Have the Bills learned their lesson??

So many times in the recent past the Bills brain trust has tried to find that "diamond in the rough" HC.

G. Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone.............the list reads like a who's who of coaches who never accomplished a damn thing as an NFL HC prior to being hired by the Bills. Not a damn thing.

Each one has been one very big mistake after the other.

And yet the wisdom that is this board continues to call for those who fit that very same category. "Let's hire Quinn or Bevell or Gase" they say. "No, I like H. Jackson or F. Reich" others would say.

Wake up people. Wake the f-iretr-uck up!!!!!!

After hiring at least five very weak HC hopefuls don't you think that it's finally time to bring in a HC who actually has had a very successful track record?? Someone who has proven to be a successful NFL HC, who has NFL connections, who has won multiple SBs, and who has actually outcoached B. Beenachick over the years. If I told you that that guy was available, would you want the Bills to hire him??

As the very wise M. Levy used to say, "If you don't know your history, you're doomed to repeat it"!!

Yes, it's finally time to go with the proven NFL HC...............and see where that takes us. I just hope that the Pegulas are listening.

All those proven HCs you are referring to, were also once unproven up and coming coordinators. I don't like the idea of gase, I think he's too young, and has had Peyton to overcome any shortcomings. I'd have no problem with a first time coach, I just hope Whaley knows the right questions to ask during the interview, and doesn't just go in there wanting the "anti-Doug"

Oh yeah... IN

So many times in the recent past the Bills brain trust has tried to find that "diamond in the rough" HC.

G. Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone.............the list reads like a who's who of coaches who never accomplished a damn thing as an NFL HC prior to being hired by the Bills. Not a damn thing.

And yet the wisdom that is this board continues to call for those who fit that very same category. "Let's hire Quinn or Bevell or Gase" they say. "No, I like H. Jackson or F. Reich" others would say.

After hiring at least five very weak HC hopefuls don't you think that it's finally time to bring in a HC who actually has had a very successful track record?? Someone who has proven to be a successful NFL HC, who has NFL connections, who has won multiple SBs, and who has actually outcoached B. Beenachick over the years. If I told you that that guy was available, would you want the Bills to hire him??

As the very wise M. Levy used to say, "If you don't know your history, you're doomed to repeat it"!!

Yes, it's finally time to go with the proven NFL HC...............and see where that takes us. I just hope that the Pegulas are listening.

Don't tell me, let me guess...you want Shanahan

I think the TBD'ian who posited Shanahan wants San Francisco and will interview with the Bills to leverage that interest, is probably correct.

But to address some of your points:

1) Everybody wants a Superbowl winning HC. None of us are the same people we were 10 years ago. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

So if you're hiring a guy who proved he could do it 10 years ago, are you hiring a Superbowl winning coach of today, or are you hiring a guy who won Superbowls 10 years ago?

2) You do have a point about hiring people who haven't accomplished a damn thing in the NFL. But that point also applies to a lot of today's Superbowl winning HCs. What had Harbaugh accomplished in the NFL before the Ravens? Nothing! He wasn't even an OC or DC - he was a ST and DB coach! What had Carroll accomplished before the Seahawks? Nothing! He was a failure as a HC with the Jets AND The Patriots. What had Belichick accomplished in the NFL prior to NE HC? Some success as the DC for the Superbowl winning Giants, but he was unimpressive as the HC in Cleveland with only one winning season. So if they followed your mantra, none of these organizations would be enjoying the success they currently have.

I would like to suggest that knowing history or being doomed to repeat it may not be the straightfoward task you portray.

Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey were both former HCs who had taken a team to the playoffs.

I do agree with he OP's original premise. I'm tired of screwing around trying to hit the home run and the right guy before someone else does. I want to pick someone who has done something significant in the NFL as a HC. Winning a playoff game is my criteria.

Presently that inclues Shanahan, Rex, Jim Mora Jr., and Gary Kubiak. Get one of these guys.

Shanahan would get our run game back stat. That would help out EJ or whoever. He knows how to win and the SB ring brings instant buy in and credibility with the players. All he had to do is concentrate on the offense which he knows.

Any of the other guys like Bevell, Quinn, Gase (gag me), Jackson, or Reich are total long shot crap shoots. Yeah they may hit, but based on our and Whaley's record, we are likely right back here in a few years.

Stop fooling around. Pick someone we know can do it because he's already done it.

Go BILLS !!!

Williams and Mularkey were hired by Donahoe, they were on no one's radar. He hired them so they would owe him. He was never going to lose another power struggle to a coach. After Mularkey quit, Jauron was all they could find. Gailey was a case of one old fool hires another old fool, who hires another old fool. As much as I'm glad Marrone is gone at least the hire was un-Ralph like. Ralph would have hired Lovie Smith.

This is all very true and I agree completely. However, what good is it to say this? All Bills fans want experience at our HC position. All Bills fans want a good HC. No one wants to settle for less. You say great things, but what's your plan? Any great, experienced, talented and intelligent HC's with trophies out there and willing to crawl out of retirement to work for a team without a QB? We might have to settle for some of the new guys. Its not always as easy as you make it seem...You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

The lesson learned is that you never ever ever hire a coach from freaking Syracuse football! Total second rate team decade after decade. How could the front office be so foolish and short sighted!?

He was cheap...

Edited by Uffalo Ills

My answer to this is simple - I want the Buffalo Bills to win a Superbowl. No Superbowl winning head coach has ever moved to a different organisation and won another Superbowl. Parcells and Holmgren are the only two men who have ever been back to Superbowl with another team. And only Shula, Reeves and Vermeil can be added to that list as guys that have coached two different teams in Superbowls.

Basically, whilst it sounds great on paper the reality of the NFL is that is just as much of a long shot as taking on a first time Head Coach. My preference is actually for a Jackson, Kubiak or Schwartz who showed enough in their first stint to show themselves capable and might be able to take that on and learn from the experience to be better 2nd time around.

Edited by GunnerBill

My answer to this is simple - I want the Buffalo Bills to win a Superbowl. No Superbowl winning head coach has ever moved to a different organisation and won another Superbowl. Parcells and Holmgren are the only two men who have ever been back to Superbowl with another team. And only Shula, Reeves and Vermeil can be added to that list as guys that have coached two different teams in Superbowls.

Basically, whilst it sounds great on paper the reality of the NFL is that is just as much of a long shot as taking on a first time Head Coach. My preference is actually for a Jackson, Kubiak or Schwartz who showed enough in their first stint to show themselves capable and might be able to take that on and learn from the experience to be better 2nd time around.

We need quarterbacks and O Lineman so hopefully the search will be short so we can move on to important roster issues

I think the TBD'ian who posited Shanahan wants San Francisco and will interview with the Bills to leverage that interest, is probably correct.

1) Everybody wants a Superbowl winning HC. None of us are the same people we were 10 years ago. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

So if you're hiring a guy who proved he could do it 10 years ago, are you hiring a Superbowl winning coach of today, or are you hiring a guy who won Superbowls 10 years ago?

2) You do have a point about hiring people who haven't accomplished a damn thing in the NFL. But that point also applies to a lot of today's Superbowl winning HCs. What had Harbaugh accomplished in the NFL before the Ravens? Nothing! He wasn't even an OC or DC - he was a ST and DB coach! What had Carroll accomplished before the Seahawks? Nothing! He was a failure as a HC with the Jets AND The Patriots. What had Belichick accomplished in the NFL prior to NE HC? Some success as the DC for the Superbowl winning Giants, but he was unimpressive as the HC in Cleveland with only one winning season. So if they followed your mantra, none of these organizations would be enjoying the success they currently have.

I would like to suggest that knowing history or being doomed to repeat it may not be the straightfoward task you portray.

Posts like these are why I come to this board. Informed, concise, smart, courteous.

Jimmy Johnson? Don Shula??

Ultimately, whether it is an inexperience coach or a Super Bowl winning coach, the only thing that defines a good hire versus a bad hire is when you look back at it retrospectively. I tend to believe a lot of posters here think you just hire a certain guy and that guarantees success. It never does. The list of losers, both experienced and inexperienced far exceeds the successful list.

Take Marv Levy. I thought it was a terrible hire. A marginal head coach if there ever was one when he was hired. But I am sure most here think he was one of the best head coaches the Bills ever had.

First off the reason the Dick Jaurons of the world are hired by the Bills is because RW for all his charity giving, never seemed to want to pay much $$ for coaches or at least that was preception. He is now out of the picture as is his money man Littman. Even Tom Donahoe could only spend the money on a coach that those two would allow. All these year the front office folks could only go along with what those two said. Yeah Buddy Nix, and Marv, and Brandon were GM's, but thee were GM's that were given allowances, and from everything stated were not allowed to exceed.

As to hiring the Marrones, Mularkeys, and Williams of the world, as was pointed out Carroll, both Harbaough's, Garrett, to name a few were all unknowns until given their first HC position. So the three new guys the Bill's hired had the same chance of success or failure as anyone.

There are two groups of established winning coaches out there, those currently working for a team which kind of hard to get one of them unless you want to give up a ton of draft picks or something. Once every ten years or so there may be a good established coach who doesn't want to work anymore for his current team and they mutually agree to part ways, but those are rare. (John Gruden, Jim Harbaugh)

So that leaves one other group, established coaches who have "retired" either by their own choice or the teams choice. The trouble with many of those is while they had one or even two good runs, they are usually living off past achievements, and no promise that they can do it again. Their prior success as a HC makes them feel they can now ask for additional power, coach/GM etc and their prowess as a GM never got them where they got to in the first place. (See Bill Parsells.)

So unless you get a guy who just got out of football and still has the passion, the chances of these guys doing well is likely about as good of odds as finding the next Bill Cowler with a brand new HC choice. And usually if you get the guy who was just fired, then he's maybe no better than a Marrone, Williams, etc. as he was fired because he didn't win.

Agree. I would like to add that almost all of the perceived very good to great coaches had very good to great QB's. Fox & Belicheck are very good coaches but what were their records before Manning & Brady? I'm a little too lazy to look it up, but I bet their records were around 500%. Go Bills.