Are the Pegulas in Over Their Heads?

jjmac

I'm more inclined to believe that Pegs was going to hire a czar immediately, but saw that the team was competitive and winning. Then things started to regress offensively towards the end of the season, and after it was over, he thought about bringing in someone because he wasn't confident in Marrone. Hence the reason he didn't offer extensions.

Very Plausible and likely...

Also have to wonder how much of the discord Pegs saw and witnessed at OBD between the time he took control and now. Who was throwing who under the bus and trying to gain leverage. The czar is needed to help remove the RW's fools from this ship

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone appears to be but one of the several major problems in the organization. However, with the widespread dislike/suspicion of Marrone that is coming to light now, chances are a consultant just might have gotten a sense of what was to come and relayed that to his employer. At the very least a consultant would be sure that the owner at least knew that the head coach could opt out at some point with the coming of a new owner. With that knowledge, the owner could have developed a series of options if/when the opt out came to pass.

Do we know that Pegula wasn't aware of Marrone's opt-out clause? Or is this just an assumption? I'm asking seriously b/c I haven't read an official article saying that the owner/mgmt was not aware of it. I'd assume that they WERE aware of it until I'm told/read otherwise. Whether he would exercise it or not is a completely different animal.

I hope that is not true. Would show startling bad business judgement not hiring a consultant to help him evaluate the situation just because the team was playing better than expected. He is a better businessman than that however, at least in my opinion.

It is a sports franchise and not just another business...

Do we know that Pegula wasn't aware of Marrone's opt-out clause? Or is this just an assumption? I'm asking seriously b/c I haven't read an official article saying that the owner/mgmt was not aware of it. I'd assume that they WERE aware of it until I'm told/read otherwise. Whether he would exercise it or not is a completely different animal.

Well, I guess since there wasn't a consultant's report to review, we may never know who knew what and when...kinda' like our government, eh? The fact remains, you asked what I wanted done and I told you what I felt should have been done since day one.

When it comes right down to the nitty gritty, have any of us read an "official article" about anything that has happened over the past few days? And then there's the possibility that if there was an official article from OBD most of us would be skeptical of whatever it said...given that yesterday is the best predictor of tomorrow.

It is a sports franchise and not just another business...

So to the Pegulas it's more like an electric train in the cellar than a business worthy of a 1.4 billion dollar investment?

jeff littman and polian have a history of clashing. littman is probably the main guy who was bashing polian to pegula. littman is gone.

marrone wanted out, plain and simple. marrone's contract, thanks to Brandon, made it easy. nothing pegula could do.

the idea that pegula is in over his head because of these two developments is laughable.

So to the Pegulas it's more like an electric train in the cellar than a business worthy of a 1.4 billion dollar investment?

Not in this situation, IMO. If you are not competent to make decisions you hire someone who is. Business 101, sports franchise or no sports franchise.

KTD said it well, but you can't go poking around and having everyone on their toes and CYA'ing themselves while you are in the middle of a playoff run.

Think about the distraction, the he said she-said schit that would by taking everyone in the bills organizations eyes off the prize and putting it squarely on their own a$$es.

All of this crap would be coming out now when we were still playing football. If you think this is a train wreck can you imagine having to deal with this crap week after week game after game, players coaches everyone...

That would have been the worst move he could have made

Wow, I couldn't wait to log on and see the hissy fit over this column and I sure wasn't disappointed. Another great 8th-grade-girls-cafeteria-table moment brought to you by the koolaid drinkers at TBD.

Sullivan is 100% right -they should have lined up some expertise immediately upon learning their bid was accepted...did they learn nothing from the Sabres debacle?

Now the braintrust who frittered away next year's number #1 and left EJ as our best option at QB are leading a coaching search, but the successful candidate will report the the ...owner?

To say it looks a little messy is putting it politely.

I will say Sully picked a bad time to flat-out TROLL his haters after his stupid tweeting yesterday regarding Sammy. And I disagree completely that Polian is so damn irreplacable that they should have moved heaven and earth to get him here. But I don't know how you can argue that the Pegulas haven't already messed up.

They better just hope that whoever they land to coach this team can get something out of EJ and manages the roster better than Marrone. If they can do that, all this "controversy" just dissolves away. But they're going to have to get lucky. If they just go out and hire Frank Reich because he is a hero here and fine christian, then we'll know we're in trouble. They seem to be driven more by nostalgia than good judgment.

While I can understand why the Pegula's waited to hire a senior football adviser, as they were being pitched by the slickest marketing man ever into thinking continuity. If the Bills had made the playoffs then probably nothing changes. Not only didn't the team not make the playoffs they lost to a bad 2-12 Oakland Raider team, and looked lost doing it. Hence, changes.

I know I no longer trust Doug Whaley / Russ Brandon to get it right considering they did waste the 2015 #1 & #4 picks, did mess up with EJ, has not built a decent O line even tho they have throw 5 plus players at it. Now with no #1 pick, no QB. I can see Buffalo as probably the worst choice for a obtaining a new HC. I have no idea how Russ Brandon still has a job after approving that 4 million dollar contract in allowing Marrone to walk and still get paid, and if Pegula had wanted to fire him it would have been 8 mill. Just profoundly stupid.

Info is slowly being released on whats been happening behind the scenes, and its more of indictment against the current Bills FO. Marrone was upset the 2015 #1 pick was used on something other then a QB. That Marrone wanted better for the O line then Kraig Urbik. I was hoping we wouldn't see the owners being involved in any internal football operations like hiring the head coach.

CBS sports NFL today Jason La Canfora reported that Terry Pegula had indeed agreed to an extension with Marrone only to have St Doug call back and say he was leaving. Man, that last part is huge because it means Marrone, and Hackett would have been back for 2015.

The faster the new owners hire a team president / senior adviser the happier I'll be. If they don't then I can see the team staying a mess this year.

Edited by FeartheLosing

KTD said it well, but you can't go poking around and having everyone on their toes and CYA'ing themselves while you are in the middle of a playoff run.

Think about the distraction, the he said she-said schit that would by taking everyone in the bills organizations eyes off the prize and putting it squarely on their own a$$es.

All of this crap would be coming out now when we were still playing football. If you think this is a train wreck can you imagine having to deal with this crap week after week game after game, players coaches everyone...

That would have been the worst move he could have made

Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one....

I hope that is not true. Would show startling bad business judgement not hiring a consultant to help him evaluate the situation just because the team was playing better than expected. He is a better businessman than that however, at least in my opinion.

If the team was looking good without one, why get one? Only after problems surfaced did he feel he might need one. And again, IMHO a football czar is overrated. Basically in this era it's all about finding a QB, which is no easy feat even for a "czar."

Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one....

...and they usually stink.

Hiring a consultant mid season and "right off the bat" would have done some damage internally "right off the bat". And I'm going to guess that just "hiring a consultant" is easier said than done as well. Also pretty sure that it was said back at the sale that they were considering bringing in a consultant after the end of the season. I think if there was a mistake, It was considering Polian for the job.

Wow, I couldn't wait to log on and see the hissy fit over this column and I sure wasn't disappointed. Another great 8th-grade-girls-cafeteria-table moment brought to you by the koolaid drinkers at TBD.

Sullivan is 100% right -they should have lined up some expertise immediately upon learning their bid was accepted...did they learn nothing from the Sabres debacle?

Now the braintrust who frittered away next year's number #1 and left EJ as our best option at QB are leading a coaching search, but the successful candidate will report the the ...owner?

To say it looks a little messy is putting it politely.

I will say Sully picked a bad time to flat-out TROLL his haters after his stupid tweeting yesterday regarding Sammy. And I disagree completely that Polian is so damn irreplacable that they should have moved heaven and earth to get him here. But I don't know how you can argue that the Pegulas haven't already messed up.

They better just hope that whoever they land to coach this team can get something out of EJ and manages the roster better than Marrone. If they can do that, all this "controversy" just dissolves away. But they're going to have to get lucky. If they just go out and hire Frank Reich because he is a hero here and fine christian, then we'll know we're in trouble. They seem to be driven more by nostalgia than good judgment.

=======================================================

:lol::thumbsup:

Nice post. It's definitely a mess, I feel bad for the Pegulas. The one good thing is that it should be crystal clear to them who's responsible for the mess. They know who hired the coach, who signed off on the $4M opt-out, and who couldn't manage the Marrone-Whaley relationship. The buck stops at Russ.

:lol::thumbsup:

Nice post. It's definitely a mess, I feel bad for the Pegulas. The one good thing is that it should be crystal clear to them who's responsible for the mess. They know who hired the coach, who signed off on the $4M opt-out, and who couldn't manage the Marrone-Whaley relationship. The buck stops at Russ.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It entirely stops at Russ. Our best bet is to try to poach Thompson from the Packers or someone like him to be president. The entire place needs to be scrubbed down

Damn the quoting sucks

Edited by Reed83HOF