organization to go to.

Can someone please explain to me why anyone would read that guy's "work"?

I'm sure you can go back and find, literally, the exact same piece copied and pasted with only a few particulars changed to make it current.

That's what he does, or at least that's what he'd done for years when I stopped bothering with him years ago.

As someone who moved away from Buffalo almost two decades ago, I have to ask: is the entire city one steaming pile of crap? Does anyone in Buffalo do their job competently or have the ability to think critically? I am 100% convinced that OBD is a mess, a complete, total, dysfunctional joke. Yet so are the local news organizations covering it. WGR and the Buffalo News, in particular and from what I read on this site (and through the links on the home page), appear to be third-rate (at best) media outlets populated by bitter hacks and morons. And yet they seem to cater to a large percentage of the fanbase. I can only imagine what the radio talk shows are like - stupid, bitter fans call into stoke the flames of these mouth-breathing pundits. It just seems like one big giant cesspool of mediocrity and rage. Everything is a zombie apocalypse.

Am I offbase?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

A lot of times I have supported Sullivans views. I actually get a kick out of his colums with the exception of him talking out of both sides of his mouth. But I have too admit he has gone way over the line with this article and certainly hasn't won any friends over at OBD and in particular the new owners who had absolutely zero to do with this new clusterf*%~#.

As someone who moved away from Buffalo almost two decades ago, I have to ask: is the entire city one steaming pile of crap? Does anyone in Buffalo do their job competently or have the ability to think critically? I am 100% convinced that OBD is a mess, a complete, total, dysfunctional joke. Yet so are the local news organizations covering it. WGR and the Buffalo News, in particular and from what I read on this site (and through the links on the home page), appear to be third-rate (at best) media outlets populated by bitter hacks and morons. And yet they seem to cater to a large percentage of the fanbase. I can only imagine what the radio talk shows are like - stupid, bitter fans call into stoke the flames of these mouth-breathing pundits. It just seems like one big giant cesspool of mediocrity and rage. Everything is a zombie apocalypse.

Am I offbase?

Dear Coach Marrone,

You grabbed your $4M and you badmouthed OBD on the way out. You were intent on doing damage, but it's minimal. Seriously--trolling on a Bills fan site? Let it go, big guy. Leave Buffalo alone.

Signed,

Lots of people

Jerry is irrelevant. Each new opinion piece he writes reinforces that. He obviously is not a fan of the Buffalo Bills, so why give him the time of day? Every single person that commented on that article should be ashamed of themselves, you keep that piece of trash employed.

Personally I think tbd should quit linking to his trash opinion pieces. Like I said, he is not a fan.

Everyone wants go pile on Sullivan, but I have not seen anyone refute his basic point--that the Pegulas appear to be behind the curve, reacting to events rather than acting like owners with a well-thought out plan. I tend to agree with this perception, although I totally disagree that the Pegulas should have done what was necessary to keep Marrone around. I am just looking for some evidence that they know how to run a football franchise and I'm not seeing it. I know Terry made a lot of money in the energy business, but that does not mean he knows how to run an NFL franchise.