Take Simpson's Name Down

Gugny

Simpson's Name on the Wall of Fame  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Should Simpson's Name Be Removed From the Wall?

It's beyond sad...it is a complete horror. he willfully murdered 2 innocent people. he does not deserve recognition as a team hero when he is, in fact, a disgrace and embarrassment to the Bills.

I have to agree. As a Buffalo sports fan, I recognize the argument from folks that think it should stay up. I really do. But it's a complete embarrassment when any non Bills fans see it in the stadium. I've fielded that question a bunch of times at games, and I, personally, do not say "well he was a great player." I just feel ashamed that it's up there with the real heroes on that wall.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if we did just take the name off, but left the 32 up?

Personally, I say no. I'd even go so far as to give the #32 to some practice squad guy, or even someone on the 53. Just another number. Just another jersey. People can remember him on their own terms. No need to force it on others who don't want to.

Changing history to meet people's sensitivities is a bad idea. The history on that wall: He was a Hell of a ball player, NOT he was a Hell of an upstanding citizen.

Do we have to have a yearly review of everyone on the wall to make sure they meet community standards? Now, should we scour police records and news stories and remove anyone who ever hit his wife, snorted blow or said something politically incorrect?

Further, he was found not guilty. The thing he was found guilty of was, I think, trying to steal his own freaking trophy back.

I respect the view that his name represents what he did on the field.

I am also also extremely embarrassed to see his name on our stadium wall because it represents the ultimate scum bag, murderer, thief and liar he is as a man.

If you ask the average American what they think when they see his name on our wall when the cameras scan the stadium, I would guess the ladder..

It's bad for Buffalo and a bad example to the young people of WNY.

His name should come down.

Edited by George C

It continues to amaze me how people can trivialize a double-murder and put it into the "did a bad thing" category.

I believe in separating sports from real life ... but for God's sake, you don't choose the sports accomplishments over the double murder.

It's a societal flaw in which the importance of sports superiority trumps the importance of character.

it's why when star high school athletes get caught doing things wrong - parents, teachers and administrators look the other way ... because winning is more important than teaching a life lesson.

Winning is more important than doing the right thing. That is a problem.

So dramatic...

I guess indictments make headlines and aquittals the back page. The man was found innocent of double-murder, you have to respect that or you don't respect the American justice system.

Now Gug, you are good guy... You can have you opinion if he did it or not, but the man was found innocent by a jury of his peers. Enough said.

Now, if you want to take his name down becuase of the other stuff he is sitting in the pokey for, I can respect that more...

Peace...

I have to agree. As a Buffalo sports fan, I recognize the argument from folks that think it should stay up. I really do. But it's a complete embarrassment when any non Bills fans see it in the stadium. I've fielded that question a bunch of times at games, and I, personally, do not say "well he was a great player." I just feel ashamed that it's up there with the real heroes on that wall.

Non-Bills fans are doing it to be douchebags, make it uneasy... Screw them. They need to go back to civics class.

Never run from controversy! Better his name stays up and a dialog is created...

I'm ambivalent about this.

Nothing in my history of Bills fandom gave me greater joy, and quickened my pulse, like watching OJ breaking into the open field. His name on the Wall of Fame conjures up images of his miraculous grace, power and vision when he wore number 32 for the Bills. His feats of gridiron magic are indelibly stamped in our collective memories and that's why his name is there.

On the other hand, post-Buffalo OJ is a scumbag murderer. I wonder what the relatives of his victims think when they see his name still on the Wall. Why do we glorify a monster?

For me it would be a tough call but if I were Terry Pegula, the name would come down.

I respect the view that his name represents what he did on the field.

I am also also extremely embarrassed to see his name on our stadium wall because it represents the ultimate scum bag, murderer, thief and liar he is as a man.

If you ask the average American what they think when they see his name on our wall when the cameras scan the stadium, I would guess the ladder..

It's bad for Buffalo and a bad example to the young people of WNY.

His name should come down.

I agree with the above, with the obvious exception to "the ladder", which has rungs, and.....well, you know.

I have to tell a story. A number of years back, I was doing my chemical coatings salesman thing, returning home from a trip to a plant in Ontario. Of course, listening to WGR the whole time. They were discussing the change of name of the stadium from Rich to something else, and the discussion was what should the name be?

Never having called into a radio show before, I blithely dialed up the number, and much to my surprise, I was put through immediately. No pre-discussion screening of what I wanted to say, etc. So I start in on how any city that can welcome back to town the wide right Bills with a mass gathering on the tarmac at the airport, and then blow up the gathering at City Hall the next day with chants of "Scotty, Scotty, Scotty" is, plain and simple, a community that knows what it means to 'do the right thing'. Then I suggested that a community such as ours should logically name the stadium after Nicole Brown Simpson. They hung up on me like I was oozing leprosy through the phone.

Haven't called another radio station before or since, right?

One of the all time great sports nicknames. Cant take that away from him.

If they did take it down, id love to get ahold of those old letters. Id hang them up on my garage door.

Edited by mastershake

How come nobody wears their Simpson jerseys anymore? You'd think with all the fans he has in Buffalo, you'd still see them, at least once in a while.

GO BILLS!!!

I find it odd that people wear jerseys. Even odder that they have another man's name on the back, any name on it. I don't wear any jersey... Never even owned one.

I guess it is a newer trend, jersey wearing. There were probably a few people back 40 years ago when OJ was playing for the Bills, but mostly 32's without the name. I always found jeresey wearing kinda weird. It doesn't take an aquitted man for me to shy away from his number and name.

Maybe this is the problem w/the whole name thing bothering people... Way too much worship. It bleeds into what's on The Wall. I am a big "social message" guy, this is just one area where you can't stomp your feet and hold your breath till people get their way.

To all the yes voters... Take up a petition, Change.org etc... And get the Pegulas to change it. I can respect the activism and the will of the owners and majority of fans whatever happens. It simply doesn't bother or embarass me. I am more embarassed that people are embarassed... Ha, if that makes sense.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I find it odd that people wear jerseys. Even odder that they have another man's name on the back, any name on it. I don't wear any jersey... Never even owned one.

I guess it is a newer trend, jersey wearing. There were probably a few people back 40 years ago when OJ was playing for the Bills, but mostly 32's without the name. I always found jeresey wearing kinda weird. It doesn't take an aquitted man for me to shy away from his number and name.

Maybe this is the problem w/the whole name thing bothering people... Way too much worship. It bleeds into what's on The Wall. I am a big "social message" guy, this is just one area where you can't stomp your feet and hold your breath till people get their way.

To all the yes voters... Take up a petition, Change.org etc... And get the Pegulas to change it. I can respect the activism and the will of the owners and majority of fans whatever happens. It simply doesn't bother or embarass me. I am more embarassed that people are embarassed... Ha, if that makes sense.

I'm glad you caught the gist of my post. I just thought it was interesting to wonder if all the people that have no problems with his name on the wall would also have no problems with his name on their back. Guilty or not, the Wall of Fame honoring his football career or not, he's a pariah in society.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

How come nobody wears their Simpson jerseys anymore? You'd think with all the fans he has in Buffalo, you'd still see them, at least once in a while.

GO BILLS!!!

You'd probably provoke a fight and might get thrown out by the Bills. Name on the wall or not.

Oh on top of that the jerseys may be worth some money.

Edited by HalftimeAdjustment

The real heroes on that wall are up there for the same reason Simpson's name is up on the wall; contributions to the organization. Kalsu and Mr. Wilson, as Veterans, are the only true Heroes on the wall. The rest are "heroes" to the Bills organization. No more. No less. What fans outside of Bills fans have to say about it is irrelevant.

You'd probably provoke a fight and might get thrown out by the Bills. Name on the wall or not.

Saw a couple #32's at the Vikings game. I always do.

Edited by purple haze

Personally, I say no. I'd even go so far as to give the #32 to some practice squad guy, or even someone on the 53. Just another number. Just another jersey. People can remember him on their own terms. No need to force it on others who don't want to.

But you're trying to force your view on people who don't mind the name being on the wall, or care one way or the other. Ironic, no? Have you reached out to the the Bills Alumni Association with your desire? How about the media that covers the team? If you get those groups behind you, you might very well get what you want.

Edited by purple haze