Are the Pegulas in Over Their Heads?

jjmac

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone wants go pile on Sullivan, but I have not seen anyone refute his basic point--that the Pegulas appear to be behind the curve, reacting to events rather than acting like owners with a well-thought out plan. I tend to agree with this perception, although I totally disagree that the Pegulas should have done what was necessary to keep Marrone around. I am just looking for some evidence that they know how to run a football franchise and I'm not seeing it. I know Terry made a lot of money in the energy business, but that does not mean he knows how to run an NFL franchise.

Ok then...what, exactly, would sell you on the idea that they know how to run a football franchise?

My favorite comment was "you were once a promising NBA writer, banished to Buffalo to cover the Bills and Sabres." Ha.

Half-seriously, I kinda wish Terry had a little bit of Dan Snyder's petulance in him and decided to buy the BN. I wouldn't want him to fire Jerry, just be his boss and eventually force him to resign.

When the 2015 season officially begins, it will mark 40 years of Buffalo fanhood for me.

I'm not sure when jerry Sullivan started printing his drivel, but I have been very fortunate because I have never read his work. How, you ask?

I had the opportunity to see another Buffalo fan (complete with team tattoos) read a Jerry Sullivan article at a barber shop years ago. He groveled out loud throughout the article, was agitated when finished, threw the paper, threw his temper, threw a couple of F-bombs, then left the shop on his own without a hair-cut. To this day I have never seen the man again.

Jerry Sullivan must be the poster child "negative nancy" Even if I personally knew the man, I couldn't hang with him. Life is way too short to be this guy's door mat.

And to answer the OP's question; I think the Pegula's are a class act and one that so few come even close to matching.

Everyone wants go pile on Sullivan, but I have not seen anyone refute his basic point--that the Pegulas appear to be behind the curve, reacting to events rather than acting like owners with a well-thought out plan. I tend to agree with this perception, although I totally disagree that the Pegulas should have done what was necessary to keep Marrone around. I am just looking for some evidence that they know how to run a football franchise and I'm not seeing it. I know Terry made a lot of money in the energy business, but that does not mean he knows how to run an NFL franchise.

It appears like they wanted Polian, and had to wait for him to remove himself from prior commitments. The Jets hired 2 guys and that glorious brain-trust has led them to target Doug Marrone as their number 1 target. Hmmmmmm.

And if they're reacting a bit, it's probably because they didn't think their coach was gonna be a big bit#% and pull the cord on his golden parachute in the 11th hour. Can't really fault them for that.

Ok then...what, exactly, would sell you on the idea that they know how to run a football franchise?

How about holding a press conference where you answer questions about the rather tumultuous events of the past week and articulate what your plan is? Otherwise, the perception is that there is no real plan. How about hiring a well-respected consultant and having that person on board and working the second the ink is dry on the purchase agreement, if not before?

Perception is important in this business. After all the dysfunction at OBD over the past decades, it was important for the Pegulas to immediately demonstrate that this is a new, competent regime, with a definite plan. So far, I can't see how they have done this. Seems like a lot of confusion and questions rather than any real leadership so far.

Edited by mannc

Everyone wants go pile on Sullivan, but I have not seen anyone refute his basic point--that the Pegulas appear to be behind the curve, reacting to events rather than acting like owners with a well-thought out plan.

You nailed it! But Sullivan nailed it first! The collective denial and ignorance of Buffalo Bills fans in the past two weeks is amazing!

It appears like they wanted Polian, and had to wait for him to remove himself from prior commitments. The Jets hired 2 guys and that glorious brain-trust has led them to target Doug Marrone as their number 1 target. Hmmmmmm.

And if they're reacting a bit, it's probably because they didn't think their coach was gonna be a big bit#% and pull the cord on his golden parachute in the 11th hour. Can't really fault them for that.

Looks like they didn't do their due diligence on Pollian. There are plenty of others they could have turned to. Instead, they were embarrassingly and publicly left at the alter.

And why the surprise over the opt out? Marrone's contract has been in place for two years. Anyone paying attention would have known there was a real chance he would pull the golden parachute cord, or at a minimum use it as leverage. Hell, who wouldn't?

Edited by mannc

1. They appear to be primarily reacting to events because they have been faced with events that they had to react to.

2. Because they haven't personally informed the fans and the media of a well thought out plan does not mean they do not have one.

3. You want some evidence that they know how to run a football franchise? The season just ended and the head coach quit three or four days ago. Here is a novel idea: Why don't we at least wait to see what they ACTUALLY DO and see the RESULTS OF THOSE ACTIONS.. Then you will have your evidence one way or the other.

4. They are the new owners and probably will be for a very long time. Nobody has any idea at this point whether they will be good owners or not...whether they have a solid plan or not...etc. Time is the only thing that will give us answers. Why do we have to begin with the assumption that they are in over their heads?

How about holding a press conference where you answer questions about the rather tumultuous events of the past week and articulate what your plan is? Otherwise, the perception is that there is no real plan. How about hiring a well-respected consultant and having that person on board and working the second the ink is dry on the purchase agreement, if not before?

Perception is important in this business. After all the dysfunction at OBD over the past decades, it was important for the Pegulas to immediately demonstrate that this is a new, competent regime, with a definite plan. So far, I can't see how they have done this. Seems like a lot of confusion and questions rather than any real leadership so far.

Actually, perception means absolutely nothing whatsoever.

For example: the perception around the league is that Doug Marrone was some guru that took a talentless bunch of nobodies to a 9-7 record because of his coaching genius, while anyone that watched this team can tell you that isn't even remotely accurate.

Basically what you're saying is that because you don't know the new owner's plan it must be that they're either incompetent or that they have no plan.

Here's an idea: the plan is to let the GM, who managed to assemble the most talented team this town has had in over a decade, pick a new HC. Then the plan is to let that GM and coach fix the offense.

Do you really need Terry Pegula to announce that to you?

who has been knocking down doors to hire A.j Smith

Is it their fault Sexton and Marrone pulled a power play which was set up by Russ and the 2 year out

To empower Marrone would have been a very bad start. A average coach wanted to run the entire organization . He can't even build an offensive line

This team is far better off today then it was two weeks ago. They get a chance to hire a dynamic offense mind and pair him with a first rate defense

How many days has it been since Polian turned down an advisor position at the Biils? 2 days? Is it 3?

Do you really need them to make a public statement saying "We are looking for a HC, and we are now looking for a consultant for an advisory position." What sort of elaborate plan do you expect here?

Actually, perception means absolutely nothing whatsoever.

For example: the perception around the league is that Doug Marrone was some guru that took a talentless bunch of nobodies to a 9-7 record because of his coaching genius, while anyone that watched this team can tell you that isn't even remotely accurate.

You are wrong about that. I don't believe Marrone is responsible for the modest success the team had this year, either, but that's not the popular perception, and Marrone is about to be hired as the Jets' coach because of the likely false perception that he turned around the hapless Bills.

"The honeymoon is over, folks. One week after the end of the regular season, there’s blood in the water and the Pegulas are in over their heads."

The "blood" being losing QB Kyle Orton, HC Doug Marrone, OC Nate Hackett, and former GM Bill Polian.

"When the Bills finished 9-7, their first winning season in 10 years, it was tempting to see them as a team on the rise."

To have kept the Buffalo bills a "team on the rise" they needed to keep as many key personnel from the 2014 season as possible. Instead the Bills lost key personnel.

2015 Season Prediction: 6-10

You are wrong about that. I don't believe Marrone is responsible for the modest success the team had this year, either, but that's not the popular perception, and Marrone is about to be hired as the Jets' coach because of the likely false perception that he turned around the hapless Bills.

You do not believe that there is this perception out there that Doug Marrone is responsible for the modest success of this team, yet, you believe the Jets will hire him because there is this perception out there that Doug Marrone is responsible for the modest success of this team?

How many days has it been since Polian turned down an advisor position at the Biils? 2 days? Is it 3?

Do you really need them to make a public statement saying "We are looking for a HC, and we are now looking for a consultant for an advisory position." What sort of elaborate plan do you expect here?

They never should have put themselves in a position where someone like Pollian could publicly embarrass them by leaving them at the alter. Someone else should have been on board long ago,