Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHY??? The game has passed him by. No old and worn out retreads please.

Same was said about Dick Vermeil. He brought a Super Bowl title to St. Louis. Please don't use the he's too old argument for any coach the Bills are considering.

My honest opinion on Shanahan. I don't give him a pass for Washington. He is not my first choice or a top 5 choice. I wouldn't hate it as we need to fix the offense as long as Schwartz stays. But, I am not even kidding, I don't think I could look at his orange face on the sidelines!

If he wins and gets us to the playoffs I could.

No one denies the big numbers out up by Griffin in his rookie year. What people will debate though is his "greatness" that was ruined by injury as you like to tout. I posit that he was never great and that he's one and done because of a gimmick offense that was not sustainable (see other read option baby named Kaepernick) . If he can't adjust to running an offense like a traditional drop back QB, he will be no more than a footnote in history.

The read-option is not a gimmick; it continues to be effective and teams are using the hell out of it.

Barnwell again: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/week-12-wrap-up-together-we-appreciate-football/

I could be on board with this. Here are the pros:

1. Successful head coach, Redskins stint notwithstanding.

2. Would make it less likely for Schwartz to kvetch over being passed over meaning defense stays intact.

3. Can establish a running game from thin air.

4. Knows how to beat Belichick.

I say do it.

agree with everything except number 3.

once he's got that outside zone cookin, it's tought to stop - check the number of backs, other than TD, that had carreer years cutting back through the Denver outside zone..

the thing is, he's gonna bring in a new elephant herder to thin out our O line - both literally, and figuratively - and he'll need a commitment from the GM that this is doable to a degree this season.

another concern is his WCO roots in the timed passing game.. but if his offensive mind can't integrate better vertical schemes to mask EJ's innacuracy on timing routes - i don't know who can. .. and if anyone thinks the Bills are going to hire a HC that doesn't have a plan to salvage their first round pick - better think again.

remember - barring any unforseen events (the Buffalo kiss of death, if there ever was one ;)) with our D, we don't have to lead the league in scoring.. we just have to get average NFL production from our O to make the post-season.

Edited by BackInDaDay